MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• brionz
    brionz Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 November 2014 at 11:07AM
    Options
    Thanks spenderdave for your reply. I've checked the emails that Sky sent me last year and cannot find anything that mentions that I was getting a 12 month introductory discount and that my bill was going up to £15 after a year. Did you get informed of this by email? Is anyone else as shocked as me by this month's bill?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2014 at 12:04PM
    Options
    When they were ready to "migrate" o2 customers who hadn't accepted any bribes to transfer early to sky under a new 12 month deal they sent a letter announcing the intended migration month.

That letter had the details of how much they intended to charge, together with any "welcome discount" being given.

It stated in that letter that if you were happy to move to sky that if you paid the next bill for your "existing service" they would assume you agreed to move on the terms stated.

There was no minimum contract, and it does say the "welcome discount" is for the first 12 months. (On the back of the letter, together with all the other relevant details of the package)

Maybe you can get a reduced rate now if you agree to a new 12 month minimum contract.
  • brionz
    brionz Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Quentin. I'll need to track down that letter then. I've only been looking at my emails which do not mention the length of a welcome discount. I'm not prepared to pay £15 a month for standard broadband when there are much better offers available so it looks like it might be time to switch.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The £15/month is the standard price with no minimum contract. (The welcome discount (depending on how big they made it) was a good deal because you could leave at any time without penalty if it turned out sky wasn't any good etc)

The better offers you refer to will have some sort of minimum contract, with cancellation fees to pay should you want to leave.

You may be able to get the £15 reduced in return for a contract.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    brionz wrote: »
    Thank you Quentin. I'll need to track down that letter then. I've only been looking at my emails which do not mention the length of a welcome discount. I'm not prepared to pay £15 a month for standard broadband when there are much better offers available so it looks like it might be time to switch.

My friend was paying Sky £5pm after her transfer over from O2 - this was a 12 month deal. Her Sky account showed it was to jump to £15pm.

I told her to phone Sky and request her MAC. Within minutes she had been offered a further 12 month deal at £5pm.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 November 2014 at 7:13PM
    Options
    I am on my second FREE year with Sky !

BT Basic for land line and a few calls so a total of just over £120 for 2 years land line and Broadband !
  • I was on a free 12 month sky broadband deal and had BT line rental.

However the broadband from sky was going to £15 pm at end of the deal.

They have now offered me free broadband again for another 12 months if i take my line rental with them also which is £16.40 pm.

Therfore the total charge is the £16.40(which incls caller display and weekend calls).

If i had not called sky i would have been paying bt £16.99 pm line rental and £15 pm broadband to sky,

Just so people are aware you can find good deals but you need to put in some effort and thanks for previous advice on this board.
  • monsieur_epargnant
    Options
    I have to say that BE were possibly one of the most consistently GREAT companies I had the pleasure of dealing with. Incredible speeds and brilliant service from the entire team.

Sky straight up are the WORST I have dealt with. I was looking to move to a local provider Community Fibre but 15 months later they have proven useless and cost me a minimum of 12 per month by having to stick with Sky & BT by avoiding being locked into a contract.

So this morning I have ordered a box from RELISH broadband on a 12 month contract. This will save me money either way and a ton of stress from those other 3 companies. Charges coming out of their ears that they stuff the consumer over with at every opportunity is no way to do business when we have so many choices.

And to be honest I am totally shocked by the fact some people have had free internet. I have been surviving on an average of £10 per week for food for a year. That kind of good for some and not for others policy within businesses is very very wrong. High fives to those who managed to score it though.
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to say that BE were possibly one of the most consistently GREAT companies I had the pleasure of dealing with. Incredible speeds and brilliant service from the entire team.

Sky straight up are the WORST I have dealt with. I was looking to move to a local provider Community Fibre but 15 months later they have proven useless and cost me a minimum of 12 per month by having to stick with Sky & BT by avoiding being locked into a contract.

So this morning I have ordered a box from RELISH broadband on a 12 month contract. This will save me money either way and a ton of stress from those other 3 companies. Charges coming out of their ears that they stuff the consumer over with at every opportunity is no way to do business when we have so many choices.

And to be honest I am totally shocked by the fact some people have had free internet. I have been surviving on an average of £10 per week for food for a year. That kind of good for some and not for others policy within businesses is very very wrong. High fives to those who managed to score it though.

Relish will cost £20 a month, so how is that a saving ? The full price for broadband and line from Sky is £26.40 (from December), but as an existing customer you can haggle that down.

What is wrong with some people being able to negotiate free broadband ? Sky are quite happy to offer it, as part of a deal, in fact they gave me free line rental, which is even better.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2014 at 6:55PM
    Options
    brionz wrote: »
    The advisor I chatted to online was not at all helpful and told me that I should have known it was only a 12 month discount and they were not prepared to extend it. I would be interested to know if anyone else is in the same boat? I will be logging a formal complaint.
    My 12 months is due to expire as well, I was charged £5 a month with a £40 cashback, so a total of £20 for the year (I don't have tv or phone line with them). To be fair my connection has been pretty good over the year. I noticed it is due to increase to £15 on the 24th Dec, I was sort of expecting that but it seems to be increasing again in Jan15 to £18. I think I may just give them a call ;)
    I have just noticed the extra £3 was for McAfee.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure