Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Sharron_and_Paul
    Options
    Can anyone help.
    On the 27th May 2017 our flight was cancelled at Heathrow Airport to Manchester.
    My husband has terminal cancer and they advised us just to make our own way home and send them the receipts. Our luggage with my husband meds returned up 3 days later.
    After sending in the receipts for refreshments, taxi and train and a request for the refund on flight and compensation for the cancelled flight we heard nothing. So I completed the online small claims against British airways (BA) Ltd and British Airways Plc. (Just because I did not know who to claim against.) They have both submitted a defence British Airways (BA) Ltd claim they are not to blame as it is only a subsidiary of BA plc. We have not actually received a copy of the defence of BA Plc todate.
    We have now received a cheque for the Refreshment and taxi receipt but not the Train fare or refunded on the flight.
    What do we do now. Complete the questionnaire and set aside first defendant?
    How do we know what the 2nd defendant defence is?
    HELP.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Sharron and Paul
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. Did you send an LBA before submitting your small claims?
    With the benefit of hindsight and for future reference it would be wise to find out the correct defendant in advance.
    Your claim is most likely against BA plc if you look on the website for booking.
    Why was your flight cancelled?
    You should inform the court that you no longer wish to persue the claim against British Airways Ltd.
    And await the defence from BA plc. They should send you a copy as well as submit one to the court.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After sending in the receipts for refreshments, taxi and train and a request for the refund on flight and compensation for the cancelled flight we heard nothing.

You cannot request a refund of the flight and reimbursement of your train. It's either or.
  • Sharron_and_Paul
    Options
    Hi

I sent a covering letter and receipts to BA Customer service both by post recorded delivery and online. The flight was cancelled because on the 27th May the computer system went down. I will stop the claim against BA Ltd.

Thanks
  • summerishere11
    Options
    To JPears

We were more than 2 hours late to our final destination, we didn't arrive in Seville till about 20 hours late on the 7th of June, but I'm guessing it won't matter in this case as both the first cancelled flight and the second rescheduled but delayed flight was to do with bad winds/weather then.
  • JPears
    Options
    They may put in the defence that you didn't follow pre court protocol by not sending an NBA or LBA. But a minor point.
    As jps says you claim compensation. You also claim either a refund or the cost of onward travel (whichever is the greater). You cannot claim both.
    Hope that helps.
    Have you donwloaded and read young Vauban's most helpful guide?

• JPears
    Options
    To JPears

We were more than 2 hours late to our final destination, we didn't arrive in Seville till about 20 hours late on the 7th of June, but I'm guessing it won't matter in this case as both the first cancelled flight and the second rescheduled but delayed flight was to do with bad winds/weather then.
    Yes.
    What I am trying to explain is that even if your original flight was not cancelled due to weather, but a Non EC such as technical problem with aircraft, you still would not be eligable for compensation as the replacement flight was scheduled to arrive less than 2 hours later than your orginal.
    So double whammied when you include the weather.

• Annie_Clark
    Options
    Hello. Can anyone tell me how long does it take for BA to pay compensation? From filling out a claim online directly with BA, to compensation payment?

Two days ago (2 August 2017) I travelled from OTP-LHR on BA0887.

The plane took off from OTP, then returned to OTP after 1+ hrs in the air. They announced it was due to "issues with the autopilot". Said issues were fixed and we boarded the same plane, several hours later. Delay on arrival to LHR was a little over 4 hours and distance is more than 2500km so that means €400 compensation, I believe.

Thanks.

Hello all. Just posting an update on this one. I've just heard back from BA - they have emailed me to offer me €400 compensation - they offered Avios points OR cash (asked for bank details if I wanted cash). This was 2 weeks after I completed the claim on their website. Cheers everyone, and thanks for your help.
  • summerishere11
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Yes.
    What I am trying to explain is that even if your original flight was not cancelled due to weather, but a Non EC such as technical problem with aircraft, you still would not be eligable for compensation as the replacement flight was scheduled to arrive less than 2 hours later than your orginal.
    So double whammied when you include the weather.
    JPears sorry I'm still a it confused and puzzled by this. The rescheduled flight was due to leave at 14.20 but was delayed and I'm pretty sure it didn't leave till after 3.30 making the difference between the cancelled flight 12.30 and the rescheduled actual leaving time 3 hours. I also don't understand how BA can say they cancelled the first flight the day before because they knew it was going to be extreme weather in London yet they booked us onto another flight 2 hours after the first one was due to leave the day they knew this extreme weather was taking place and of course we were delayed and missed our connection.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I sent a covering letter and receipts to BA Customer service both by post recorded delivery and online. The flight was cancelled because on the 27th May the computer system went down. I will stop the claim against BA Ltd.

Thanks

Here is how to do it...

http://www.smallclaimscourtgenie.co.uk/stop-this-train-i-want-to-get-off/

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback