Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?

Options

Comments

• villainrom
    Options
    poonab wrote: »
    t-mobile don't seem to know their a**e from their elbow.

spent this morning try to get out of them whats going on and finally got this:

I can concur. I've tried to use my press status to get stuff out them, but it's all nonsense.

What you said there is my understanding for now.

I am on Web'n'Walk Plus (aka Internet Plus in my online account), and pay £4.25 per month for the privilege. I do get a rebate of well in excess of that, as I negotiated a custom deal, which was built up from parts of different packages, but I get a £5 loyalty discount to make up for "paying for" internet.

No notice received, and my contacts with T-Mobile (the ones that sounded genuinely wanting to help) were all going down this line.

Sounds like the 1GB FUP is being reduced to 500MB.

I seriously wish T-Mobile would let me make the announcements for them. I could have saved them a load of this hassle, and bad press, as it's all 3GB android users that are up in arms. If they're not affected, tell them so, and stop avoiding my questions :D

As an aside, I would point out their claims are nonsense regarding being the only network not charging for exceeding FUP. One word, and it's a number... 3. 3UK don't charge you for exceeding the FUP/limit on their unlimited account, as there isn't one :)

I have asked them to retract their statement, but it seems there's nobody with authority to speak there just now... Shame really, as T-Mobile phone staff have always been flawless. I still have the team number for the saleswoman who sold me my contract 18 months ago, as I have directed all my friends direct to her, to help her with her "targets", as she was so helpful to me.

All T-Mobile CS staff that I've spoken to have been flawless. Until yesterday, their twitter people were good too. Now I am seriously wondering what on earth is wrong with management up there... Who made the decision, and why won't he come and do an hour on twitter, explaining it to those who have questions?

If I am write with my understanding in agreeing with the post above this, then there's no reason not to be honest. It's affecting less people than intended if it's true, so let's get some honest answers... Seriously, they just lost a 100% satisfied customer, as I'm moving on, as they can't communicate.

At least I have internal contacts at 3 UK, so could get something like this at their end clarified nice and fast, but my sources are taking forever to get anywhere with T-Mobile :( No clear guidance from what I understood yesterday...
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    shianatika wrote: »
    I had a missed call from T-mobile yesterday after my original call, so I phoned them back and spoke to someone who sounded a little more switched on this time. After I explained this change would be to my detriment and I wished to cancel I was put on hold, when he came back on he said that his supervisor had added the 3GB to my account and he insinuated I would also now be getting unlimited texts (usually 300). I asked for this in writing, text or email and he said he couldn’t as they didn’t want others to know about this, he asked me if I would keep “Mum” about this several times and I agreed.

I have the guys name and team number; I am not filled with confidence that they have actually put this on my account although they did ask me to turn my phone off and on which sounds promising?

Haha. That's really funny. He must have worked for Vodafone before. No, I very much doubt if you call again that the next person will know anything about it.

Turning the phone on and of was a nice touch though, and ensured you had to end the phone call to do it.
  • neeraj123
    Options
    hi i was wondering what number are you calling to get to some one who actually know about the FUP changing i spent 10 minutes to a nice lady who sadly didn't have a clue explaining what happening she even asked if i got the text from t mobile :doh:
  • NorthernOne
    Options
    I have a flexi35 which I have renewed in September last year. I have WnW and have no limit according to the person I spoke to at the time. I also upgraded to the Desire HD. You have to ask why networks bother even selling smart phones if they intend to restrict their usage and it shows poor investment by them if they cannot support the phones they sell!

Now this story is all over the media it will be interesting to see if TM change their stance in light of their customer outrage.
  • villainrom
    Options
    Haha. That's really funny. He must have worked for Vodafone before. No, I very much doubt if you call again that the next person will know anything about it.

Turning the phone on and of was a nice touch though, and ensured you had to end the phone call to do it.

Haha...

Go to your online panel, and see if anything has changed in "Your Services", as that's where they change things.

I advise anyone calling to get a record of before and after, so they can see what happens. Look for anything like Internet Plus, Web'n'walk Plus, anything about 3GB, and also look for a £5 monthly recurring discount (they bill me for £4.25/month +VAT, and give a discount of £5, meaning I pay for internet, but get an overall reduction accordingly)
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    Options
    I have an Andrioid Phone, Samsung Galaxy S... Got my 1st YES FIRST T-mobile bill 3 days ago... I am mightly mightly !!!!ed off with the way this has been done.

I selected T-mobile because an andrioid phone opens up loads of possibilities and chose them because of their superior data rate. I get poorer signal strength than I did on O2.. but chose this becuse i could use the phone to its fullest.

My tariff is shown as the following 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited internet.

I originally had to ring T-mobile 4 times to get them to upgrade my data download rate (which was capped at 360kb/sec!!!) to the full HDSPA rate (1.5mbps to 2mbps).. On the phone the guy said he had to turn on Web and Walk + for me... but this doesn't shown in my billing information.

I was pretty content until reading all this... which from my side seems to trap me for the next 2 years with rubbish signal and sub-par download cap... So any tips when i ring them to confirm whether this affects me or not?

I haven't had a text yet.. but the download cap was the discriminator for me to chose the contract... and feel miffed the rug has been pulled from under me.
  • BurningSnowman
    BurningSnowman Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2011 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Spent a significant amount of time trying on the phone, and they wouldn't budge. Interestingly they relied on clause 8, not 7: that we agree to "any" Fair Use Policy. I don't think this even slightly stands up: it equates to changing the contract terms ad hoc, and it also doesn't invalidate 2.11.2.

Beyond this they (including a manager in Cancellations) just repeated that "it's legal" and that it's been approved by Ofcom.

I then called Ofcom, who have advised me:
    • that they do not approve FUPs (i.e. the above is completely untrue);
    • that I should follow T-M's Code of Practice to complain officially - see p5-6 - you must speak to a Manager, and then write to a different address from the one in the contract (Tyne & Wear);
    • that if/when my suggested resolution(s) are rejected in writing, it can go to the Ombudsman;
    • of the existence of Ofcom's General Conditions, which back up T-M's own terms in stating your right to cancel without penalty when a change is of material detriment - see 9.3 (b).

I think this is probably the way to go. Technically you do need to have made contact with a Manager before you write the letter.

I'm not sure it's really worth trying the 2.11.2 cancellation letter/Hatfield address now, as I expect they'll just stonewall you as with the phone staff, and you won't have followed the Code of Practice (unless you do both).

Edit: Oh, and I was also told I was being 'given notice' on the phone of the change, and that I would receive a text later. So I now have any notice that may have needed to be issued prior to writing.
  • ispartacus75
    Options
    neas wrote: »
    I have an Andrioid Phone, Samsung Galaxy S... Got my 1st YES FIRST T-mobile bill 3 days ago... I am mightly mightly !!!!ed off with the way this has been done.

I selected T-mobile because an andrioid phone opens up loads of possibilities and chose them because of their superior data rate. I get poorer signal strength than I did on O2.. but chose this becuse i could use the phone to its fullest.

My tariff is shown as the following 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited internet.

I originally had to ring T-mobile 4 times to get them to upgrade my data download rate (which was capped at 360kb/sec!!!) to the full HDSPA rate (1.5mbps to 2mbps).. On the phone the guy said he had to turn on Web and Walk + for me... but this doesn't shown in my billing information.

I was pretty content until reading all this... which from my side seems to trap me for the next 2 years with rubbish signal and sub-par download cap... So any tips when i ring them to confirm whether this affects me or not?

I haven't had a text yet.. but the download cap was the discriminator for me to chose the contract... and feel miffed the rug has been pulled from under me.

I would advise everyone to hang fire right now till we get a definitive answer as to exactly who is affected.
  • mmpombears
    Options
    According to twitter.com/WhichTech on twitter, their legal team is looking into this. Hopefully it means we can get somewhere :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure