Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Right both my contracts are up soon (sim only) one was a EE one that was £16.99 a month (with discount) and £150 cashback, other was a Three one which I can't remember the price (sure it was £9 a month with £45 cashback but can't check my bank statements to confirm) The cashback took 8 months to get confirmed though.

Whilst not hugely bothered with minutes or data id like at least 2 gig for emergencies and around 1000 minutes on each and ideally after cashback pay about £7 per month each.

Whats best deals for me?
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 February 2018 at 7:10PM
    Options
    iD had a 2.25Gb 5000 text and 250 minute SIM only monthly deal for £5 via uSwitch. However the deal's due to expire around now I think. There's a credit check, but the deal is capped and has data rollover. I'm very pleased with it. It's on the three network but the minutes may be to low for you.

If that's not available, SMARTY will do a 2Gb monthly SIM for £7.50 with unlimited texts and minutes (UK only). No credit check, so very easy to set up. You get £1.25 your next bill for any 1Gb you don't use.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • sallyorchid
    Options
    Has anyone else signed up to TPO's deal in the latest MSE newsletter? It sounds great at £4.99 but it seems you have to pay £50 to get the Sim activated to use it abroad - which nearly doubles the cost over a year. I've messaged them to double check this but not had a reply yet and wondered if anyone else knew? Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone else signed up to TPO's deal in the latest MSE newsletter? It sounds great at £4.99 but it seems you have to pay £50 to get the Sim activated to use it abroad - which nearly doubles the cost over a year. I've messaged them to double check this but not had a reply yet and wondered if anyone else knew? Thanks.

It's in the T&C's (you did read them didn't you?):-

https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/terms-and-conditions

Its actually a refundable deposit rather than a charge to cover themselves.

International Roaming will be enabled after a deposit of £50 is paid. We may also request to see 3 months' bank statements, which can be emailed or posted to us, prior to enabling the International Roaming service. We may refuse to enable International Roaming if there is an outstanding balance on the account and/or there is no valid Direct Debit set up on your account.

The International Roaming Deposit will be held on your account for a minimum of 6 months after which you can request this to be refunded. If there is an outstanding debt on your account, you agree that the deposit can be used as payment against this debt and we will refund you the difference if applicable. If there is no outstanding debt, we will refund you the full amount of the deposit.

Upon cancellation of service, the International Roaming Deposit will be refunded after your account has been settled in full. If the account is not settled as per the date on your final invoice, you agree that the International Roaming Deposit can be used as payment against the outstanding debt on your account.

We will monitor International Roaming Usage on your account and may suspend your service if we believe there to be fraudulent behaviour.
  • CosmicCowgirl
    Options
    I just tried switching to the Virgin Mobile offer which expires today but moved recently so failed the credit check and there wasn't an option to pay for the full 12 months upfront.
    That really would have helped me and Virgin Mobile!
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    How would it have helped them had you run up a thousand pounds over the allowance and only paid for 12 months normal use?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How would it have helped them had you run up a thousand pounds over the allowance and only paid for 12 months normal use?

Not quite sure if it's my previous post you're replying to or not but if so then the next paragraph (which I didn't include) is:
    We will monitor International Roaming Usage on your account and may suspend your service if we believe there to be fraudulent behaviour.

So if you're racking up a big bill I guess they have monitoring systems in place that will stop it, no idea if they have a spending cap either or whether it applies to International Roaming.
  • msrlh
    Options
    I would just like to share that I have finally got round to dealing with Three Mobile. I have been a contract customer for 11 years. I was on £13/month for a couple of years which was probably too much but was fine for me at the time. Then about two years ago Three wrote and said something about bringing old plans in line with current plans. They put the plan up to £20/month. For no reason at all and getting no better deal.

As I was too busy at the time I never got round to calling them. Then I saw the MSE email about Virgin's SIM only plan for £8/month and jumped on it. Called Three this morning to get my PAC code, it took half an hour of them really doing the hard sell, telling me how much they loved me and then the person put me through to the Cancellations department who offered me a sightly better offer than Virgin for £7/month. I am over the moon. I really wish I had taken Three to task about this 2 years ago, because I think what they did to me and no doubt countless others was sneaky and really taking advantage of the fact that people are busy (or lazy!).
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Not quite sure if it's my previous post you're replying to or not but if so then the next paragraph (which I didn't include) is:

So if you're racking up a big bill I guess they have monitoring systems in place that will stop it, no idea if they have a spending cap either or whether it applies to International Roaming.

No.it was the immediately preceeding post (CosmicCowgirl). The quote (as you indicate) doesn't specify non-roaming charges of any kind.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    msrlh wrote: »
    I really wish I had taken Three to task about this 2 years ago, because I think what they did to me and no doubt countless others was sneaky and really taking advantage of the fact that people are busy (or lazy!).

Sadly no company (regardless of the product) will offer you a deal out of the goodness of their hearts. It's the raison d'être of MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure