Refund promised by Ocado driver, used the item, refund never happened.

Options
I wanted to refuse delivery of an item on the door but the driver made a discretionary decision and said I could keep it and would refund me. I thought he was very kind when he said this, and a few days later used the item (it was expensive vinegar). But then it dawned on me, had the refund gone through? No.

I've contacted customer services by email and phone several times but they say because the item is used no collection and refund can be done, and next time not to trust what their drivers promise on the door. Instead they say phone customer service to confirm such things.

This is what I think happened. The driver did intend on giving me a refund and the free item but when he went back to the van saw it was too expensive being £52. It's probably no more complicated than that.

Have I lost £52?

I've sent a letter thinking an arcane method might get better results but haven't received a response since 9th May. In a final webchat conversation someone offered 50% but I said no because wanted all my money back. I'm so angry that I've been ripped off, and I don't have any proof.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 May 2017 at 8:41PM
    Options
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ocado-compare-prices/Oils_And_Vinegar/Due_Vittorie_Balsamic_Vinegar_12_Year_Old_Tradizionale_100ml.html?TrackingCode=27841.Wt7F4hz7sEyhK8NL45PjgQ
    had to check that there is a £52 vinegar :eek:
    Sorry but I would never have accepted it, nevermind what the driver stated did he write this on his delivery sheet or on your copy?
  • Jelli
    Jelli Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    treboeth wrote: »
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ocado-compare-prices/Oils_And_Vinegar/Due_Vittorie_Balsamic_Vinegar_12_Year_Old_Tradizionale_100ml.html?TrackingCode=27841.Wt7F4hz7sEyhK8NL45PjgQ
    had to check that there is a £52 vinegar :eek:
    Sorry but I would never have accepted it, nevermind what the driver stated did he write this on his delivery sheet or on your copy?

That's the thing, and I have no proof :(

The door was answered by my carer who helps me a lot and I was at the top of the steps. My carer let the driver come in to shout up the steps and ask if I wanted a free item, and I said yes. Thought Christmas had come early but no.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unfortunately without proof you are reliant on any goodwill gesture they offer.
    Maybe if you find an email address for the CEO you can plead your case directly.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You haven't lost much if you're using it lol

Why did you want to refuse it?

Sorry but it does sound like one of those 'try ons' someone might use if they know the system to get an expensive item for free. That could be why they are making your refund request less than straightforward.

If it was all in good faith I can understand your frustration but as a neutral reader I'm afraid the thought did occur to me rather quickly and so it might to others as well.
  • Jelli
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    You haven't lost much if you're using it lol

Why did you want to refuse it?

Sorry but it does sound like one of those 'try ons' someone might use if they know the system to get an expensive item for free. That could be why they are making your refund request less than straightforward.

If it was all in good faith I can understand your frustration but as a neutral reader I'm afraid the thought did occur to me rather quickly and so it might to others as well.

That's fair enough Warby and there's no way of proving what I'm saying, but I'm so angry. There were just 3 people involved. Me, my carer and the driver.

The reason for not wanting the item was a change of mind, and in the past customer services have said I can refuse any items on the door. I was hoping to use the money for something else so now I'm down by £52.

I'll probably look for the CEO and cry in front of him.
  • mickey54
    mickey54 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    £52.00 for vinegar ...:eek::eek:
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This whole experience must leave a bitter taste in your mouth
  • Jelli
    edited 25 May 2017 at 11:36PM
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    This whole experience must leave a bitter taste in your mouth

It really, really does.

My last card is asking to close my account because I was mislead by an Ocado employee (which I don't really want to do), and hope that scares them into giving a refund.

Right now I'm going to try Twitter and plead.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jelli wrote: »
    Have I lost £52?

Not at all, you're in pocession of £52 worth of vinegar.
  • Jelli
    edited 26 May 2017 at 1:01AM
    Options
    Sooler wrote: »
    Not at all, you're in pocession of £52 worth of vinegar.

Have you ever been given something free only to find you've paid for it? I wanted to buy another thing but now I don't have the money, so I've lost something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure