PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In true OS style....Hot water bottles

Options
...I've just filled my 2nd Hot water Bottle and put it at at the pillow end of my bed.

First one went at the feet end, most important place to warm inmyhumbleopinion.

I know many use electric blankets or are fortunate enough to be able to heat their homes with CH.

I have no CH and actually prefer my bedroom on the cooler side, but when it's cold, hot water bottles are worth their weight in gold.

My grandmother was a star when it came to hot water bottles. Despite only one real coal fire, I was never cold when I stayed as she made sure the bed was warmed.

So simple but so effective.

Anyone else still use them?
'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore'

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have them for my dds; dh and I have an electric blanket, but I think I prefer proper hwb's. How do you keep track of two in your bed? I have tried a few years ago, but got terribly confused.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I have them for my dds; dh and I have an electric blanket, but I think I prefer proper hwb's. How do you keep track of two in your bed? I have tried a few years ago, but got terribly confused.

I'm not sure I understand your confusion, sorry.

I have 2 HWB. The first one I fill goes at the feet end, the 2nd at the pillow end....no tracking required..just warmth :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not used one since I was a small child... my sibling used one and it came loose and burnt the skin.

I find that putting a pillow over my feet really makes me get too hot, so it's worth doing that too.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've not used one since I was a small child... my sibling used one and it came loose and burnt the skin.

I find that putting a pillow over my feet really makes me get too hot, so it's worth doing that too.

Yep, do that too. I have 4 pillows so 2 or 3 to spare which go on my feet and above...toasty warm at little/no cost :)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I love hot water bottles - and a down comforter over my feet!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Every time I turn, I want the hwb to be next to me; with 1 that's easy and I can do it in my sleep; with 2 I need to half wake up to find the second one, and move it in the right position. But then, I'm peculiar about how my pillow and duvet line up, too :D
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Every time I turn, I want the hwb to be next to me; with 1 that's easy and I can do it in my sleep; with 2 I need to half wake up to find the second one, and move it in the right position. But then, I'm peculiar about how my pillow and duvet line up, too :D

You're over thinking it. HWB are about getting the bed warm before you get in...once you're in, warm and asleep it matters not where they go:cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have an electric blanket which can be left on safely all night, a very low setting keeps you toasty all night. The top setting heats the bed in 5 minutes, so it gets switched on when we go through for a shower, by the time you get into bed it's warm. You cannot leave it on the top setting, so it gets switched down as we get into bed. There are separate controls, saves a lot of arguments!!!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,146 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have three at the moment. One at the top, one in the middle, one at the bottom. When it's really cold (hasn't happened since the insulation and heating were sorted in this house) I have been known to have more. When it warms up I reduce the number.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We had one with separate controls until about three months ago.
    It was on, I had just got into bed and smell d burning.
    The cable had burnt through, burned through the sheet and two pillowcases and into the feather pillow!
    I will never use one again, it's hwb for me if it's cold or just the dog most nights!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport