Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Tanyao
    Tanyao Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi. My family were travelling from.glasgow to dublin for a funeral. They decided to fly the night before the funeral with aer lingus. The flight was delayed by 2 hours then cancelled. They were put up in a hotel for the night. The flight was re-scheduled for 9.30 am the next morning but was delayed by 2 hours again.
    They had to pay for the hotel.they booked to stay in in Dublin even though they didnt get to stay there.
    Do they get compensation for a cancelled flight, a delayed flight and or can they claim the money back for the hotel?
    They have contacted the airline a few times and were given the run around and as yet are still waiting on a reply but before they take it any further would like some advice on exactly what they can claim for?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated ☺
    Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tanyao - valid delay claim - read Vauban's Guide (Google to find if necessary).
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    €250 per passenger as long as it wasn't an extraordinary circumstance like weather or Air Traffic Control strike. But the hotel in Dublin you will have to claim on your travel insurance.
  • kandy2513
    Options
    I was on a flight From Edinburgh to Zurich and return to Edinburgh when while waiting for the aircraft to board on the return journey one og the aircraft engines was damaged by a baggage truck. We were delayed more than three hours but the airline said it was not within their control and as such we were not entitled to compensation. Any thoughts please.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2017 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Put your flight details into Bottonline or EuClaim and see what they say I am pretty sure they will say you are due compensation. If you are google and download Vaubans Guide and follow it to the letter.

What time should you have arrived in Edinburgh and what time did you actually arrive?
  • kandy2513
    Options
    Thank you for your speed reply.

I will dig out my travel and airline reply details and follow your advice.

Kind regards

John
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a judgement that infants (<2) are entitled to compensation.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Article 3, paragraph 3 of the regulation, see below in bold.
    This is the only stipulation/determination of a passenger in the regulation. So it matters not one jot the age of the passenger, or indeed if they had a seat, as long as they had a ticket/reservation and paid something towards, even if only a booking fee (which is common for "free child places"
    Legal judgement is not required here since its in the regulation.

Article 3
    Scope
    1. This Regulation shall apply:
    (a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
    (b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.
    2. Paragraph 1 shall apply on the condition that passengers:
    (a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in,
    - as stipulated and at the time indicated in advance and in writing (including by electronic means) by the air carrier, the tour operator or an authorised travel agent,
    or, if no time is indicated,
    - not later than 45 minutes before the published departure time; or
    (b) have been transferred by an air carrier or tour operator from the flight for which they held a reservation to another flight, irrespective of the reason.
    3. This Regulation shall not apply to passengers travelling free of charge or at a reduced fare not available directly or indirectly to the public. However, it shall apply to passengers having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme by an air carrier or tour operator.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • big_leon
    big_leon Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,
    Could someone check some flights for me please:

BA208 01/06/17 (scheduled for around 20:40).

I believe it landed in Heathrow at around 1pm (well doors opening at around that time) but BA are telling me 12pm. Would appreciate any help on this one.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    big_leon wrote: »
    BA208 01/06/17 (scheduled for around 20:40).

not sure if your flight details are correct
    BA208 from Miami to Heathrow. Departed 1 hour and 9mins late from Miami and arrived 1hr and 29mins late at Heathrow (from flightaware)
    Using the details in EUClaim also shows "Your flight had an arrival delay of less than three hours."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback