PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Options

Comments

• ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help my toilet just won't clean up properly I have tried everything, bleach, coke you name it I have tried, it's only the part where the water sits at the bottom and it's like the enamal (sp?) has come off and the surface is porus and just wont clean, am I making sence?? I hops someone can help as it is now driving me nuts!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to have this problem, until we bought a water softener. Its not the type which your water filters through, its a coil which wraps around your cold water inlet pipe and it has an electric plug for the mains. It works by changings the ions in the water. It lasts at a guess for about 10 yrs-we've had ours about 5 yrs. It cost about £40 but I think they are cheaper now. Its absolutely excellent and I no longer pour ANYTHING down my loo. Far better than all the nasty chemicals, costs only pennies each week to run and has more than paid for itself as I used to spend a fortune down the loo(not spend a penny). I got it mailorder-not sure where from.

I thought these things worked forever. We've had one for about 16years (bought at the Ideal Home Exhibition) but I can't compare 'before' and 'after' loo results as we've had it all the time we've been in this home - having said that, I still have to use a cleaner......so perhaps they do have a lifespan.

But I agree with Shez about the Spirit of Salts. One of our other homes was in a bit of a state when we moved in and this was recommended by a friend and it's really good. You would probably need to only use it for a once or twice though, not regularly.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sounds like it is the enamal, and if thats come off you wont be able to do much with it, unless you get rid of all the water and either get some paint or enamal and paint over it.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

To me it sounds like a complete covering of limescale, is yours a hard water area?

Anyway - we have a very recent thread on cleaning loos so I'll add your post onto it for you.

Post are normally listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    ageandjo wrote:
    Can anyone help my toilet just won't clean up properly I have tried everything, bleach, coke you name it I have tried, it's only the part where the water sits at the bottom and it's like the enamal (sp?) has come off and the surface is porus and just wont clean, am I making sence?? I hops someone can help as it is now driving me nuts!

as i mentioned earlier Spirit of Salts - went to get some today from chemist they didnt have any, but did have caustic soda, which is also good, but again be very careful when using and open window because of the fumes when it burns all the crap off!!

but as Chris25 says, dont use it regularly its very strong stuff.
  • Mumofthreeboys_2
    Options
    I use a pumice stone to rub the limescale off. It won't scratch and gets it all off. Then just flush it away.
    £2 Saver Club (started 24th March '06) going towards No. 2 Son Cub trip!!
    20p Saver Club (started 11th April '06) Grand Total = £135.00 Paid to Akela
  • Lady_Pink
    Lady_Pink Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a way of getting rid of the manky discloured limescale deposits in the loo in my "new" house? I've tried Kaboom, bleach and it's currently got soda crystals soaking in it. Not only is there a mark along the water line but the bottom of the bowl and the pipe that runs into the U-bend is discoloured too. Does anyone know of any super effective and cheap ways of doing this cos I daren't let visitors go to the loo at the moment :eek:

Ps - Is it sad that I can't wait to get home from work to scrub my loo? :o
  • miss_angie1
    miss_angie1 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have heard that denture cleaning tablets work wonders although I haven't tried it. Pop one in the loo overnight, it fizzes away and gets rid of unsightly stains etc.
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried pouring cheap cola down it and leaving it overnight.

You could line the area that is stained with toilet paper and then pour cola over it to hold it in place to work.

Someone else uses white vinegar for limescale.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Lady Pink,

I have merged your thread into a recent one on the same subject as it helps to see all the replies in the same place. The replies are in date order so it helps to read from the beginning of the thread.

Here are some other threads that might help you:

REALLY Stubborn limescale!

Stained Toilet Bowl

Toilet !!

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts