We're on twitter. Join us!

Options

Comments

• Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    I find this comment by wings of ambition very belittling to be honest. I thought this forum was all about saving money? Two quid off a bottle of shampoo makes a big difference to me thank you very much!

I have no issue with people getting two quid off a bottle of shampoo. In fact, I'm all for it, and I agree that two quid is a lot, to a lot of people. I've seen some great Grabbits on here over the years, some of which I've used. But you've taken it out of context. I was responding to the FM's that suggested MSE should go out and find their own deals to post on twitter rather than 'plagiarising'.

The MSE Team work tirelessly on things like PPI Reclaiming (worth literally billions and billions of pounds to UK consumers), the Cheap Energy Club, getting financial education on the national curriculum, and so much more. How many of the posters in this thread have taken advantage of MSE's labour? Quite a few, I'd imagine. Yet, the thought of MSE sharing THEIR hard work is somehow wrong (and MSE should PAY them according to one poster). People are happy to take but don't like the idea of giving. That's what I don't get.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not chastised: apart from Forum Team editing my post, nothing has been said. I've already apologised for the language used, but if you're expecting me to apologise for my stance of sticking up for site... ain't gonna happen! :rotfl:

Goodness, this is a very childish attitude, belongs in the playground. Not that anyone will care, but I am done with the grabbit threads now. I will find my own bargains and deals.

All good things must come to an end, I suppose. Can't be doing with being talked down to.
  • littlesnuggy
    littlesnuggy Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    How many of the posters in this thread have taken advantage of MSE's labour? Quite a few, I'd imagine. Yet, the thought of MSE sharing THEIR hard work is somehow wrong (and MSE should PAY them according to one poster). People are happy to take but don't like the idea of giving. That's what I don't get.

This sums it up very well - if you are utilising a forum funded by MSE to find deals, why shouldn't MSE get something back? Anyone is free to either a) keep deals to themselves or b) set up, fund & run their own 'private' forum if they want to have exclusive access to deals. If you're happy to share them on this forum, you're sharing it with world, for no personal gain. MSE tweeting the deals doesn't make a jot of difference to you, but it might (maybe, not always) give them some extra funds to help continue doing the lobbying / consumer protection work they do.
  • wannasave_2
    Options
    I would like to know...if i post a grabbit on this forum, will it be put on twitter?

if it's a good deal that they can get some mileage and kudos out of then more than likely the answer is yes :mad:

I won't be posting any more deals here now (if I find any, I'm not that good at it really :o)
  • funnyguy
    funnyguy Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2013 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Yeh this forum person ,should not be petty arguing with the MSE,s ,I suggest 'Wings of Ambition',ought to stop fighting this immature losing battle with the people they arew supposed to be encouraging to use the site.Still no apology for not telling us before doing this ,either.
    Suggest everyone pressesthereport button...Someone with some sense might sort things out.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wannasave wrote: »
    I won't be posting any more deals here now

neither will I. This whole thing, which has been made much worse by the condescending attitude and unwarranted outburst from Wings of ambition, leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whitesatin wrote: »
    Can't be doing with being talked down to.

and certainly not by someone who is supposed to be in a position of trust and authority to help users, not belittle them or threaten to throw them off!

By behaving in this arrogant and unpleasant way I think Wings of ambition is a disgrace as a supposed guide on this board.
    3010 Posts: 5,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Day 4 on the twitter thread and still no grabbit has been found. :rotfl: Sorry could not resist.

Having looked the the twitter thread (not that I am any good at that twitter malarkey) I have not seen any deals posted from here yet. So, I think we are still safe for a bit. :)

However, as I have been thinking about this. Slow weekend I know. There are only so many letters that can be fitted onto a tweet. So, I honestly believe it would be impossible for MSE to fit all the details of glitches and offers on the tweet. I know it might be possible for them to say stuff like 2 bottles of shampoo and stuff can be picked up at Tesco etc. Although with other offers it can be must more complicated to work out the glitches. So this would some how have to bring people to the threads.

On the subject of MSE stealing offers and stuff. MSE do acknowledge peoples deals they have posted and do link to them in the weekly email so the posters do get credit and a nice shiny badge to wear with pride.

Thats all folk. :)
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    moonshine wrote: »
    and certainly not by someone who is supposed to be in a position of trust and authority to help users, not belittle them or threaten to throw them off!

By behaving in this arrogant and unpleasant way I think Wings of ambition is a disgrace as a supposed guide on this board.

I think it's a disgrace that people will use MSE for their own good, but god forbid MSE tries to share deals for 'outsiders' to use. But there we are... speaks a lot for the warm and welcoming nature of this community that you tell me I'm lacking!

As a Board Guide, I have no power to throw people off, and I don't want such a power. MSE is a hobby for me, something I spend half an hour doing on the odd evening. I view my role as tidying up the board, moving the odd post, but mostly answering the several PMs I get. It's not my job to encourage people to use the site, as others have stated.

I've also reviewed my original post, and I don't believe it's condescending, belittling or unwarranted. You may thoroughly disagree with the points I'm making, just like I disagreed with yours, but to claim those things is untrue. If you ran a free service and tried something new, and the users of your service threw a tantrum and told you how much they hated it, without really knowing anything about it, I guess you'd find that rude too.

I will make one thing clear - I am allowed an opinion. The fact I'm a Board Guide doesn't mean I have to maintain a squeaky clean record. If that's the case, the powers that be can discuss it with me, and if necessary I'll go back to being a regular forum user. But my opinion won't change... I think that some of the responses to this Twitter announcement were selfish and disgusting, and I'm fully entitled to express that opinion. MSE always welcomes feedback, but I would hope that members are mature enough to express any criticisms constructively. The majority of posts in this thread did not do that. Hence my sharp response.

I'm going to lock this thread now and pass it onto to Andrea, as it's going round in circles. Neither side is going to back down, and as 3010 has stated, it's not a Grabbit. Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue this discussion.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

We've tried to answer all your points below. Forgive us if we've missed some, they’re spread across several threads.

Please remember other websites, and newspapers, can and do quote posts from our own forum and have done so for several years (we typically wouldn't enforce the copyright provisions of our T&Cs where the use is fair). Those quotes are then quoted by other sites etc, etc. It's common in both online and offline media. Also remember we've included forum links and comments in our weekly email to now 8 million people for a decade.

To answer the point about taking Grabbit content and using it for MSE - yes, we do it to spread your fantastic deals to other MoneySavers as far as we can, much in the same way you post on a public forum in the first place, so hopefully you’ll agree we want as many people to benefit as possible.

Our Editorial Team works very, very hard behind the scenes to check offers out with press offices, find out how many are available and their expiry date, gathering information that’s often not mentioned in forum users’ posts. You’ll have seen where possible our Team tries to link to the original discussion thread in its deals note if appropriate.

In some cases our team encourages companies to provide more for our site users or extend the offer further than originally planned. You don’t see any of this, all you see is what’s posted on the forum. This is the very point of our site – to help as many people as possible save as much money as they can. Not telling others about offers goes entirely against our ethos.

Of course, the Team also finds deals and products via many other sources (their contacts, press releases, original research) – it sometimes can irk to see it suggested their entire job is to cut and paste from the forum.

Please also remember our forum’s content is fully searchable and viewable by anyone, worldwide.

Regarding the quotation of usernames and text, a username is text, and in most cases wouldn’t be considered copyrightable.

The aim of this twitter account is two-fold:

a) Yes, to encourage other people to read and use the forum – we want to help as many people as possible save money.

b) To encourage our forum and main website users to step out of their “usual boards” and visit others they may not have used or, in fact, known about before.

By all means express your thoughts on why you feel this would be detrimental to the forum. We’re happy to hear genuine, well-formed objections.

Lastly, while it would be a shame, if you don’t agree with our policy you’re free to leave the free forum at any time.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories