PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• STMJob
    STMJob Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I'm a 33 year old married mum of two. Also a full time health care student. Have finally seen the light and realised how much I've overspent over the years and how I can change that so that we can make better use of our money.

Have managed okay over the last year as a student but am now wanting to concentrate on cutting back so that when I do have some spare time we can enjoy ourselves as a family.

Looking forward to taking on board some of the challenges.
  • fluffalo
    Options
    My first post, though I have been lurking for a bit. I am finding this section useful as our fridge/freezer broke last week and I have had to undertake an unexpected 'cupboard challenge"..

I am 36, married, and have a cat as a surrogate child. I work full time but my contract is up for review at the end of next month, so I might be part time soon. I also have a student loan in another country, and it is getting complicated to try and pay off..
  • debtfreehopeful_2
    Options
    Hi im sue, im 22 married to craig (24) with one little girl sophie (2) and our second child due April 21st.
    Im a stay at home mum, ou student, surestart volunteer, breastfeeding peer supporter and general backup to hubby who is a full time student part time bakery assistant.
    Not very organised in the house and working hard to get organised, hoping this board can help me as with number two on the way im gonna need to save as much time effort and energy as possible
  • Sexy_Em
    Sexy_Em Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Em, I'm 20, and I have been living with my partner for jus over a yr.

I am working full time, but I dont do very much lol hence why I am here!!!

I am going to interviews for trainee accountants jobs, because I need to start planning for the future. I'll have to take a pay decrease for this, so I'll be needing all the help I can get!!

I am in debt with the bank, I owe my OH a lot for a car he paid for me, and I hav rubbish credit rating after a spell of living with my ex - d'oh!

Am always on the lookout for a way to earn extra income, and would love to sell on ebay - if only I could work out what!!!!!

x
  • jan2januk
    Options
    Hi,
    I've just posted for the first time, although I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. And learned a lot I must say! So thanks to everyone for useful tips.
    I live at the seaside (been here a year) with OH who is retired. We were empty nesters for a very short time, but both sons (22 and 24) have come back home because they can't find work/split up with girlfriend.

We've always lived on a very low income - I stayed at home when the boys were little, then looked after mum and dad, then illness. Luckily we don't have any debt. But with four adults to feed and very little money, I can certainly use those OS ways - learning all the time, that's me!

Jan
  • daphne_descends
    Options
    Hello everyone

I'm Jennifer, 26, living with my partner, no children yet, just two kittens. I am not a terrible cook - if I may be so bold I'd say I'm quite good ;) - but I have such a tiny kitchen that it can be very hard to be inspired to do so, and so cue lots of expensive M&S ready meals - when it dawned on me how ridiculous it is to pay £2.30 for mash I thought I need to sort myself out. I love cooking and even enjoy cleaning to a degree, it's time and space that I lack.

So I'm here to try and get organised, I've reintroduced myself to my freezer and so far we're getting along well ;) Also my main aim in all of this is to be well into the swing of home cooking by the time we are three :) And then let it all go to pot!

The money saving side of things for me is just a huge bonus - it's only when I started reading this site that my eyes have really been opened to how much you can do, and how a lot of it can be so easy. It's really made me think about how much money people throw away because it's there, there's so many ways to get rid of it, and it's supposed to feel good.

A while ago read in the Times that the average household in this country spends £35 per person per week on groceries. To me, then, that was like a green light for OH and I to spend £70 on food - but now that sounds crazy!

I'd love to do everything OS, maybe if I can save enough money OH wll agree for me to work part time ;)
  • Hemee
    Options
    Finally decided to sign up to this website after it being mentioned to me by my mum for many many months now. Im a 1st year photography student studying at nottingham trent university. I enjoy doing a lot of band photography and might go into this area as a career after I finish uni.
    Since moving away from home ive found cooking for myself to be, well, interesting! so any hints and tips are appreciated!
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IVE Ive posted a few times on here but have never had any inclination to post a bit about me on here as im a lazy so-and-so. but having found some great advice on here from people thought i would do so

im jane,recently remarried and have 3 teenagers in the house(PMT can be rife at times lol)
    i had to cut my hours ,as a nurse,down in january from full time to part time due to (incurable) health issues which also ,unfortunately,meant a cut in income so am unable to change this situation

I was lucky if you could call it that to be able to pay off my mortgage and my loan and my credit cards recently but unlucky in the way i was able to do this-my mum died and im an only child so all monies came to me and i think my mum had she still been living would have loved this site as she was a thrifty and sensible lady.

i like to cook -when health allows-and wish i could bake as well but alass i cant but im taking on some advice given on here.i already make extra meals and freeze but kids can be fussy devils although im slowly changing that as they eat such unhealthy foods

we have just this week restarted sitting down at the table to eat and hey guess what just like b4 we all talk yes talk not argue lol

my goal for the next few months is to meal plan a bit better ive kinda started this but i only do it for a few days in advance and it falls through by end of week

well there you go -nothing interesting-im a boring trainee OS`er

thanks for reading my waffle

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • UniqueEarthling
    Options
    Hi all

I'm a single mum to three children (18, 10 and 8). Three years ago I decided to do a computer science degree and train to be a teacher. The degree went great but, what with one thing and another, I had to suspend the teacher training for a while.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'd been subsidising my student loan with credit cards, banking on the fact that I'd soon be earning enough to pay them off. Counting my chickens before they hatched wasn't the best move in the world!

But, on a brighter note, I've found MSE and, thanks to some really good advice, I soon hope to cut our outgoings, pay off my cards and start planning a more frugal future.

Thanks all
  • dragey
    Options
    Hi

I'm a 30 year old girl/woman (how did that happen?!?)

Earlier this year I took the daunting step of contracting as a computer software tester after working for the same company for 7 years. I now spend mon-fri in Leeds and travel back to my house and boyfriend at weekends :j

I've been lurking in oldstyle for over a year but only recently signed up and posted for the first time last night. I've picked up loads of tips over the past year and as a result I'm awaiting delivery of a breadmaker on friday :D

I've always preferred home cooking to ready meals, but seem to have lapsed slightly since living in a pokey flat in Leeds, but I make up for it at weekends by baking cakes and using the slowcooker. I really must try harder during the week!

Our dream is to emigrate to new zealand, after a holiday there 3 years ago, so that's the next thing on my list.

That's about it really

Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family