Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• andoni1
    Options
    Hi there, I just bought a bike from Ebay and wanted it shipped to UK, I want to arrange my own courier by the quotes I got from Fedex, etc are very high. The box is 14Kg 140cm long 22cm wide and 72 high. Can anyone suggest any cheap couriers?
    Thank you
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    andoni1 wrote: »
    Hi there, I just bought a bike from Ebay and wanted it shipped to UK, I want to arrange my own courier by the quotes I got from Fedex, etc are very high. The box is 14Kg 140cm long 22cm wide and 72 high. Can anyone suggest any cheap couriers?
    Thank you

Shipped to the UK from where?
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Tarkus wrote: »
    I have just stopped using Parcel 2 Go as a result of them damaging one package and losing another, but also, because their customer service shocking. Following a recent complaint to them and my advice that I was going to report them to the Ombutsman, they responded with 'we are not regulated by the Ombutsman'. Whilst this may be fact, it was a warning sign to me and is one which anyone should consider when using these cheap cost couriers..

They didn't lose it. The courier did. You don't mention who the courier was?
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have found Collect Plus mostly good. Their tracking information seems rubbish though. I have items shown as going back and forth to the national and regional hubs days after the buyer has left feedback saying its arrived, items where the tracking has just stopped at national hub and arrived. However I have sent 60 parcels in 9 months and only one went missing and that was because I put the wrong house number on and somehow instead of coming back to me just vanished but I got fully compensated.
    I have noticed since about November that anything sent by the under 2kg option normally arrives within 24 hours. For fully tracked item next day delivery for £4 I think is pretty good.
  • Quinny_2
    Options
    Well at close of play tonight, they still hadn't found mine, and I even had an e.mail to ask what it looked like!!!!!:mad::mad:

The upside is, they will be getting a request for £50 of compensation tomorrow, as it has now been 8 days.
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    staffsuk wrote: »
    Sad to report that Total Parcels - formerly GWizz Couriers - have gone bust :(

I have used them an awful lot over the last two years - and their customer service has always been excellent.

It's odd because the company re-branded a matter of a couple of weeks ago to Total Parcels with a new website etc.

I now need to find someone as reliable and cheap (for UPS + insurance) as they were :huh:

Back after a short holiday ;)

I found clickandsendparcel too (awful name!) and have booked a couple of consignments with them to see how they go. £7.49 + vat for UPS Standard - but insurance is more expensive - £5.00 for £250.

Similar setup to Gwizz - and labels arrive within 5 minutes.

Will see how they go...
  • Quinny_2
    Options
    Quinny wrote: »
    I have used them myself previously, but they have now gone down in my estimation.

Dropped a parcel off at the local shop on New Years Day to go from Ossett to Perth, (Not the Aussie one.) and it still hasn't arrived 8 days later. It was scanned onto the van on Jan 2nd at the shop.

I've just rung them up, and the last track they have is that it was last scanned at the depot in Leeds. :mad:

I have just rung them up, and told them that I now want to claim, as the item is now outside of their delivery window, and I want it listed as officially missing in order to claim.

I'm now just waiting for the form to be e.mailed to me.
  • Quinny_2
    Options
    Claim form just arrived.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quinny wrote: »
    Claim form just arrived.

Good luck with that. Like a lot of couriers their list of items excluded from insurance was rather lengthy !
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    staffsuk wrote: »
    Back after a short holiday ;)

I found clickandsendparcel too (awful name!) and have booked a couple of consignments with them to see how they go. £7.49 + vat for UPS Standard - but insurance is more expensive - £5.00 for £250.

Similar setup to Gwizz - and labels arrive within 5 minutes.

Will see how they go...

UPDATE: OK first parcel collected & delivered - so far so good.

Just to clarify - their rate for UPS is £7.49 + vat for a parcel up to 30Kg (volumetric or actual - whichever is greater). This includes £50 insurance.

They do strongly push for you to measure your parcels accurately - as UPS are VERY stringent about volumetric (dimensional) weight. There is a hefty £35 surcharge if it goes over... I have had a few scrapes with UPS on this front in the past - and I now routinely give oversize dimensions on all my parcels. Any that come close to the 30Kg volumetric limit - I measure & photograph with the tape in place - and in the past I have also got the driver to check the measurements & sign a document of confirmation.

Their site is quite comprehensive - but as yet doesn't present the option to take goods to your local depot - although there is a live chat & email facility & they said they can provide for this if notified.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback