Determined This Time

Options
Well I've been posting on and off on here for a number of years and even though my debts have not increased they have decreased very little. I have loads of debts (in excess of £60K) and have arrangements in place to repay each of them at £1 per month.

So what has changed this time? Not an awful lot, I still don't have an awful lot of spare cash at the end of each month but I am going to try and get back into the debt busting bug.

My first debt to tackle is with Done Deal and at the last count I owed about £110. I don't have enough spare cash to pay it all off but I have contacted them and asked them for a settlement figure. I'm hoping that the settlement figure will be greatly reduced and it'll be a figure I can manage.

I have £20 in my savings account, am able to add another £9 next Thursday when a cheque clears so that takes me up to £29. Once I receive a confirmed settlement figure I'll post it in my signature and let the journey begin again!
12/04/2019
Savings £134 nothing changed here
Credit Score 134/700 - Jan. 171/700 - Feb. 151/700 - Mar.

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    Debt bust at your own pace. You'll get there when you get there. It all counts. :)
    DIA.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • anita55
    anita55 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi desperate found you souds like we have things in common I have a lot of FC's which I pay back £1 a month.

Just wanted to wish you good luck and will subscribe to keep tabs on you lol x
  • Thanks both.

OK so a bit about me. Divorced with two children living at home and unemployed 21 year old son and an 18 year old student daughter. Work full time (and have been with the same employer for the past 26 years). Currently off on the sick as been having some health problems but luckily I get paid.

Am also studying for my degree in the hope to get a better paid job within my organisation. Have 18 months to go with that!

Have a partner of 7 years who isn't aware of the extent of my debts (we still live in our own homes). He's aware I don't have much disposable income and would be absolutely mortified if he knew how much I was in debt. At the moment it's not a problem between us as we have no intention of moving in together until both my children have flown the next. I am however aware that that day could come soon!

Am not going to blame anyone for my debt as it's all down to me. After my divorce (13 years ago) I was left with substantial debt but the fact I'm a spendaholic hasn't helped my case.

I know that if I decide to go at the debt busting and put life on hold that I'll get bored so I know I have to keep the momentum going. That is why I have decided to continue to have a life whilst I'm paying everything off. I know this is not the attitude to take but also know my limitations. So the first debt to tackle is with ARC Europe. As previously stated I do not have a settlement figure for this but have contacted the company for this with the intention of paying it off next pay day which is 21st of February.

So I have a plan, lets see if I can stick to it.
    12/04/2019
  • anita55
    anita55 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I no what you mean about debt busting I go full on and then splurge wish I could be slow and steady.

My oh doesn't really no the extent of our debt and really doesn't want to so thats why I deal with it less stress

We all have to do what works for us keep doing what's best for you x
  • OK so am having a paperwork day today and the plan is:

Contact HCBC to find out details of ppi claim that they have written to me informing me I should go through the FSCS. May be a refund there.

Have had to phone British Gas as Central Heating not working so they are coming out before 1.00 pm today.

I need to open a saving account for DS as I don't want him to find himself in the same boat as me in years to come.

Get up the attic and start sorting through stuff for a car boot sale. Once the weather breaks I want to be able to lay my hands on the stuff and go, being off work is an ample time for me to do this!

Have a small ppi refund claim which is going through Lloyds bank at the moment so am going to phone them for an update.

Arrange for daughter to contact her Open University tutor so that they can release her student finance grant.
    12/04/2019
  • So today I have:

Opened savings account for DS
    Had central heating repaired

Not quite completed the list I'd planned to do but it's a start.
    12/04/2019
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks both.

OK so a bit about me. Divorced with two children living at home and unemployed 21 year old son and an 18 year old student daughter. Work full time (and have been with the same employer for the past 26 years). Currently off on the sick as been having some health problems but luckily I get paid.

Am also studying for my degree in the hope to get a better paid job within my organisation. Have 18 months to go with that!

Have a partner of 7 years who isn't aware of the extent of my debts (we still live in our own homes). He's aware I don't have much disposable income and would be absolutely mortified if he knew how much I was in debt. At the moment it's not a problem between us as we have no intention of moving in together until both my children have flown the next. I am however aware that that day could come soon!

Am not going to blame anyone for my debt as it's all down to me. After my divorce (13 years ago) I was left with substantial debt but the fact I'm a spendaholic hasn't helped my case.

I know that if I decide to go at the debt busting and put life on hold that I'll get bored so I know I have to keep the momentum going. That is why I have decided to continue to have a life whilst I'm paying everything off. I know this is not the attitude to take but also know my limitations. So the first debt to tackle is with ARC Europe. As previously stated I do not have a settlement figure for this but have contacted the company for this with the intention of paying it off next pay day which is 21st of February.

So I have a plan, lets see if I can stick to it.

I really agree about making life bearable whilst you debt bust. I'm going to go hard at it, but I'm still going to try and enjoy it too or else like you I'll start feeling sorry for myself and throw in the towel. I might start a break-out fund for when the going gets tough :)

It seems this debt-busting stuff is partly a mind-set and you seem focused. Have a good evening
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Hi DIA,

I want to get the debt paid off but I also want to be able to live a little - don't get me wrong I don't mean cruises and champagne but I don't want to beat myself up if there's a night out that I'd like to go on.

Hopefully I can get the balance right.
    12/04/2019
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much money would it save you to have him move in? And why is your 21 year old unemployed? All nice ways to bring money in without having to declare it to your creditors.
    Keep going with everything :) it's not gone up and that's the most important thing xxxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Have just received an email from Mazuma saying they have paid me for recycling a mobile phone. Not much only £5 but I've transferred in into my savings account to put towards ARC. That takes my total up to £34. Am hoping that they'll accept a settlement figure of £50 so will only have to fine another £16.
    12/04/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure