Taking legal action against Amway or IBS

Options

Comments

• Grobbelrevell
    Options

I however know very little about IBS, except I've heard that Amway has refused to renew the contracts of the IBS diamonds and many emeralds, and that IBS itself is considered "not in good standing". If anyone is able to give me some more information I'd love to know it.

Cheers,
    /i

The reason that Jerry Scriven has given for IBS and indeed himself and Pat Gregory being placed in a "not in good standing" catagory by the company was due to the following:

The day the morotorium on sponsoring AND training materials (the distribution of books and CDs as well as the functions) was announced, IBS and Mandy Scriven in particular recieved a phone call 20 minutes prior to the main email being circulated. During this phone call they were told by a senior member of the corporation management that they were to cancel all seminars, put a stop on all distribution of tools and take down all IBS websites. This phone call came at around 4pm on a friday afternoon and due to that there was a limit on what could be done that day.

This was explained and IBS were given a week to sort this out - which they did to the best of their knowledge.

A few weeks later they then recieved a phone call from the company informing them that they were no longer in good standing with the company and a letter was on its way by recorded post to ouline why.

This letter arrived explaining that the company had discovered a web page that was a part of the IBS website and they had therefore not adhered to the morotorium. At this point the letter also informed them that their bonus payments were to effectively be cut by a third for the time being.
    Jerry actually explained (to other IBO's - not the company) that this web page was actually linked to a website that they had actually closed down and it was not an obvious link (ie you had to actively search for it to find that page).

They were given no chance to respond to this letter and the sanctions were imposed immediately.

Following on from this a month or so later they then recieved another letter that again explained that the company had found another page that contained details relating to the IBS organisation and as a result Jerry and Mandy Scriven and Pat and Greta Gregory were suspended from Amway and all bonus' stopped immediately.

Again Jerry explained that they had been given no chance to respond and this page was set up not by IBS but a member of their group, and the site was also no longer active.

This was sometime in June i believe (but i may be wrong on the exact date).

Since then they recieved a third letter from the company explaining what Amway were intending to do in terms of restructuring the business and how everyone would be required to renew their contracts to come into line with this. However, the letter went on to outline that the company reserved the right to accept and refuse whoever it liked when renewing contracts based on the history of the said person with the company - and as a result they would not be renewing either the Scrivens or the Gregorys contracts.

The impression that was put across was that the company had acted completely immorally in dealing with this and Jerry and Mandy and IBS had started legal proceedings against the company.

Now this is the version of events that was outlined by IBS and in that respect i am not in a position to say if these facts are correct.

It appears now that the Scrivens and the Gregorys have parted company to some degree with Jerry and Mandy along with Dave Butler and a hand full of other emeralds (whether their contracts have also been terminated i do not know) about to get involved with two other network marketing business', while the Gregorys have chosen not to take this route.
  • Grobbelrevell
    Options
    djbd1973 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input Grobbelrevell.
    Alot of the emeralds of IBS of my time period would also confirm the tools scenario. Neil and Ruth Salway are two of those such emeralds.

When you say they would confirm the tools scenario, do you mean they would confirm that there was secretly a profit being made on them and a business being ran built on them?

Or do you mean they also carried the line that they were non-profit?
  • Grobbelrevell
    Options
    Tomstickland.

Just to comment on one of the links that you provided: Merchants of deception.

I think the author of that site/book may not be the hero that he makes himself out to be (allegedly). Please see the link below and scroll down.

http://www.mlmwatchdog.com/mlm-amway.html
  • ibofightback
    Options
    Thanks for the info Grobbelrevell - seems a lot of folk, particular Gregory downline, have had no information at all about any of this.

There's a few disbelieving folk on my forums, I've reposted your post above there, hope you don't mind.
  • FredChopin_2
    Options
    When you say they would confirm the tools scenario, do you mean they would confirm that there was secretly a profit being made on them and a business being ran built on them?

We were always told that there were 6 ways of making money - the first 3 were explicit from the start - retail profit, monthly bonuses, and, when you got to Platinum, leadership bonuses. The other three we understood were part of the training system. (We were in IBS.) Royalties on speeches recorded and subsequently published on a tape/CD, profit from sales of tapes and from meetings. We understood that roughly half of the leaders' income was from the Amway business, the other half was from the training side. No-one ever told us that it was non-profit.
  • FredChopin_2
    Options
    As soon as that lawsuit was submitted Fred Harteis had his name withdrawn claiming he knew nothing about it.

I know I'm cynical (incidentally, I, too, am an Amway distributor), but how does someone's name get on a legal document, drawn up by a lawyer, without them knowing about it? Are US lawyers that stupid?
  • djbd1973
    djbd1973 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

There were emeralds during the 90's who questioned the profit from tools and were not thanked for questioning it.
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • ibofightback
    Options
    FredChopin wrote:
    I know I'm cynical (incidentally, I, too, am an Amway distributor), but how does someone's name get on a legal document, drawn up by a lawyer, without them knowing about it? Are US lawyers that stupid?

Apparently some are, yup!
  • MickKnipfler
    MickKnipfler Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    Options
    Has anybody got contact details for Steve Harvey? (please pm me)
  • Burnt-Fingers
    Options
    Just found this, Ex IBS Emerald Ruth Salway, Who I think worked personally with Diamonds Pat & Greta Gregory.

http://igrit.co.uk/ruthsalway/?page_id=2

Powerful stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family