IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Nasty tricks

Options

Comments

• Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    masif1 wrote: »
    A number of points to note:

Er...wrong.

This is nothing to note, or indeed of note, in your post.

As soon as the word 'private' is used/implied everything else is pointless and meaningless.

HTH
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • barge
    barge Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I received a parking charge notice from Parking Eye on 17th June that was dated 9th June taking 8 days to reach me. It was demanded that I pay a parking charge of £80 that woukd be reduced to £50 if paid by 22nd June. I came home today 20th June to find a 2nd letter dated 17th June giving me 2 days to pay £50 or the charge would rise to £80. It also stated if not paid within 20days of the notice it would rise to £110. This had photographs of my car entering and leaving the car park at Romford Ice Arena in Romford Essex. I had been there that day but had displayed a disabled badge as my mother who is disabled was travelling with me. I did check the signs which said disabled badge holders parked free of charge.
    I take it that I should just ignore the demands totally.
  • MrandMrsB
    MrandMrsB Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    I have been almost completely housebound for the last few years, but the other day we went to a ghastly modern shopping centre for the first time ever. Mr B mentioned that we could only park in their carpark for two hours after which time there is an automatic fine........is that "Parking Eye"? Sorry I am so out-of-touch....I'm not really sorry!
  • hillcats
    hillcats Posts: 899 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just interested to know if Parking Eye take it any further than a final notice usually?
    Nothing after the FINAL letter, and I've had three rounds from PE... *yawn*
    ORIGINAL MORTGAGE AMOUNT £106,454.00 (Started Sept 2007)
    NOV 2021 O/S AMOUNT £1,694.41 OUR DEBT REDUCED BY £104,759.59 by std regular, over-payments & off-setting.
    BofE +0.19% Tracker Repayment Offset Mortgage Discounted Sept 07-10 then increased to BofE +0.62% until 2027
  • funkycoldribena
    Options
    MrandMrsB wrote: »
    I have been almost completely housebound for the last few years, but the other day we went to a ghastly modern shopping centre for the first time ever. Mr B mentioned that we could only park in their carpark for two hours after which time there is an automatic fine........is that "Parking Eye"? Sorry I am so out-of-touch....I'm not really sorry!

Not quite sure what you're saying but "parking eye " is the name of the company if thats what you mean.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • MrandMrsB
    MrandMrsB Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite sure what you're saying but "parking eye " is the name of the company if thats what you mean.

Sorry, I'm not feeling well, so did not word that properly. I thought maybe "Parking Eye" is new technology to enable owners to monitor how long each car has been parked in their car parks. Oh I see it's a company. That could be what Mr B was referring to when he said the car park owners know who has park there and there is an automatic fine. Thanks.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    MrandMrsB wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not feeling well, so did not word that properly. I thought maybe "Parking Eye" is new technology to enable owners to monitor how long each car has been parked in their car parks. Oh I see it's a company. That could be what Mr B was referring to when he said the car park owners know who has park there and there is an automatic fine. Thanks.
    The only thing is that it is not a "fine". No private company can fine you. What they issue are speculative invoices in respect of supposed breaches of rules they have dreamt up and apply to squeeze your hard-earned out of your pockets. Don't be fooled and suggest to Mr B that he reads a few more threads here so he can get the idea. Once that's clear, tell all your friends as well.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2014 at 1:48AM
    Options
    This is an old thread, with old advice which no longer applies from 2013 onwards!!!!!

STOP READING NOW THIS IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME, GO TO PAGE ONE OF THIS FORUM INSTEAD (ONE CLICK AWAY, AS EXPLAINED IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW).

YOU MUST APPEAL NOW IF IN ENGLAND/WALES!!!!!!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Driver8
    Driver8 Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS - DON'T PAY!
    IT IS NOT A FINE! YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING ILLEGAL!

This is an information page for the thousands of people who receive "tickets" from private companies in the UK ever day at supermarkets, retail parks, and in any other privately-owned carpark.

We are NOT encouraging anybody to openly flout parking restrictions on private land, or to refuse to pay reasonable charges for parking. Landowners have a right to make reasonable charges for the use of their land.

For advice specific to your case, you should visit the forums at http://forums.pepipoo.com or http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

1. What you should know about these companies

It is important to remember that private parking companies (or PPCs as they are often called) have NO OFFICIAL POWERS - that's right, none at all! They give out their "tickets" on the basis that you have seen the signs in their car park and that you have therefore agreed to a contract obliging you to pay a certain sum of money.

2. What happens to people who don't pay?

In 99.9% of cases, absolutely NOTHING! The company pays the DVLA £2.50 to get your address, and then sends lots of threatening letters. In the main, these letters can be safely IGNORED. The only way the company can actually force you to pay is by taking you to the small claims court, which costs them even more money. And they are by no means guaranteed to win! And they practically never do.

The two main reasons for this (among others) are the following:

- Only the person DRIVING the car could ever have agreed to any such parking contract. The company can only get the Registered Keeper's address from the DVLA: you don't have to tell them who was driving.

-Many of these charges are so extortionately high that they constitute a penalty, which is unenforceable in a consumer contract.

3. Can they affect my credit rating?

NO! The only way your credit rating could be affected by ignoring private parking companies is if you were taken to court, lost, and then still refused to pay. But they will not take you to court.

IN SHORT

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE tickets from private parking companies, they are not official fines.

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE the threatening letters, including those from debt collection agencies.

You DO NOT have to pay a penny of your hard-earned money to these companies. Remember that the chances of being taken to court are very slim indeed.

DO NOT IGNORE COURT PAPERS!
    If you receive real court papers from a private parking company (very rare) then you should go to http://forums.pepipoo.com or http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences for help defending the claim. Do not be afraid to sign up and ask questions regarding any paperwork you are not sure about.

Don’t believe the above? Watch a solicitor on Watchdog advising you what to do with the scam invoices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

THEY ARE NOT FINES

Only the Police, Courts or Council’s can fine you. NOT a private company, please remember that.
  • denzz
    denzz Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi guys. Thanks for the info i have gathered so far regarding parking eye. I have just received a parking charge notice from them. In the notice they stated that i had failed to respond to their previous 2 notices, hence they are increasing the charge from £50 to £80 and will become £110 if i dont respond. The notice doesn't even tell me what the contravention is. But the problem is that I have never received any previous notices from them at all. This is the first! I feel like its a scam. I remember shopping at Morrisons on the day they claim the contravention took place, but it was a simple case of parking and shopping. This is strange.

Any advice? Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport