OU Students Past, Present and Future

Options

Comments

• giggles_alot
    giggles_alot Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    johng_uk wrote: »
    That's a bit of a radical comment there and a bit of a slap in the face for those who give up many hours of their time trying to better themselves.

Maybe you were just doing the wrong courses?

I've never heard anyone be so down on the OU before - Every opinon I've heard in the past has been the complete opposite of yours.

Got to agree :beer:
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    I've studied two level one courses, and one level two course i haven't attempted a level three yet! However i decided to do a few 10 point courses over this coming summer to keep myself occupied and i'm finding one of them extremely difficult, yet they are a lesser level than some previous ones i have studied! I feel it depends on an individuals level of education, ability and other duties outside of studying. Also previous study if it's a subject you have studied a lot in the past then it may be 'easy'. Possibly try a more challenging course next time! Gosh i wish i found it easy!! lol
    Winging life....
  • clairet1961
    clairet1961 Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    I am currently revising for my first open uni exam (K101) which is on Wednesday...i just feel like nothing is going into my poor brain...anyone got any good tips?? (apart from start revising earlier!:o)
    I have print outs of main points for each unit/block all over the walls but entering comps on here is so much more fun...;)
    Smoke free since 30/01/13 :j
  • KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    Hi Clairet, i have no idea how i passed my K101 as i fell really ill not long before the exam so i literally revised for 24 hours before it until 5am in the morning of the exam lmao! The main advice my tutor gave me was to remember two or three case studies in the course that you can refer to in your exam answers to show you have studied and understood the course. I'm the same with comps although i'm not lucky! Good luck with your exam on Weds!!!
    Winging life....
  • clairet1961
    Options
    Hi Katie
    Thanks for the advice...i have been trying to revise all day today but am easily distracted. I have done about half of the what i was intending to do. Have another block to do tomorrow, and think i'll cram until have to leave to sit exam...probably a good idea i'm driving as the thought of pub for a swift one before exam sounds very appealing right now!!!!:o
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    DB123 (Personal Finance)-Only 30 points, but need to get back in the swing before I start my level 3 later this year.

K100-Health & Social Care
    DD100-Social Sciences
    B120-Business Studies
    DSE212-Exploring Psychology
    DD208-Welfare, crime and Society

DD305-Personal Lives & Social Policy
    If I can complete this, then I will gain a Diploma In Social Policy.

The above I have done since not being able to work due to illness over the past 3 years. I find studying helps me focus on something other than pain and tiredness. It has been extremely difficult and constantly was asking for extensions. I try and do a minimum of 20 mins each day which sometimes I find very difficult.

As I am disabled and pretty much housebound, I am allowed to sit my exams at home with an invigilator (sp).

I do already hold other qualifications, with the highest being an NVQ 5. Mostly being in Management, IPD and Social Care/Work.

I would love to go to university, but I think if I am well enough to attend Uni for X amount of hours each week, then I am well enough to work. Dont think I would be able to get the support I would need either.

I wasnt allowed funding or grants for my current course, so I paid for it out of Xmas money, Tesco vouchers and Ebaying. I am hoping that I will get funding for my next course as it is very expensive. The last few courses, I have been able to get a DSA and the grants etc. The OU have been great in the past though, so I cant moan and they have provided many items that have benefited me and for that I am grateful.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    Lol Claire you sound like me with the pub idea! I think i was overdosed on kalms in my exam ha, good luck :D Bet you'll do great!
    Winging life....
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    DB123 (Personal Finance)-Only 30 points, but need to get back in the swing before I start my level 3 later this year.

K100-Health & Social Care
    DD100-Social Sciences
    B120-Business Studies
    DSE212-Exploring Psychology
    DD208-Welfare, crime and Society

DD305-Personal Lives & Social Policy
    If I can complete this, then I will gain a Diploma In Social Policy.

The above I have done since not being able to work due to illness over the past 3 years. I find studying helps me focus on something other than pain and tiredness. It has been extremely difficult and constantly was asking for extensions. I try and do a minimum of 20 mins each day which sometimes I find very difficult.

As I am disabled and pretty much housebound, I am allowed to sit my exams at home with an invigilator (sp).

I do already hold other qualifications, with the highest being an NVQ 5. Mostly being in Management, IPD and Social Care/Work.

I would love to go to university, but I think if I am well enough to attend Uni for X amount of hours each week, then I am well enough to work. Dont think I would be able to get the support I would need either.

I wasnt allowed funding or grants for my current course, so I paid for it out of Xmas money, Tesco vouchers and Ebaying. I am hoping that I will get funding for my next course as it is very expensive. The last few courses, I have been able to get a DSA and the grants etc. The OU have been great in the past though, so I cant moan and they have provided many items that have benefited me and for that I am grateful.

PP
    xx

Youve done some brilliant courses there. I loved DB123 when did that, totally agree the DSA side, they really do everything they can to help you, I've got an exam in Nov (B201 Business), but I cant do the main centre (due to disabilites), so think there arrangeing somewhere closer to home.....
    x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • clairet1961
    Options
    Lol Claire you sound like me with the pub idea! I think i was overdosed on kalms in my exam ha, good luck :D Bet you'll do great!

the pub is such a good idea...although will have to leave it til friday after work i think!
    are kalms any good? i have rescue remedy...or failing that valium!!!!:o
  • KatieShopstoomuch
    Options
    I found kalms helped me on my driving test and i think they helped me on the exam although i cannot be sure if i was relaxed because of the kalms or the extreme lack of sleep lol! I've heard rescue remedy is good and i noticed a woman in the exam had the one you dab on your tounge so it must be good! You won't need it anyway enjoy celebrating on Friday ;)
    Winging life....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport