Things that annoy you in supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Arthurian
    Options
    I don't like it when cashiers sneeze or cough into their hands, smile, then proceed to paw my groceries across the conveyor belt using those now germ-ridden hands. I wish supermarkets would issue tills with packs of alcohol wipes for staff to use in such circumstances, particularly when there are lots of colds and flu going about.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Arthurian wrote: »
    I don't like it when cashiers sneeze or cough into their hands, smile, then proceed to paw my groceries across the conveyor belt using those now germ-ridden hands. I wish supermarkets would issue tills with packs of alcohol wipes for staff to use in such circumstances, particularly when there are lots of colds and flu going about.

Anyone who is less than hygienic should also be barred from handling food. There was a cashier at my nearest M&S with the most horrific dandruff I've ever seen, I mean proper big lumps of skin. Why of why would you put them on a food till? You could see bits coming off as she moved and she'd scratch her head and shower the surrounding area. I only ever used her till once!

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm aware they are entitled to a job and they probably can't help their skin condition but surely a more suitable job could be found?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Red*Dragonfly
    Red*Dragonfly Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2014 at 9:21PM
    Options
    I don't use self service till and hate when i'm standing in the que and a member of staff asks if I would like to use the self service. If I wanted to use it I would have gone there, and are these people geting paid to ask customers to serve themselves?????

Ok, now as someone who works in a shop (not suppermarket).
    In wales we charge for carrier bags so alot of customers bring their own bags, so:
    I ask if they need bags?
    They say no.
    I then scan the items,
    but customer dose not get bag out untill after I have scaned all items, then they start to pack item and will not pay untill they have finished packing,
    also will not let me help to pack bags, so I'm sitting like a lemon unable to do anything while the que gets longer and longer (these are usualy the same people who complane about ques).

Then theres the people (not anoying but confusing) who say they have bags 'in the car', so they carry all the shopping (mixture of cleaning products and toiletries) in arms, droping items every few steps, to the car, put items in bags, then go to next shop and do the same thing.
    JUST TAKE THE BAGS INTO THE SHOP!!!!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone who is less than hygienic should also be barred from handling food. There was a cashier at my nearest M&S with the most horrific dandruff I've ever seen, I mean proper big lumps of skin. Why of why would you put them on a food till? You could see bits coming off as she moved and she'd scratch her head and shower the surrounding area. I only ever used her till once!

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm aware they are entitled to a job and they probably can't help their skin condition but surely a more suitable job could be found?

Perhaps a complaint or two is needed.

The problem with a lot of British people is that they moan to each other or moan to a cashier that has no input how the store is run etc.

They need to moan to head office (not the MD or CEO) and to this example with the dandruff riddled cashier, the actual store.

I use to suffer from dandruff badly. Turns out I cannot use cheap shampoo or 2 in 1.

I bet this cashier denies she has dandruff.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maurice28 wrote: »
    Why? What is the point of this? It must take a while to do and I can't see any benefits. At least when they move things to other aisles it gets you walking around the store trying to find things.
    .. and therefore more likely to be tempted into an impulse purchase - which is presumably why they do it.

Probably some bit of focus group research handed down to them from head office.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    .. and therefore more likely to be tempted into an impulse purchase - which is presumably why they do it

From over 2 decades of working in retail I've only ever known stores rearranged for one reason, new product ranges and to try and make the flow of the store more logical eg where each type of product range is placed.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2014 at 4:03PM
    Options
    I don't use self service till and hate when i'm standing in the que and a member of staff asks if I would like to use the self service. If I wanted to use it I would have gone there, and are these people geting paid to ask customers to serve themselves?????

Ok, now as someone who works in a shop (not suppermarket).
    In wales we charge for carrier bags so alot of customers bring their own bags, so:
    I ask if they need bags?
    They say no.
    I then scan the items,
    but customer dose not get bag out untill after I have scaned all items, then they start to pack item and will not pay untill they have finished packing,
    also will not let me help to pack bags, so I'm sitting like a lemon unable to do anything while the que gets longer and longer (these are usualy the same people who complane about ques).

Then theres the people (not anoying but confusing) who say they have bags 'in the car', so they carry all the shopping (mixture of cleaning products and toiletries) in arms, droping items every few steps, to the car, put items in bags, then go to next shop and do the same thing.
    JUST TAKE THE BAGS INTO THE SHOP!!!!!
    [STRIKE]
    I honestly didn't realise that the word "queue" was so hard to spell...[/STRIKE]

Scratch that. The whole thing is an abomination.
  • trukdiver
    Options
    From over 2 decades of working in retail I've only ever known stores rearranged for one reason, new product ranges and to try and make the flow of the store more logical eg where each type of product range is placed.

Yes, it is more logical. They put common products at opposite ends of the store so that you walk past all the displays of "bargain offers" and end up with loads of things you didn't intend to buy!
  • deeds
    deeds Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Everything annoys me, facing the great unwashed, slow people, people sneezing/coughing then touching stuff _pale_ urgh! why be so filthy?

The loose/ unpackaged bakery items - there's always flies about or people coughing/sneezing/ nearby or handling items without tongs. what I don't understand is people wouldn't leave stuff like that uncovered in their own homes, in their own germs - so why think 'ooh lovely' about germ ridden items left exposed to all manner of pathogens & bacteria in a shop that has a footfall of hundreds of people passing & sneeze & flies etc..
    urgh.
    /rant over :o

People leaving mess in trolleys like empty wrappers/ bags etc.
    People being rude for no reason.
    Kids.

people in general.
    Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right
  • Flossie.
    Flossie. Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    azzabazza wrote: »
    Staff having personal conversations amongst themselves whilst serving customers.

I agree with this. Happens almost every day when I am at a checkout. And yet, remember when that woman who was on a checkout at Sainsburys' refused to serve a woman who was on her phone?!

Bit rich, seeing as how they are often chatting to colleagues, when they're meant to be serving you.

Also, I hate the dot-com staff: the ones collecting the shopping for internet customers; they send you flying when they're whizzing around, and they're SO rude.

Also hate the customers who run for the cheap bargains, and who push in, in queues.

Also self service queues, as there is never a time when I don't have it pack up on me and say 'assistance required.' HATE them!

Checkout operatives asking 'would you like any bags?' when I have a trolley full of 50 items! No I am going to juggle all these items all the way to the car! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure