What are you doing with your Capital One card ?

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Put it through the shredder, they can have it back! Account CLOSED!
    Currently spending as much as possible to get maximum cash back then binning no point using a card for no reward...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Keep the card not use it, but keep it for the extras e.g. Credit monitoring
    derelyth wrote: »
    Weirdly for me, since replacing with the Barclays Freedom card I've actually moved more of my cash spending to the card. Contactless is a wonderful thing and something I don't have on my Cap1. I do wonder if it will have it when my replacement comes through the post in July...

Both my Cap1 and Luma incarnation are contactless so yes, your new one should be
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    Currently spending as much as possible to get maximum cash back then binning no point using a card for no reward...

Remember, you can always buy gift cards if it's a retailer you regularly shop at.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    derelyth wrote: »
    Contactless is a wonderful thing and something I don't have on my Cap1. I do wonder if it will have it when my replacement comes through the post in July...

i will be surprised if it doesn't.
  • derelyth
    derelyth Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Both my Cap1 and Luma incarnation are contactless so yes, your new one should be
    planteria wrote: »
    i will be surprised if it doesn't.

Shame I won't be using it - makes things so much easier! Enjoying the 6 months 0% on my new Freedom at the moment, the Cap1 will be my backup (it has been already when I forgot my PIN) and an Identity safeguard (due to the Equifax functions).
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My Cap1 is the only card I have that is not contactless.
  • jagdipa
    jagdipa Posts: 21 Forumite
    Put it through the shredder, they can have it back! Account CLOSED!
    Stereo wrote: »
    That's really bizarre, I have a Cap One Classic Extra card with a ridiculously high APR, yet they are letting me keep the 0.5% cashback that I get with it.

Must be due to how much interest is potentially paid to them if balances aren't cleared in full every month.
    Well it gets more bizarre. I have the same Aspire World - no fee. I use to get 1% and £10 bonus (the £10 because they cancelled free holiday insurance when you bought the holiday with the card).

Now I get 0%. So I am moving - just havent decided where yet. I'm going to see if Baclaycard will still offer my the tiered 0.5%, 1%, 1.5% deal they had a couple of years ago. Dont remember how much you had to spend to trigger the next tier up though.
  • derelyth
    derelyth Posts: 87 Forumite
    jagdipa wrote: »
    Well it gets more bizarre. I have the same Aspire World - no fee. I use to get 1% and £10 bonus (the £10 because they cancelled free holiday insurance when you bought the holiday with the card).

Now I get 0%. So I am moving - just havent decided where yet. I'm going to see if Baclaycard will still offer my the tiered 0.5%, 1%, 1.5% deal they had a couple of years ago. Dont remember how much you had to spend to trigger the next tier up though.

Fairly sure they won't offer it - the only "reward" card they offer new customers is their Freedom Rewards points card. Some have had luck in upgrading older cards to their "existing customers only" Cashback Amex/Visa cards but (Amex aside) decent 1% CB cards are getting fewer and fewer...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 May 2015 at 10:18AM
    I suspect not a lottery but a carefully crafted plan to keep some customers that they can make from, and a two fingered salute to the ones that they can't.

I have always paid my bill by DD IN FULL every month, never ever let them charge me for a late payment or even a foreign TX fee....

In their eyes, I'm not someone that they would wish to hold on to.....

I agree I have had my Cap One card for several years and always used it as a 'debit' card and earned cash from purchases.I would transfer and pay any money owed virtually as soon as I got home so I never owed them any money at all.Obviously they were making no money from me and it was costing them in the region of £70-80+in cashback:rotfl:But hey ho its not a problem its just something to change.I tried to check out eligalbilty via this site for a different card and it keeps saying error on page so i may have to check out at the store the M &S card as it will give me points at least on shopping there.
    P.S. my Cap One card is contactless as well. No doubt the companies will be chasing everyone for the business that C/One loses :):):)
  • boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    I am, soon to be was, an Aspire Elite holder and have racked up thousands of cashback over the years as put business spending on the card so am really going to miss it!

I've signed up to the Hilton Honours so I can claim a free nights stay but don't plan on keeping the card for long.

I do not want an amex as the company I spend £1k with monthly only accept Visa and MC.

I don't know which card to migrate to for the foreseable future once I've used the HH card for a few weeks. I have been thinking about an Airline card, most probably some sort of Avois as I have about 80k avois points so might as well add to them but not convinced it will be the best value.

RIP Cap1!

BB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family