🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to say "No" to being a Bridesmaid, without ruining a friendship?

Options
WantToBeSE
WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
As per the title really. I recently met the person that my friend is marrying and don't think i can be part of the wedding as i don't believe it will work out.

Is it even possible to say "No" and keep the friendship intact?

_____

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Could make an excuse, maybe you wouldn't be able to keep an eye on the children ?
  • Netwizard
    Options
    Well if your really good friends, your friend would surely understand. Just say no but be polite about it. Job done :)
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, OMO.
    In 1 way, i wouldnt want to make things worse by lying, but i obviously cant tell them the truth...it's something i have been struggling with since being asked, but now they have started talking about colour of clothing etc, so i have to tell them asap..they are getting married in September.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Do you need to believe it will work out to be a bridesmaid? Tbh the lack of faith in my judgement would probably end the friendship, not the bridesmaid thing.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    As per the title really. I recently met the person that my friend is marrying and don't think i can be part of the wedding as i don't believe it will work out.

Is it even possible to say "No" and keep the friendship intact?

Is that the real reason though?
    How many people would get married if they really thought it wasn't going to work out?
    I'm sure there are couples around that many readers know that they thought it wouldn't work, but the couples are still together through time .
    If this person is really your friend then thank them for the offer but ask them if you can decline from the role.
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    Unless the person concerned was doing something like cheating or treating my friend very badly, I'd go. Its one day out your life v possibly hurting a very good mate.

But it's your call.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think being a bridesmaid necessarily requires you to have faith in the future of the marriage - your friend has asked you because she wants you to support her on her wedding day.

If you wanted to refuse because of nerves, pregnancy, health issues etc, I'm sure a good friend would understand. Your reason however will probably cause offence as you are questioning your friend's ability to select a suitable husband. I think if you refuse you'll have to think up a convincing white lie, or just accept that your friendship may be damaged.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I just don't think i can support them and although i may be wrong (i hope to be proved wrong in time), i just cant do it.
    I could make up a convincing excuse (nobody to watch my kids etc) i don't want to lie to my friend.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    How many people would get married if they really thought it wasn't going to work out?

My sister did, twice. Both times she said to me before the weddings that she knew it wouldn't last, but couldn't articulate why she was doing it. I refused to go to either wedding, and both marriages broke down after a couple of years.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wow
    I suppose you think you're taking the higher moral ground but in my book friends support each other regardless . If you were really a good friend you'd accept your friend's choice with the respect you no doubt expect her to give your decisions. Would it really be so hard to put your friend first for just one day ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills