Spill the beans... on grown-ups whose parents support them

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DD bought her house at peak of market and is hugely in negative equity. We have had to help or see her go to the wall on a number of occasions.

She also 'borrowed' my car 6 years ago.

I can't see an end to it really. (thinking as one of those older people who are 'hogging' the wealth).

The sooner I shuffle off this mortal coil and let the kids have the money the better, eh?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Since the age of 18 I have never asked for support from my parents, I'd be embarrassed to. Like if my pennies were pounds, my OH is completely the opposite and so even now in his mid-20s, he's being supported, partially, by them. Worse thing is that he could afford the stuff they pay for himself, he just prefers them to pay.

I do think there is a difference though between parents offering to buy something as a gift and children asking/relying on their parents.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • DBaspirantsaver
    Options
    my parents have helped us out occasionally - the most notable being, we live in their house while they live abroad, we pay a reduced rent, however, as a small pay back we are preparing the house for sale - decorating, plastering, gardening etc. My brother on the other hand has had loads, as he never saves any money so quite often gets in trouble financially.
  • fannyanna
    fannyanna Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My parents have helped out on oaccasions in the past by providing loans which are always paid back. When I was a teenager I was gifted £1,000 but I was adamant it was a loan and repaid my parents. We’ve also received cash gifts for example when we got married. We don't rely on my parents to get by with day to day expenses (even when my Husband lost his job) although I know that they would support us if we ever needed it - and we would do the same for them.

My parents are about to give my Husband and I a large sum of money to add to our deposit savings. This is being provided as early inheritance and is written in their will (basically I’ve already had a lifetime gift so when the inheritance is split between me and my siblings this amount will be taken into account). We will probably look to book them a small holiday to thank them for their generosity.

I believe my parents are happy to help us out because a) it works both way (ok, to a lesser extent) and b) they know that we don’t take the p*ss and will always repay them. My brother on the other hand has had money from my parents which they stipulated was a loan. They never saw a penny back so next time he asked for help they declined.
  • BlueSD
    BlueSD Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    My parents acted as the guarantor on our very first mortgage 14 years ago, but they never paid any money towards as we were careful with our income and never needed the help.

However, in the last year my Mum (lost Dad 8 years ago) loaned me enough to replace my car, which I'm repaying at £150 a month. She wanted to give me the loan rather than see me take out finance to pay for it.

For the first time, we've also had additional help from her as my dh was made redundant back in January and she gave us the money to pay off 2 credit cards in full. She gifted us with that amount and I'm extremely grateful.

On the other hand, my MIL and FIL were unable to offer any financial help at that time because they had just paid 3 months of my BIL's mortgage for the 3rd year in a row as well as giving him £10k to buy a new car. That particular BIL (who is the oldest son) has been bailed out of financial problems more times than I care to think and still can't get a grip on his money :mad:

It's nice to know the help is there if we need it, but my Mum would now be the last place I'd turn to as she's already given us so much.

BlueSD
  • BugglyB
    BugglyB Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    crochet wrote: »
    Should you maybe not try to live within your means? There is no need to spend thousands on a wedding.

There are plenty of adult "children" helping out their parent's financially too, why does the media and mse never cover this?

There is if parents really want all the aunties, uncles, cousins and grandmas to have a nice meal out etc. A wedding is more often a 'family celebration' and yes, feeding 100 people does cost at least a thousand pounds.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    (thinking as one of those older people who are 'hogging' the wealth).

The sooner I shuffle off this mortal coil and let the kids have the money the better, eh?
    This opens up a whole nother discussion, doesn't it. Yes, the 'baby boomers' had (and have) a LOT of advantages compared to their parents generation, and to their offspring's.

(But ask any of them and chances are they'll tell you they're hard done-by!:rotfl:)

It isn't the fault of individuals, and if we had had those advantages I'm sure we, too would have made the most of them. If anything's at fault it's the system that makes these inequalities rife.
  • stellar2011
    Options
    My parents are about to give me something in the order of £30,000 to buy a flat.

In some ways this makes me ashamed - I've been earning a decent wage for the past four years since uni, and if I'd put my mind to it, perhaps I could have saved a few thousand. I could never have saved £30k though, and I don't think I could buy with any less.

With the way rent is going in London, let alone other living costs, buying a flat is the most cost effective way for me to carry on living and working here. I'm deeply grateful that my parents are in the position to give me the money. (In effect it's a loan, as I'll do my very best to pay it back, but for mortgage purposes it has to be a gift.) My mum tells me she couldn't have bought her first London flat in the 70s without help from her parents... and so the cycle continues.

Interesting thread! :T
    here's to a stellar2013! :beer:
  • bride2be2012
    Options
    My parents have been very generous to us. They bought my first two cars (old bangers, but still it was transport) and paid all running costs as my dad used them too. The paid my rent for me at uni and helped if I was stuck for cash while studying. When I moved out with DH, they bought us bits and pieces for the house including our washing machine. We recently got married and they paid a large part of the reception and other bits and pieces too - prob about £2k in total. None of these were asked for, they were all gifts.

I have helped them out too though. About 6 years ago they wanted to move house for health reasons (wanted a bungalow). I was still at home and went on the mortgage as my mum wasn't working at the time. I paid the mortgage for them up until I moved out 18 months ago.

We also treat each other to smaller things every now and then. I wasn't working recently and my mum took me out for a meal and to the theatre. I'll repay the favour later in the year now I am working again.

I know my parents don't have a lot, but my mum always says if we are stuck just to ask. I just don't like asking now I'm a grown up!
  • Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2012 at 12:03PM
    Options
    I'm very lucky with my parents, they have helped both me and my two sisters out even though we are now all in our 30's.

My dad was guarantor on my first mortgage, shared with my cousin, as his brother (cousins dad) couldn't / didn't want to, and buying in London was beyond us at the time, but cheaper than rent.

When I moved, in 2006, they suggested I bought another house to live in, again, rather than waste money renting. When I was reticent my mum told me that they would never have been able to afford a house if her dad hadn't given them the money, and that they would own 10% of my house. Fair enough. Unfortunately their investment has now shrunk!

When my middle sister bought a couple of years ago, they lent her the same.

They have also lent my middle sister and I money to pay of some of our worse debts, which we are now repaying to them. Happily as that took the pressure off it helped avert the nervous breakdown I was rocketing towards 2 years ago, and having now paid everything else off (bar the mortgage) from working hard I'm looking forward to paying everything else back, even though my dad keeps telling me 'not to worry'

And my little sister? She's had nothing.... however, thats because she hasn't needed anything since her husbands father has helped them out. My parents did pay half for their wedding though which wasn't cheap (and not a loan), whereas me and my middle sister are not married.

I think my parents see it as doing it now when we need it rather than worrying about inheritance tax when they're gone. They're not rich (a teacher and a lecturer), but comfortable and if they can help they want to.

In the same vein a few years ago when one of my best friends was trying to buy a flat she needed a deposit, her family couldn't help so I lent it to her (from my credit card) which she paid back including the interest. I think what goes around comes around, and hope to be in a situation to do the same for any children I might have.

EDIT: We do also try and do things for our parents too. We saved a grand between us to pay for a holiday for their 35th wedding anniversary. Paid for a weekend away, meal, hamper etc for their 40th and so on. I never feel like I can do enough to repay them, but maybe thats part of life.
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport