We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free solar panel feedback discussion: HomeSun

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 June 2011 at 5:01PM in Energy
This thread is specifically to discuss feedback for
Homesun's free solar panels (Link)

If you've had solar panels installed by this company, we'd love to know how it went, so we can improve the guide. Things we'd like to know:

• Whereabouts are you?
  • How smooth was the panel-fitting process?
  • How much did you save on your electricity bill?
  • How long did you have to wait for the panels?
  • What are your tips to ensure you get the most out of the free panels?
  • Were there any technical glitches?
  • What should other MoneySavers watch out for when signing up?

CLICK REPLY TO FEEDBACK

To read about solar panels in general, see the main:
Solar panels guide

Thank you for your help

[signupbox]test[/signupbox]

Comments

• g7pkf
    g7pkf Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2011 at 3:38PM
    Options
    From start to finish Homesun have been great, yes buy out is a little high but then i use a lot of electricity (£91 a month) as we are in during the day-3 adults +children so at least 2 televisions on etc etc.

i live in a village just south of Milton Keynes.

things to watch when renting out your roof, DONT PAY FOR SURVEY OR PAY A COMMITMENT DEPOSIT (circa £2000) they will then make every
    excuse under the sun not to or why they couldnt fit "free" panels, then offer to do it at cost (£16,000). they got told at this point to take a running jump, ended up getting credit card company involved to get commitment deposit back. The pay for a survey is another trick-they survey for circa £100 and then say Oh if you want free you will need to pay for extra scaffold charges as "there's a sat dish/downpipe/etc in the way" or the land is inclined by 5degrees so its going to cost you £1500 scaffolding fee's if you want to go free (one of martins listed companies actually stated this to me in writing-5 degree incline= £1500 scaffolding bill)!!!

This is what i sent to Homesun today, Not all positive but if it was everyone would think i was paid to post. :beer:

Wow finally got my solar pv system installed and running.

I must say Homesun were the absolute best company I have dealt with in a long time thank you to all involved.

to check out electricity generated from my panels see here :-

(google pachuube feed 15114) new user no links allowed :(

I am going to add another sensor so I can see if I am drawing off grid or putting into grid.

Today in first hour of generation I am getting apx 3Kw out of the panels.

So far very happy, thank you again Homesun.

And if you want me to be a reference site I would have no problem with that whatsoever.

Photos of installation can be viewed here:-

www dot packetradio

dot co dot uk /gallery/index.php/Our-House/solar/

links again GRRRRRRR

Oh installation history below, not your fault at all but thought you should know!

Well here’s a break down of the saga of installing a solar pv system.

Tuesday 28/6/2011

Installers turn up as do electricians, all prompt all polite.

Easy deck scaffolding doesn’t fit my single story extension, bungalow stuff is too short full height too long.

Installers leave.

Told scaffolders will be here Friday for a Saturday installation.

Friday no scaffold.

Saturday 08:00 installers and electrician arrive.

09:15 finally get hold of someone who is chasing scaffolders who turn up at 09:30

12:30 job completed including scaffold being taken down and away.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Did you get a 'Free' system? or one where you pay £500 and £5 monthly maintenance fee?
  • g7pkf
    g7pkf Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Because my roof could take a full 16 panels and was totally south facing i was able to get the "free" system.

I looked at several companies including another listed by Martin, but for professionalism and upfront honesty Homesun came out top.

By upfront honesty i mean they sent out a surveyor BEFORE a lease contract (althougth they did send out a sample contract) or deciding if i could have free or solarshare. "the other company" wanted me to agree to a lease and agreement before they had assesed my roof/property properly.

One company even wanted a £2000 "commitment deposit" and then made every exchuse under the sun not to or why they couldnt fit "free" panels, then offered to do it at cost (£16,000). they got told at this point to take a running jump, ended up getting credit card company involved to get commitment deposit back.

I firmly belive that Solar PV is the new Double glazing or Moben kitchens of today, get a salesman in and thats it hes there till he sells.

It really is Buyer beware especially if buying, if you want free i would personally recommend Homesun.

and i have no links to them whatsoever apart from renting my roof to them:T
  • aspick
    aspick Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Did contact Homesun via online application and have had someone leave a message to call them back but after seeing article here on MSE am thinking of trying E-On as I am a customer of theirs and buyout fees are far less. However you have given good feedback on Homesun and there is no feedback in the E-On thread so am toying with both. Hopefully my house would be eligible for the totally free Homesun offer as I am South facing and looks like the roof will be big enough for the right amount of panels etc.
  • HomeSun_company_representative
    HomeSun_company_representative Posts: 86 Organisation Representative
    edited 5 July 2011 at 10:38AM
    Options
    aspick wrote: »
    Did contact Homesun via online application and have had someone leave a message to call them back but after seeing article here on MSE am thinking of trying E-On as I am a customer of theirs and buyout fees are far less. However you have given good feedback on Homesun and there is no feedback in the E-On thread so am toying with both. Hopefully my house would be eligible for the totally free Homesun offer as I am South facing and looks like the roof will be big enough for the right amount of panels etc.

Hi aspick,

We will be more than happy to assess your roof and get right back to you to let you know if your roof is suitable or not for Free Solar or SolarShare™. Just send us your full address and contact details to [EMAIL="customerservices@homesun.com"]customerservices@homesun.com[/EMAIL].

Please us this tag on the subject line of your email: MSE "aspick"

We look forward to your email & Thank you for your interest in HomeSun.

Krish
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of HomeSun. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com "
    This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Wannabedebtfree
    Options
    I applied but was told that my nearly facing south, non shaded roof wasn't good enough for the free one's but if I wanted I could pay for them.......
    In spite of the cost of living, it’s still popular :eek:
  • HomeSun_company_representative
    HomeSun_company_representative Posts: 86 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I applied but was told that my nearly facing south, non shaded roof wasn't good enough for the free one's but if I wanted I could pay for them.......

Hi Wannabedebtfree,

Can you send me your address details to [EMAIL="customerservices@homesun.com"]customerservices@homesun.com[/EMAIL]. I will look in to this for you and get back to you.

Please tag the Subject line of the email as MSE "Wannabedebtfree"

Thanks

Krish
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of HomeSun. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com "
    This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • scanman_2
    Options
    Hello, we have had the Free homesun solar panels fitted on my bunglowaround 3 months ago.
    Fitting the 16 panels and inverter took around six hours.
    There were no problems with the fitting.
    We make use of as much of the free electic during the day as possable, only run the dishwasher then the washing machine one at a time.
    Pictures of the fitting are on my website:
    Search for india-whisky.org.uk

I take daily readings of the meters but I would like to be able to read the power output on the inverter without going into the loft :T

The free system is right for me as at my age if I bought them I would never live long enough to get my money back.

I would have no problem in recommending them to my friends.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 5 July 2011 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Hi Krish,
    Must say I am a little surprised to see you back after a break of 6 months.

Can you recall the exchange of posts last January where you made some outrageous claims of potential savings. – starting with post#1825 in this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=40777246&highlight=#post40777246

You made this offer to zeupater and myself.
    From - #8
    HomeSun company representative

Hi Cardew,
    Would you like to speak to a client who has already has a 2.4 system installed by us? You may ask them all the questions you like regarding the readings of thier meter.

I can also arrange for you to speak to Mr Cotton should you wish.

Please let me know and I will arrange it.
    Krish

Hi zeupater,
    I can also arrange for you to speak to Mr Cotton should you wish.

Please let me know and I can arrange it.
    Krish
    I posted:
    Anyway I would be delighted to accept your offer, please PM me both their phone numbers please.

That was the cue for you to disappear for six months.

No doubt you have read the Energy Saving Trust report that concludes £75 a year is a typical saving?

May we ask if you dispute that figure? If so please give your figure and on what evidence do you base that figure.

How much saving do you feel that your clients, who paid you £500 and are committed to pay £5 a month ‘maintenance charge’ for the next 25 years?, will be making?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport