Great 'Christmas cupboard fillers' Hunt

Great 'Christmas cupboard fillers' Hunt

It's not too early to start planning for Christmas 2011. In fact, the January sales are the cheapest time to buy many Christmas items. So we want to tap experienced Jan-mas bargain-baggers for their best ideas of what to be putting in the Christmas cupboard now to keep December costs down.

View past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I've justbeen to Tesco and stumbled across wrapping paper, tags and bows between 12p-50p. I bought a pack of wrapping stuff(4xpaper, 6bows and ribbon) that was £5 now 75p :D and the best bit? its still on 3 for 2 on selected items!!
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 4:07PM
    This Christmas I used mincemeat and Christmas puddings bought after Christmas last year or possibly the year before, all really cheap, kept fine and a couple of less things to buy this year.
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 4:08PM
    Yep, last year I bought loads of jars of Mr S posh mincemeat reduced to 10p per jar, it doesn't go out of date for about 3 or 4 years I think! I always buy gift wrap/ribbons/cards etc in the sales and put away til next year, good to write a list of what you bought though so you don't get the same again. Reduced toiletries gift sets from Boots, Superdrug etc are good to buy and use in hampers next year, lots of small stocking filler gifts go down to a couple of pounds so worth putting aside. Even good to stock up on things like this to use for birthdays throughout the year as well.
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    This year so far I have got wrapping paper, cards, crackers, lights, baubles and a couple of presents for teenagers. Have also got all the things I need to make the majority of next years with. Always like to buy in the sales as long as it doesn't go off. Got some goose fat for the roasties as well. Will be looking out for the cheap mincemeat as it comes down in price!

Cheapest thing though has to be the christmas cake - didn't even get it out of the freezer!!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • I bought some chocolates and mince pies yesterday to keep for Christmas 2011 as they had a really long best before date. Unfortunately I've already ate 2 of the mince pies!!! But got my pudding, brandy sauce, crackers and biscuits in the sales in Jan 2010 for Christmas past, which was good as money was really tight!
  • I got three packs of christmas cards from asda for 3p each :j
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 4:09PM
    crackers, wrapping paper and christmas puddings - best before date is in 2013! Should be nicely matured by Christmas 2011!

Am off into town today - will continue looking.

I get a lot for my daughters through Boots no 7 vouchers - they're already doing them this year! I think you only have to spend £5 to get a £5 off voucher - so I will be stocking up on bits of makeup
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • dipashah
    dipashah Posts: 419 Forumite
    Argos have a jewellery roll reduced from £9.99 to £1.99

It is available in black or cream

black:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2611497/Trail/searchtext>JEWELLERY+ROLL.htm

available at this price until 21st Jan

cream: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2612960/Trail/searchtext>JEWELLERY+ROLL.htm

available at this price until 11th Jan

Will make great pressie for anytime of yr! Off to collect mine later today!:j
  • xAlisonx
    xAlisonx Posts: 30 Forumite
    Two 10m rolls of wrapping paper for 10p each at Asda :) When I get time I'm going to check out the card shops for nice cheap xmas cards
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Think it was card market or card warehouse brought

10rolls wrapping paper for quid so 10p a roll.
    cards were 50p a pack so got enough for adults and everyone in daughters class next year spent total of 4quid but would love to find some cheap bows, ribbon and foil wrappping paper will keep looking.

cut up this years cards and made tags:D

2years ago brought load of xmas decorations in house of fraser closing down sale in july.
    So half our tree looked nice but the cheap wilko decorations not fared well so pledged to look in sales for new ones.

Bingo-monsoon accessorize have whopping 70percent off their decorations that were 4quid, 3.75 and 3.50 per decoration.
    They quality, quite heavy, handcrafted, some glittert really nice worked out at 1.05, 1,12 and 1.20 per dec brought 15 for about 16quid fullprice would have been 60quid:eek:.
    Thourght hubby be mad but hes surprisingly happy.

whsmith have fab book sale but bit skint now.

got co-op savings card if you save 48pounds and spend in dec they will give you free 2pounds.:D

Havent really had chance to do boots they not seem to have done as much this year.

Will continue to make some hm stuff throughout year so got lots of pressies well thats the plan.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure