July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• just done an aldi shop spent £25.81 and spent about that again ready for august should now only need milk and may be potatoes before pay day i seem to be in my budget still so i am wondering if i missed a recipet somewhere this month??? been such a hectic month and DH went and bought him and the kids a chinese the other night as i had to help out on the pta for there leavers disco.
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Mrs MCAWBER /Nikki thanks for ideas found the tea bread recipe will give it a try later
    Sashanut french onion soup with little rounds of french bread or rolls with grated cheese in oven then pour soup over cheesy bread lovely you need loads of onions for that
    Frugal challenge 2024

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey angelnikki, thought these might make you smile. Heart shaped yummy cheese biscuits. I used the parmesan version this time (20g per 50g SR flour) and also a little mat cheddar (app 30g per 50g SR flour). Made a double batch too, cos they are moreish.
    Also made HM focaccia with basil/garlic topping (Jamie Oliver recipe- let me know if anyone wants it). Its just about to be cooked now, for tea with lidl gnocchi and mozza/tom (came frozen and not tried before so lets hope its edible!). Not spent any money yet today :D
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/2698892088_f1acf85c6b.jpg
    Patentgirl, do you have the French onion soup recipe ? Not enough onions to do it this week but might buy some in for next week when DH home too and we could have that for lunch mmmmmmmmm
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Morning all

Declaring my 6th NSD in a row today :T ...

Hubby is on duty today -so won't be back until the morning.... so im going to use more odds n sods out of the fridge/freezer :j
    1. Lunch is a portion of liver casserole(from the freezer) with some veggies
    2. dinner -im going to cook chunks of the huge courgette i grew, with garlic, onions, mushrooms, peppers, beans and peas (need to fetch them in later) then a dollop of cream cheese and 1 of wholegrain mustard... i really should put pasta under it -but think i might just have it on its own
    I am chuffed to little mintballs that i still have the €61 in my purse that i had on Friday evening.... my purse is sat gathering dust :rotfl: . Hubby gets paid tomorrow so my dilema is if i should just whack all the new housekeeping away into the bank and try and get through next month with just the €61 i have :confused: it does sound a bit "low" for the month -but i do have loads in and IF i can just be good and ignore the whoopsies i really only NEED fruit and a bit of veg...
    I think i will check over my meal plan and double check what i have in and what i should need and decided from there. I guess the money will be in the bank if i get desperate :p
    I know we are off to the NAFFI tomorrow-so hubby can take advantage of the 3 for 2 on whiskey -so i guess "how good i can be" or "how good the whoopsies are" will be the decider ;) well it would be rude to turn my nose up at a bargain wouldn't it :D

I need to make myself a new loaf of super seedy bread today -im down to my last 2".. it has stayed as fresh as when i made it on friday and there is no fat in it :confused: ...very nice it is too..and good for me ;)

think thats about all I have to do today..the rest of the day is going to be taken up x stitching/knitting..ooooh and setting a few more seeds

have a great day everyone....

hi there mrsmac

can I please have the recipe for your super seedy bread,,or is it on the recipe page,,, I put sesame and walnuts in mine just wondered what you put in yours

what seeds are you setting are they winter plants as we need to start putting winter veg in

thanks

Ann
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Hello peeps i wish to declare at £172.51
    as the rest of my shopping this month will come out of our holiday budget..
    and can you please put me down for £200 again in August as I will not be here to do so myself
    thanks
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • KAAT_LADY
    Forumite
    oh yes please....... does patentgirl have an onion soup recipe as DH has been down the field and got some that the farmer did not want but I think they will last a while really,, they are lovely and crisp and white,,,,,,,,,,,,,, gorgeous
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    £147.32 for july:D :D:D

Good luck everyone:T :T :T
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Just fetched over 1lb of various beans out of the garden :T I went out to have a bit of a tidy up and thought i'd see what i could find... i also have some carrots and several bright yellow patty pan-and loads more tiny ones on there too :j .... I will be good and blanch and freeze the beans .... even though im tempted to just steam the lot and have them for my dinner tonight:p ... NO i must make the courgette dish to use up other things first :rolleyes:

KAAT_LADY
    I have just set loads more carrots, salad leaves and pak choi..... have sooo many packets of carrots -so i figured that as i have cleared some tubs out i may as well set them ..still have 4 packets left :o :rotfl:still im sure we can use them :D

The bread i did was a concoction :p Im making a serious effort to eat more wholefoods, seeds, nuts etc and this came out rather well :j I make it by hand and it goes in a 2lb tin .... tomorrow im planning on making baguettes using similar flours/seeds but the baguette method... fingers crossed -mind they are only for me so i will eat them anyway :rotfl: hubby likes his white hm bread :confused:
    Depending on how the baguetes come out i will post the recipe-once i have thought of it ;)

Super seedy bread
    • 300ml warm water
    • 14g fresh yeast
    • 100g wholemeal bread flour
    • 100g sunflower bread flour -it has crushed sunflower seed in but you could add your own to normal bread flour
    • 100g rye bread flour
    • 200g granary flour
    • 2tsp salt
    • then i add poppy, sesame, caraway and linseeds -about 1tbs of each
    I made the loaf on friday and it has sat in a plastic bread box all week and every slice is just as moist as the when it was firt made -which surprised me as i didn't add any oil :confused: I think it must be the crushed sunflower seeds, the oil must be helping
    If you like a lighter bread I would swap some of the flour for some white bread flour, but this didn't come out really dense like they do sometimes:D

Right i really should get my dinner sorted..not that hungry yet but if i leave it much longer i won't bother:rolleyes:
    have a good evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    19942357a4696576316l.jpg

This was him a bit younger,, I dont think he was in Mcgiver

this is Mcgiver26516461_l1.gif

they were both a couple of hunks

This was him a bit younger,, I dont think he was in Mcgiver No he wasn't. He was a real hunk. I fancied him in St Elsewhere.

this is Mcgiver He was also in the Stargate tv series (which was rubbish in comparison to the film)
  • KAAT_LADY
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Afternoon all

Just fetched over 1lb of various beans out of the garden :T I went out to have a bit of a tidy up and thought i'd see what i could find... i also have some carrots and several bright yellow patty pan-and loads more tiny ones on there too :j .... I will be good and blanch and freeze the beans .... even though im tempted to just steam the lot and have them for my dinner tonight:p ... NO i must make the courgette dish to use up other things first :rolleyes:

KAAT_LADY
    I have just set loads more carrots, salad leaves and pak choi..... have sooo many packets of carrots -so i figured that as i have cleared some tubs out i may as well set them ..still have 4 packets left :o :rotfl:still im sure we can use them :D

The bread i did was a concoction :p Im making a serious effort to eat more wholefoods, seeds, nuts etc and this came out rather well :j I make it by hand and it goes in a 2lb tin .... tomorrow im planning on making baguettes using similar flours/seeds but the baguette method... fingers crossed -mind they are only for me so i will eat them anyway :rotfl: hubby likes his white hm bread :confused:
    Depending on how the baguetes come out i will post the recipe-once i have thought of it ;)

Super seedy bread
    • 300ml warm water
    • 14g fresh yeast
    • 100g wholemeal bread flour
    • 100g sunflower bread flour -it has crushed sunflower seed in but you could add your own to normal bread flour
    • 100g rye bread flour
    • 200g granary flour
    • 2tsp salt
    • then i add poppy, sesame, caraway and linseeds -about 1tbs of each
    I made the loaf on friday and it has sat in a plastic bread box all week and every slice is just as moist as the when it was firt made -which surprised me as i didn't add any oil :confused: I think it must be the crushed sunflower seeds, the oil must be helping
    If you like a lighter bread I would swap some of the flour for some white bread flour, but this didn't come out really dense like they do sometimes:D

Right i really should get my dinner sorted..not that hungry yet but if i leave it much longer i won't bother:rolleyes:
    have a good evening all

thanks MRSMCAWBER what do caraway seeds taste like |I dont think I have tried them,, My DH only likes plain white HM bread,, no sense of adventure men have they,,,,,,,,, I cant really do it by hand as I have not much pressure in my arms,,, so will have to do it in the BM

I was wondering how to keep the bread moist,, so you keep it in a plastic bread box ,,, is that air-tight???

we have put in some chinese (is it cabbage or lettuce) I can never remember

we have lots of patty pan in the greenhouse,, I grated the last one into (sorry I forgot) it just seemed to leave me then ,, better have a rest and copy out this recipe,,

thanks again

Ann
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport