PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does wine keep when opened?

Options
I've had a wee look around, but please forgive me if this has been asked before, and also if it is in the wrong place...

Once a bottle of wine has been opened, how long should it still be OK to drink if I stick a stopper thing in it? I keep looking longingly at my collection, then deciding not to have a glass cos it's only me and I only drink one glass a day. I hate the thought of pouring it down the sink if I can't drink it, and there's only so much space in the freezer for ice cube trays of wine for cooking!

On the upside, I am well giggly after 2 glasses so it makes for a cheap night!! ;)

what to do? 47 votes

drink
100% 47 votes
tip
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Winedoctor suggests putting it into smaller bottles is the best idea. If you treated yourself to some of those very small wine bottles and kept them you could refill them with the remains of the large bottle for use later in the week.
    I don't have this problem. My problem is in not emptying an open bottle.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I keep open bottles of white in the fridge for several days and they taste fine, especially the new screwtop types, and I've also got a bottle of red in the kitchen that's probably been open well over a week now, but I'll probably use the rest in cooking rather than drink it now.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Strange concept:confused: not finishing it.

:beer:

equally confused this is not a problem I have and ever will experience:D
  • lovinlife_2
    Options
    :o
    Gone are my heady days of opening a bottle of wine for lunch and spending the rest of the day drinking it!

Still, I could try.. practice makes perfect and all! I'll work on the half a bottle at a time first. There could be some very interesting typos in the pipeline!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    lovinlife wrote:
    :o
    Gone are my heady days of opening a bottle of wine for lunch and spending the rest of the day drinking it!

Still, I could try.. practice makes perfect and all! I'll work on the half a bottle at a time first. There could be some very interesting typos in the pipeline!

if you need any coaching lovinlife come over to Stopping a Thread we can help you get through this!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Once opened, wine doesn't often last very long in my house either. :o I tend to keep it (red or white) for two days at the most and then it gets consigned for cooking.

Pink
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Invest in a "vacuvin" wine stopper. Nor terribly expensive but very usefulll. (You just suck the air out of the bottle with the pump and no O2 means no more oxidation going on).
    The only problem in our house is that it gives an excuse to open a second one rather than stop halfway through the first bottle!!
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got(or can you b.b.b.buy (sorry to use the b-word)) a Vacuvin thing - it's sort of a hollow rubber cork, which you put in the bottle and then pump the air out of the bottle with a sort of...pump thing...!!!! I bet you wish you could describe things as well as me!!! Anyway, me and the old man have one small glass of wine most nights each and stick the rubber cork in the bottle meantime. The wine stays fresh and sweet (as opposed to stale and sour which it would undoubtedly be if it only had a normal cork in it). My uzzer 'alf eez French (well, half-French) and fussy about his wine, so it's worth investing if you can afford it. Here's a picture in case you're wondering what on EARTH I'm talking about! http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001M0G06/qid=1128980227/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_11_2/202-5637427-8497422
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    lovinlife wrote:
    Once a bottle of wine has been opened, how long should it still be OK to drink if I stick a stopper thing in it?

That question was one I always wanted to know the answer to as well, only because my local, (that I rarely visit now ;)), often have the same half empty bottles on display too :confused:

I'll get my OH to ask the landlord what he thinks :D
  • Wirenth
    Wirenth Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Two or three days for white, up to a week and a half for red. You can get these cheap, resusable stoppers from Tesco for helping to keep the wine in the same bottle.
    Good, clean fun.... :D
    MFW #11 2015 £7657 / £8880
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills