PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help No Washing powder left-No Money

Options
Hi hoping someone can help, after a mad weekend catching up on washing i've just put in second to last load and run out of washing powder, i've no money in purse to go to local shop to get any more and really don't want to drive 4 miles to town to get some, hubby could get some tonight on way home from work, but i don't want to wait, so could i use something else in machine, i've got soda crystals, stardrops, washing liquid and fabric softner can i use a combination of these and if so how much so i don't flood the house.:eek:
Many thnaks Miemie

Comments

• bravobeastie
    bravobeastie Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    Free Recipe - How To Make
    - Low Allergy Laundry Powder -
    Measure by volume, not by weight,
    • one part - Bi Carbonate Soda,
    • one part - Washing Soda (the powder form - not the crystal form)
      and
    • one part - pure Soap Flakes, (either Lux, grated Sunlight soap, or your grated home made soap).
    These three ingredients mixed together will get your clothes clean, without the chemicals that are destroying our environment and harming many people at the same time.
  • foreversomeday
    foreversomeday Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    According to the stardrops thread you can use 2 tablespoons in the drawer (assuming your washing machine is standard sized - 6kg) - if you want it to smell nice you can add a couple of drops of essential oils too, or just use the fabric softener as you would usually.
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    I'm being really dim here - what is/are Stardrops?
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i just use a squirt of washing up liquid , even if i do have soap powder i always wash darks with it
  • foreversomeday
    foreversomeday Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    Teria wrote: »
    I'm being really dim here - what is/are Stardrops?

Stardrops is a cleaning product, most of the OS posters are big fans, because it costs about 75p for a bottle slightly bigger than a washing up bottle, you use it diluted or in very small quantities and it cleans almost everything from cars to burnt on food to sofas!

There are a couple of long running threads on it if you use the search function you should be able to find them :) In fact they are the first result in google for "Stardrops" now!
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • miemie
    miemie Posts: 646 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys have used Stardrops and fabric softener, kids going on holiday tomorrow with Grandparents and needed to get last of their things washed, did'nt want to start the first day of my no spend week buying washing powder.Will use stardrops for rest of week and keep myself out of Tesco.
  • redfraggle_2
    Options
    I've used handwash no problem!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm amazed Sunlight Soap makes an appearance!
    I have a couple of bars of this from when I worked for Lever Bros in Port Sunlight - never seen it since! Does anywhere sell this? I've been guarding my few bars viciously!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't recommend using handwash unless it specifically says 'Can use in machine'.

It took four runs through to get rid of all the bubbles from the Stergene and it was all over the floor and everything! I could barely mop it up for laughing.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • bevrob
    bevrob Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stardrops is fantastic. bought it in sainsburys last week and have used it for doing everything, washing dishes, washing clothes, cleaning bathrooms and floors. brilliant and it only costs 75p. tesco value washing powder is £1.44 and i make it stretch by adding soda crystals,30p a bag app. 1 box and a bag lasts me 2 months and i have loads of washing. i always check my kids laundry first to see if it actually needs washing as i suspect it ends up in the dirty wash basket if they cant be bothered to hang them up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport