Parents-Does The Taxman Owe You £1,500? (merged)

Options

Comments

• full-time-mum
    Options
    Any idea how you tell if you have already recieved this. I looked on the website and it gives you a list of phone numbers but none of them seem to relate to where OH pays tax.

edited:
    I've just emailed the ir helpdesk with the same question. Will let you know if I get a response.

OK, I've been passed from pillar to post but finally rang my local tax office and was told that you need to check your Tax Coding Notices for the relevant period and it will be listed there as part of the explanation as to how your tax code was calculated.

just off to search through the paperwork....

update:
    OK, I've found all the PAYE Coding Notices and this is what I found:
    1999-2000 - Personal Allowance and Married Allowance
    2000-2001 - Personal Allowance (only)
    2001-2002 - Personal Allowance and Childrens Tax Credit note: there is also an entry for Childrens Tax credit rest'n

Unfortunately, we've already had this :cry: but it was a nice hope while it lasted.
    Hope this helps others to find out whether or not they may have an outstanding claim.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    OK, I've been passed from pillar to post but finally rang my local tax office and was told that you need to check your Tax Coding Notices for the relevant period and it will be listed there as part of the explanation as to how your tax code was calculated.

just off to search through the paperwork....

update:
    OK, I've found all the PAYE Coding Notices and this is what I found:
    1999-2000 - Personal Allowance and Married Allowance
    2000-2001 - Personal Allowance (only)
    2001-2002 - Personal Allowance and Childrens Tax Credit note: there is also an entry for Childrens Tax credit rest'n

Unfortunately, we've already had this :cry: but it was a nice hope while it lasted.
    Hope this helps others to find out whether or not they may have an outstanding claim.

The chidrens tax credit restriction was placed in your tax code tomake sure you only received 10% tax relief on the childrens tax credit(it was only given at 10%) if you had not had a restriction you would have received tax relief at your highest rate (either 22 or 40%)
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • sured
    sured Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i also have been passed from pillar to post, eventually i got through to my local tax office, you must explain it is tax relief you want to claim and not tax credit, they told me i had to write in and explain my query, the form 11TCT which i think everyone is looking for is obsolete, either that or she couldn't be bothered to look for it, which is more likely,
    "Don't go where the path may lead,
    go where there is no path and leave a trail"
    Anthony Robbins
  • Walnut_whipp
    Options
    I got back £622.98 this morning... I wrote and got them to manually open the form... the form 11 ctc no longer exists this is why you have to write in... i printed off the page from their website to prove that i was entitled.. Took less than a month to get the money...
  • emmaBZ
    emmaBZ Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    im interested but confused.....:confused: how do you figure out if you can get anything back ???
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • rubiales
    rubiales Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    I got back £622.98 this morning... I wrote and got them to manually open the form... the form 11 ctc no longer exists this is why you have to write in... i printed off the page from their website to prove that i was entitled.. Took less than a month to get the money...

This looks very interesting as I can also answer Yes to all the questions. Do you have a link to the page on HMRC website that you printed please?

Presumably if you don't have all your coding notices (I'll bet OH has binned anything over a year or two old!)the Tax Office will have backdated records?

Thanks in advance!
    .·:*¨:starmod: ¨*:·. Rubiales.·:*¨ :starmod: ¨*:·.

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
  • Walnut_whipp
    Options
    See the link in the sixth reply down... You need to contact you local tax office and ask if your tax code was reduced when your child was born... if not then you are entitled to the money back... in effect a tax overpayment... they will include interest on the money they owe you too... you will have to write to them giving them details of you NI number... employer and a copy of childs birth certificate. i also printed off a copy of the HMRC website page explaining all about the CTC for those yrs.

I hope this helps.
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    Realised that I'm in this category.

Walnut whip, what was the page you printed off, and how did they get the form 11ctc?

From other responses, looks like we could do with a bit of help here - Martin??
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    robindunne, what exactly did you say when you rang?

Thanks
  • robindunne1
    Options
    I did this three years ago so can't remember exactly what I did but I'm sure it was a simple phone call. That was closer to the time so I assume they are not as familiar with it anymore.

Just keep calling them until they give you a satisfactory answer.
    Giving up is easy...... just keep on trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure