PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Value Frozen White Fish

Options
Hello All,

Another one of my daft questions I'm afraid:

I was wondering whether anyone buys Value Frozen white Fish?

Dare I say it - I buy several pieces for my cats for about £1.47 at Sainsburys. (as a special treat every now and again) You can tell I don't start paying my mortgage until next month.

I was wondering whether anyone here actually buys it to eat themselves and if so how do they use it ie do they use it as fishcakes, fishfingers, fish pie etc?

I don't mean to offend anyone by implying that is is only good enough for cats. it's just that my mum (who to be honest doesn't really like fish that much) is the least OS person you can imagine and would not entertain eating value food.

{Although I have converted her into buying value beans and chopped tomatoes after a long struggle.I think it may have helped when my dad said that all beans taste the same to him and he really didn't care if he got value beans.}

Any advice greatly welcomed

Comments

• kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    It's not the nicest fish, generally colley/pollock. I sometimes use it mixed with other more expensive and tastier fishes or seafood to make them go further in something like fish pie or soup but personally I wouldn't serve it up plainly.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I bought it once, but wouldnt again, it looked like the scraps that would be left over from a filet of fish, and was really tasteless!!
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.

I must admit although the cats loved it, I didn't really like the look of it. I assumed it was because of the way it was cooked ie boiled for the cats.

Edit: It probably was the way I cooked it
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Have to say, I buy the Tesco ones and they have all been nice fillets, which I have successfully battered and fried
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My boys LOVE it and we had it baked with olive oil and tomatoes.
    Had the left over bit out of the freezer with some noodles - very nice too.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    I've used it in fish pie and it was really nice.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Oh I used it in the fish cooked with bacon from www.hillbillyhousewife.com that was really easy to do - used value bacon as well and a nice meal.
  • carrottopsuk
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    My boys LOVE it and we had it baked with olive oil and tomatoes.
    Had the left over bit out of the freezer with some noodles - very nice too.

That sounds lovely. I may try that with a small piece as I've gots some tomatoes that I've grown in the garden. If i don't like it, the cats can have their fish back ;-)

I'll definately use that recipe from now on.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And herbs if you have any in the garden!
    I love the 'bung it all in a dish' type of cooking. Once did an entire roast dinner, veg and all, in the oven. It would prob. go well with braised celery but I am in a celery eating minority in this house so havent had that dish for years!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've bought the Tesco one and it has been really nice and good sized pieces. I use it for fish pies and fish cakes.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family