MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Imelda give the shoes back?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 30 November 2009 at 10:08AM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Imelda give the shoes back?

Imelda is getting married and ordered shoes from an online designer shop. She receives them a week later, but then receives another identical pair, without being charged for them. Should she contact the shop to make them aware of their mistake or should she flog them off on eBay and keep the extra cash?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If the shoe was on the other foot she would expect a customer to return them to her.

She should do the decent thing and send them back.

• She should definitely send them back, but get the shop's courier returns service to collect it; she shouldn't be out of pocket for their mistake. Also, the online shop may eventually realise their mistake and that wouldn't bode well for future relations with the store. Eg I shop loads at one site and am on very good terms with a couple of the staff members. In return, they don't mind me using discount vouchers for ALL my purchases and call me to update me on things. An who knows, they may reward her honesty with a freebie or a discount.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd feel to worried that Karma would affect the wedding and or marrage! I'd hand them back!

Its also not really worth selling anything on ebay unless your a pro- ebay don't work for the small sellers, they don't help you out if you get ripped off, paypal wont support your claim even if you mailed recorded delivery, in short, your better off not getting stressed out and sending the shoes back to the online store.

But if the store had been nasty or had a history of poor customer service, I'd feel this was karma working in my favor and give the shoes to a friend.
  • hlcarroll
    hlcarroll Posts: 198 Forumite
    I would be scared about karma too, althrough I also LOVE shoes! hmm, I'm not sure, but I think there is a chance I would keep them!
    'Patience is a virtue till we die.
    Then a ripple in the water caught my eye'
    Mrs Jason Orange.
    Getting organized and thrifty for christmas 2010!
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    she can keep them because it was the fault of the shop for sending out 2 pairs. I had a similar occurrence with something else; :whistle: i kept it because it was their fault and not my own.

with the karma thing, what if something bad has already happened to you before and this is the repayment? :confused:
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Is Imelda honest, or not, as that would have a influence on what she may do.
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • I would email the supplier and ask for a courier to collect them. I would definitely give them the chance to have them back. If someone overcharges me I expect a refund but it works both ways. If someone supplies me with more then I tell them and they can have the items back if they wish.

It has actually happened to me twice over the last year and in both cases I have been told to keep the goods, although they were of less value than a pair of designer shoes.
  • tucker61
    tucker61 Posts: 19
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I work for a company where this has recently happened Customers recieved 4 of something instead of 1 and the first we knew about it was when 3 customers advised us of the problem.
    We have not heard anything back from the other 38 customers who bought the same item yet and would of recieved 4.
  • This happened to me years ago, but it wasn't shoes. The company later realised their mistake and contacted me for payment of the second item (a drill set).
    She should send one pair back under the no quibble long distance selling regulations for a refund. If she is later contacted about the second pair she will be no worse off.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • She doesn't actually have to do anything as long as she keeps the shoes in their wrapping for twelve months. If the store don't claim them back within the twelve months they are deemed to be hers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure