Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Yorkshirechick
Yorkshirechick Posts: 369 Forumite
edited 12 May 2009 at 7:11PM in Old style MoneySaving
Does anyone have any ideas what I should take for a weeks holiday in a static caravan?

We will be having some meals out, but want to cook a lot at the caravan, as we're trying to watch the pennies.

We will be taking bread and milk, tea and coffee, and cereal. Any other ideas? We will probably have breakfasts in the caravan, and then quite a few lunch and dinners, but not all.

I don't want all ready meals, but don't want to spend a long time cooking either... :confused:

Will be waiting for your ideas. Thanks x
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Yorkshirechick,

There are lots of ideas that should help on these threads:

weekend in a caravan what to take?

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Pink
  • Im on holiday at the moment in my tourer van. Im on my own without the teenagers so we are being a bit lazy and using jars and convienence food which we wouldn't at home. When we holiday with the kids we usually make out of 500g mince a chili that we take in the slow cooker and plug that in once we get there and it cooks whilst we set up camp. I take Lasange for the next day that I made at home the night before. I take quiche that I have I put in the freezer that I made last month and then fish and chips from the van that comes round. That usually takes care of 4 nights, I take my Remoska and cook toad in the hole night 5 and sausage casserole night 6. Night 7 we would eat out. Hope that all makes sense as I've had half a bottle of wine whilst cooking dinner!!

Happy holidaying x Gin x
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    A whole lot of 7p noodles and cuppa soups - you can add fresh veg to either (even if it's a chopped up tomato and bit of cucumber) and tuna or some other protein, to improve them nutritionally.
  • keys_2
    keys_2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Hi Yorkshire ... If you have plenty of room in a car boot i find you can fill a holdhall with all sorts of useful easy to cook goodies , which i find will save you lots of money than on the campsites . With the added extra that you wont have to bring the items back home with you again .

Here are a few suggestions that will keep for the journey :

• Eggs- scrambled for brekkie / omellets/ fried which you can make egg chips and beans
    • Frozen sausages for the day you arrive or the following day
    • A variety of processed tins peas/ beans/ toms/ carrots etc
    • loaf of frozen bread to keep you going - toast / sandwiches
    • paste jars for sandwich fillers
    • packs of sliced ham / beef/ turkey / gammon/ chicken pieces - which can be warmed in the microwave for a meal with mash and veg or chicken n chips
    • tinned soups /
    • fresh / tinned fruit with tinned cream for desserts
    • Cereal
    • Pasta along with a jar of pasta sauce
    • tuna and sweetcorn tins - tuna pasta bake maybe
    • Bacon rashers
    Items i would buy once i arrived would be potatoes or frozen chips / butter and cooking oil unless you take some in a pot with you . Some boxed sponge cakes etc for desserts and yogurts
    Ebay Bag A Day Challenge 2012- :staradmin
    *£10 a Day Febuary Challenge
    £ 66.23 / £290
    £2 savers#131
    Crazy Clothes Challenge Me £3.99/ £200 Dd £16 /£200

• webitha
    webitha Posts: 4,799 Forumite
    my static has a proper cooker in it (tho the grill pan is quite tiny) so i have done a full roasty in mine
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    If I was on a budget, I would personally take enough for a full English breakfast in the mornings (bacon, baked beans, eggs, mushrooms, sausages, toast, tomatoes). That should last you till the evening with a snack meal (chips, fruit, salad, sandwiches, whatever) during the day, you probably wouldn't feel like too much after that! :D. Then you can decide whether to go out or just have something simple in the evenings, like burgers, chilli, or hotdogs, with yes more (ready prepared) salad.

You are going on holiday, so make things easy on yourself foodwise, and most importantly have a great time!
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Taking a slow cooker is a brilliant idea. The alternative would be to slow cook one or two things at home while you are doing other meals and then freeze in blocks to take with you. You can even freeze cooked rice. Then all you need to do when you get there is bung it in a pan or microwave. I find that blocks of frozen chilli take ages to defrost so you needn't worry about stuff going off. Other than that, I find we need lots of biscuits, fruit and crisps. For some reason, we're hungrier when we're away and it's nice to sink into a chair with a cup of tea and a snack. Plus they make the sandwiches go further.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I use packs of savoury rice - some cooked sausages chopped up and then stirred through those are great :D. Can also do the same with the packs of pasta and sauce.

I'm going away to a caravan for two weeks on Saturday (two more sleeps :j) but as we travel by National Express/CityLink - we can't really take much with us in the way of food. But in my bag there will be half rolls of clingfilm/tin foil/kitchen roll plus a good potato peeling knife (I always find peelers/cooking knives in caravans are rubbish!). I've been collecting packet sugars/small black peppers/sauce packets for ages - those are now in sandwich bags :D.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2009 at 11:32PM
    Cookers in caravans tend to have slow ovens, I personally find, I will never do another roast in one again.

I tend to hit a mid range between cooking and ready meals - so I'll buy a cheap bottle of pasta sauce and cook mince and add the sauce rather than messing around with chopped tomatoes, onions and seasonings. Sausages and oven chips, other stuff picked up on the day, all no effort required cooking and not too much washing up either. Packets of flavoured rice as another poster has mentioned; also fresh ravioli kind of stuff, not expensive, that and some pesto and cheese is a meal fit for a king, takes 5 minutes and again, little washing up. I hate peeling spuds so there's no way I want to be doing that on my hols if possible. If you are going out in a car you can nip into the nearest big supermarket and just pick up that night's dinner. I've given up on taking much actually with us in the car these days as there are not many places where there won't be a Tesco or similar.

I agree with other posters - a really nice brekkie in the morning just means sandwiches for lunch - which can be made and taken with you if going out - and a dinner in the evening, job's a good un!
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Taking a slow cooker is a brilliant idea. The alternative would be to slow cook one or two things at home while you are doing other meals and then freeze in blocks to take with you. You can even freeze cooked rice. Then all you need to do when you get there is bung it in a pan or microwave. I find that blocks of frozen chilli take ages to defrost so you needn't worry about stuff going off. Other than that, I find we need lots of biscuits, fruit and crisps. For some reason, we're hungrier when we're away and it's nice to sink into a chair with a cup of tea and a snack. Plus they make the sandwiches go further.

I forgot about that. I use mine loads, easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure