🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

International and UK CallChecker Discussion Area

Options
articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

The UK & International CallChecker

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

If there is a provider you think should be added to either CallChecker please email callchecker@moneysavingexpert.com with details of at least one destination or call type it is cheapest for and it will be considered.

Comments

• TonyBar
    Options
    :mad: Before you use any of these Simply Dial Providers you should check out the actual cost your telecoms provider will charge you for a 0844 number. I was using Bestminutes until I received my bill. It was then I found out that my telecoms provider, Pipex, charge a 4p connection fee and the 5p per min, which makes the call not as cheap as you are lead to believe. All rates quoted by Bestminutes, and the like, are based on your telecoms provider being BT but if you have swapped to someone else then you MUST check out their rates. I have checked with OFCOM and there is no set parameters for rates to 0844 numbers, its up to the telecoms provider to decide.
    If you are reading this your telecom provider is probably not BT anyway as you will be using some of Martins great ideas. Just be careful with this one.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    TonyBar wrote:
    :mad: Before you use any of these Simply Dial Providers you should check out the actual cost your telecoms provider will charge you for a 0844 number. I was using Bestminutes until I received my bill. It was then I found out that my telecoms provider, Pipex, charge a 4p connection fee and the 5p per min, which makes the call not as cheap as you are lead to believe. All rates quoted by Bestminutes, and the like, are based on your telecoms provider being BT but if you have swapped to someone else then you MUST check out their rates. I have checked with OFCOM and there is no set parameters for rates to 0844 numbers, its up to the telecoms provider to decide.
    If you are reading this your telecom provider is probably not BT anyway as you will be using some of Martins great ideas. Just be careful with this one.

If Pipex do charge a connection charge of 4p and its not a min call charge.All you have to do is use the BT override facility 1280 and place your non geographical calls through BT ,this would be cheaper
  • izatu
    izatu Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    TonyBar wrote:
    :....... I have checked with OFCOM and there is no set parameters for rates to 0844 numbers, its up to the telecoms provider to decide.

Only BT appears to have to comply with the rates for 0844 (up to 5p per min or 5p per call - according to the Numbering Plan). However, OFCOM is promoting greater tariff transparency and is watching how 0844 is used by providers.
  • dave49
    dave49 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Beware of Telestunts .5p to Ireland, Netherlands etc on 0844 200 20 20 - there is no such rate - the cheapest on BT is 5p per call - Do you get TEN minutes! - I do not think so - BT themselves are puzzled - Anyone have any input?
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    dave49 wrote:
    Beware of Telestunts .5p to Ireland, Netherlands etc on 0844 200 20 20 - there is no such rate - the cheapest on BT is 5p per call - Do you get TEN minutes! - I do not think so - BT themselves are puzzled - Anyone have any input?

The tariff of 0.5p a minute is correct.But if the call is a short one BT will apply the min call charge of 5p. Eg a 7 minute call would cost 5p on BT not 3.5p.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    BT prices for 0844 200 xxxx numbers are HERE (they charge g22 rate - ½p per minute including VAT - at all times).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    BT prices for 0844 200 xxxx numbers are HERE (they charge g22 rate - ½p per minute including VAT - at all times).

Eventually Telewest have TODAY 30/03/06 16.30hrsadmitted that their call prices for 0844 200....was set up wrong and was charging 42.5p per minute plus vat (50p) instead of 0.50 (half pence per minute)You may have used this access code to make your calls in the last few weeks/months.
    I strongly advise you to check your telephone bills to see if you have been massively overcharged(100 times)the actual charge.See my other posts
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    Have just got a huge phone bill despite using override operators for all calls except the odd local one. I call South Africa and France a lot and thought the charge was either 2 or 3p per minute to SA (as per the rate advertised on this site and the operators' sites) and 0.5p to France per minute. I am with BT Option 1 and mostly use Dialaround or DiscountDial as per callchecker's cheapest rates. Both are 0844 200 or 0844 462 etc
    Are BT then charging me a connection fee plus 1/2p per minute or more for the duration of the call? I have contacted BT but the person I spoke to says she does not know.

Help, how do I check exactly what I will be charged per call to SA, France or UK etc using override operators on a BT line? I am new back to the UK and don't know the best way to effectively query a BT bill. Presume I must pay it and then argue?

Thanks
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    BT prices for 0844 numbers are HERE. They don't charge 'extras' and neither do they charge a connection fee (although a minimum call charge of 5.5p incl. VAT [it went up from 5p on 1/4/06] always applies).

OTOH, this couldn't be a case of BT making the same charging error as Telewest (charging £0.425/minute excl. VAT instead of 0.425p/minute excl. VAT for those [g22 rate] calls to France) could it?

See THIS THREAD.

Check out the duration of some of your calls to France (I assume you used the 08442009090 number) to see.

As a guide, a very short or failed call (in fact, a call of up to 10 minutes or so) would cost £0.046 (4.6p) excl. VAT (i.e. BT's new minimum call charge), a 20 minute call would cost £0.085 (8.5p) excl. VAT and a 30 minute call would cost £0.1275 (12.75p) excl. VAT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    Am checking with BT as it doesn't seem to add up, however they advise that they charge for rechecking itemised billing

So is it 5.5p per call+ the override operator charge = the total? Or is it 5.5p + override operator charge+ VAT? Or just the override operator charge? Do those include VAT?

Totally confused as usual
    Thanks for any help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills