Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

What's it about?

Whether you’re unemployed now, have been in the past or expect to be in the future, we’d like to tap MoneySavers’ wealth of knowledge to draw up a compendium of good MoneySaving tips for people job hunting.

Do you have a great idea for cutting the cost of travel to and from interviews? Have you found a great free CV help site? Have tips on shaving down the cost of interview clothes?

If you do then click reply below to let other MoneySavers know.

Related Daily Updated Deals Notes:

Shopping vouchers

High St Sales

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When travelling to interviews you can get help with travel but you have to tell the Jobcentre in advance.

Travel to interview scheme.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,234
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Always clarify whether the employer pays interview travel expenses. If not, then as #2 says you can get them paid from the Job Centre, but only if you fill in the appropriate forms beforehand.

I have had two interviews where the employer did not pay expenses. On both of these occasions, I was advised to take a taxi from the station: pure laziness on the part of the employer. For one of these, I found that there was a useful bus service (Traveline.org.uk is good for finding public transport). For the other, the taxi ride was more than ten pounds each way! In fact I wrote and complained politely and they then made an exception and paid my expenses after all.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,234
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Use technology to keep down the costs of communication. I send applications by email rather than posting them: forms are generally available as Word documents if you ask.
  • pjvenner
    pjvenner Posts: 50 Forumite
    Fran wrote: »
    When travelling to interviews you can get help with travel but you have to tell the Jobcentre in advance.

Travel to interview scheme.

If you're unemployed, dependent on public transport and would struggle to meet travel expenses when starting a new job you may also be eligible for a free metrocard [value about £95] for the 1st month when starting a new job that's expected to last more than 5 weeks.

I got one last year. I don't know if there's any additional criteria or if it's a regional offer but it's definitely worth checking out next time you're down the jobcentre.
    Energy prices are rising fast so if you like my comment, thank me quickly so you can shut down your computer sooner..! And if you believe Al gore you'll be doing your bit for the planet :confused:
  • Why not tap into the massive amounts of benefits on offer. Contact Job Centre PLus. If youre claiming Job Seekers Allowance - they pay your traveling to and from interviews. They will even lend money towards a new suit. In my experience if you are genuinelly looking for a job, they will do all they can to help. You are after all entitled to these "benefits" having paid the tax all the time you have been employed.
    You can send off Cv's free at the Job Centre - They will even photo copy them for you. You can contact employers for free there - no need to phone 0845 numbers from home!!
  • Before applying for a job your not sure of try contacting the employer to ask any questions that you have....saves your time and money applying for a job you wouldn't want and their time considering a CV that may not be suitable.

If you are asked to attend an interview do the same, ring them and ask any questions you may have prior to interview. You could even ask if its possible to have a telephone interview prior to the face to face one.
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Need to buy a new suit-best places are place like discount village in Bicester, Swindon etc... as places like Austin Reed do up to 70% off!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • rovinia
    rovinia Posts: 22 Forumite
    If you need a new suit for an interview - you can get a voucher from the Job Centre for up to £100 - restricted to the Burton Group - but better than nothing. This is not a loan.

Trawl the charity shops - I picked up brand new never worn M&S shirts - good quality ones, and a hardly worn Next overcoat for my DH.

I stupidly missed out on JCP paying my interview expenses, assuming the cost would be picked up by the interviewer as the interview was not in my home town. As they were holders of a JCP contract, you would think they would pay - nope, so I was quids down.
  • Do you only get vouchers for suits if you are on certain benefits. I was made redundant in Dec, only entitled to JSA no other benefits as other half works. Would I be entitled to any help for items for interview, transport etc?
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    You can get free NHS eye tests and sometimes discounted glasses if you're claiming JSA
    also i think Free prescriptions and dental treatment?

Also if you need to phone lots of people (about jobs) it may be cheaper to go to the job centre and use their phone to make the calls
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family