Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

Comments

• Energy companies have lower tarriffs for low income earners. If claiming job seekers allownace you may quality. Give your gas and electricity company a call.
    Join a gym and get off peak memebership, its cheaper than peak.
    Review all your direct debits, you may have forgotten about some that are going out.
  • one little known help when on certain benefits was flagged up for me at my local Boots as I collected a prescription. It is the 'minor ailments scheme' whereby you register with your favourite pharmacist, showing proof of JSA (and other?) benefits and next time you have a cold etc. go and have a chat and they can give you free medicines for nasal congestion etc. I haven't had to do it yet but know that very quickly a cold can become expensive - so am glad to be on the list. The assistant told me they were needing to get more people enrolled so guess that take up is low. Anybody tried it?
  • Suzkin
    Suzkin Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    You can get free NHS eye tests and sometimes discounted glasses if you're claiming JSA
    also i think Free prescriptions and dental treatment?

Also if you need to phone lots of people (about jobs) it may be cheaper to go to the job centre and use their phone to make the calls

FREE eyetests, prescriptions etc. only if you are on INCOME BASED JSA (and NOT contribution based).
  • Suzkin
    Suzkin Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Heres a charity Ive read quite a bit about:

Ladies- are you struggling to get the right look for interviews and working?

http://www.dressforsuccess.org/affiliate.aspx?sisid=37&pageid=1

Or ladies: are you having a clear out and want to give good quality interview/ work clothing to charity? please donate if possible.

There are 2 brachnes- one in london - one in Leeds

Good luck to all jobhunters xx

Hi - I've just looked at the London site: anyone know if they accommodate people from outside of London? If not, I'll email them.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Energy companies have lower tarriffs for low income earners. If claiming job seekers allownace you may quality. Give your gas and electricity company a call.
    Join a gym and get off peak memebership, its cheaper than peak.
    Review all your direct debits, you may have forgotten about some that are going out.

But, of course, only if you are not committed to, say, a year on this basis. Otherwise getting a job could result in your not being able to use the facilities for which you are paying.
  • mstmale wrote: »
    Why not tap into the massive amounts of benefits on offer. Contact Job Centre PLus. If youre claiming Job Seekers Allowance - they pay your traveling to and from interviews. They will even lend money towards a new suit. In my experience if you are genuinelly looking for a job, they will do all they can to help. You are after all entitled to these "benefits" having paid the tax all the time you have been employed.
    You can send off Cv's free at the Job Centre - They will even photo copy them for you. You can contact employers for free there - no need to phone 0845 numbers from home!!

Lucky you, my local job centre is so useless that I have lost any hope with them. Not fair as I am seeking JSA for the very first time in my life and in 10 years I have been working and all I get is poor service at my local JCP!!!! Complaint on its way :-)
  • elvy wrote: »
    Lucky you, my local job centre is so useless that I have lost any hope with them. Not fair as I am seeking JSA for the very first time in my life and in 10 years I have been working and all I get is poor service at my local JCP!!!! Complaint on its way :-)

They are all pretty bad. I've worked for 40 years at a pretty high salary (so I've paid an awful lot in tax :mad:). I'm now signing on. The process is dreadful, the jobs on offer are pretty much the worst possible and the staff can't seem to understand that although I want to work getting a job on a building site after 40 years in IT isn't really a viable option. There are some nice people there - but there are also some who think they have a corner on the market in superiority and they treat some claimants like dirt. Don't bother to complain - you won't get any satisfaction.

I'm particularly impressed by the idea of claiming a travel warrant to go to an interview. First I have to phone to make an appointment. But I can't phone directly - I have to phone a totally different place who email the people who deal with warrants. They then make an appointment for me to go in and phone me to tell me when it is. If I'm not in when they phone - tough - no appointment! If I am, and I get an appointment I have to go in to the Jobcentre for a grilling (this costs me about £5 in bus fares). They then issue me with a warrant - after phoning the company I have the interview with, even when I show them a letter from the company arranging the interview. They also phone to make sure I went. As you can imagine - that gives a great impression to a prospective employer.

It means that I can't interview for at least 3 days if I'm asked to attend one because I can't afford the fare to London (About £50) out of a £60.50 per week JSA payment. Which means I've lost a couple of chances of a good, well paying job.

Perhaps the managers who are now out of work during this recession could be retained to make the whole department of W&P work properly - because if it's left as it is they'll never get those 2 million back into work.
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well said PhiltheBear - my husband is unemployed 4th time in 3 years and we couldn't agree with you more. Any questions that he asks of them they don't know the answer and as for helping to re-employ the unemployed I really don't think it is on their agenda. don't mean to be rude, but they are okay they are being paid!! Because I work and most of the household bills are in my name (this being my second marriage) we get no help. Good luck to you I hope you find something soon.
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    i am going for an interview on tuesday no chance of me getting a suit then:confused:

letter says suit/formal
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Pingu are you able to look in the charity shops I have a friend who is extremely lucky as she is 8/10, but you never know what you might pick up. How about a friend who may lend you one? I would if I could!! Anything to help on this site. GOOD LUCK
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport