Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

Comments

• babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    For the travel to interview scheme the JC will only pay expenses if you are travelling over a certain distance. For example, I was given expenses to Chester from the North East, but they will not pay expenses for a local interview.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • tallym
    tallym Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks for clarifying, oldmotherreilly; sorry, didn't mean to criticise. Yes, JSA(C) would have exhausted at 26 weeks, when entitlement to ADF starts, but I'm sure awards have been made in such circumstances. As usual, its the (mis-)application of the rules. I'll check tomorrow. (PS I've sent you a private message).
  • Hope you dont mind me asking but what is a cscs card. Does anyone know if I would get any help towards an ECDL/ITl course with learn direct if claiming JSA. Do not have a college locally that run course.

If you live in Scotland funding is available for these, and other courses, through your Individual Learning Account (ILA) if you earn under £18000 you can get £200 towards a course
  • Hope you dont mind me asking but what is a cscs card. Does anyone know if I would get any help towards an ECDL/ITl course with learn direct if claiming JSA. Do not have a college locally that run course.

CSCS cards are proof that someone has taken a health and safety test for building sites, essential if you want to get a job as a labourer, otherwise you may not be covered by the companies insurance. These were made manditory in Jan 08.

Learn direct will fund ECDL and Clait IT courses if you are on means tested benefit, give the national number a call or speak to someone at your local centre and ask.
  • They are also hoping to role out "skills accounts" across the country, which entitle everyone on benefit to a little pot of money which can be used to pay for or contribute to the fees of any course or training, this means people will no longer be dictated to by the learning skills council on what courses should have government funding for the disadvantaged. I think there is more information on this online.
  • If you have barriers to work (homelessness, substance misuse, criminal convictions etc - these can be issues from your past or current) then you can access the Job Centre project call Progress 2 Work or Progress 2 Work Link Up) then you can access something like the Advisor Discretionary Fund called the Additional Discretionary Fund even if you have been claiming for under 6 months... You may have to register with another provider who is running the project on behalf of the Job Centre, but it's worth it if you can get financial support... It is also worth noting that these funds are most successfully achieved of you can link the money to employment (for example proof of a guarenteed job if you complete this training, 1st months travel to help your transition from benefits to work, etc).
  • As for CV resources... many universities offer a cv checking service in their careers deparment for current employees and graduates (up to a few years after graduating). BUT... if you are a non-grad or many years past uni, still worh a look at their websites for some advice.
  • Phil51
    Phil51 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Home insulation.

If you meet the conditions you can get free Cavity Wall/loft insulation etc. Do it now before you get a new job!!

For example:

Householders with a child under 16, or pregnant women with maternity certificate MAT-B1, in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Job Seekers Allowance (income-based)
    • Pension Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Check here
    Comping 2008 wins £4842 2009 wins £950.50 2010 Wins £140 2011 £0
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    a good CV builder is available on the reed site http://www.reed.co.uk/CareerTools/Default.aspx
    My advice (from having worked in recruitment for just short of 5yrs) is never leave your CV in the format of a template, be that a word template or a cv builder like Reed's use them to make sure you have included everything and get a general framework but then re-jig it - nothing too fancy mind!
    There is nothing worse than looking through CVs and getting them all confused because they all look the same.

and THE single most important thing if you are dyslexic or just have trouble with spellings and grammar don't just rely on your word processor to pick up mistakes get someone who has a good grasp of these things to proof read it for you.

Don't put unnecessary info on your CV either you may be proud that you have been married for x years and have 3 beautiful children called bill, ben and bob but an employer doesn't want to know
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    a good CV builder is available on the reed site http://www.reed.co.uk/CareerTools/Default.aspx
    Don't put unnecessary info on your CV either you may be proud that you have been married for x years and have 3 beautiful children called bill, ben and bob but an employer doesn't want to know
    That is far from "unnecessary" if that is what you have done for some time! It can be transfered into managing skills and organisational skills, reliability, dealing with children, all sorts of positive things. Better than a gap and running a household requires a lot of skills.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport