Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

Comments

• Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    Fran wrote: »
    That is far from "unnecessary" if that is what you have done for some time! It can be transfered into managing skills and organisational skills, reliability, dealing with children, all sorts of positive things. Better than a gap and running a household requires a lot of skills.

obviously explain any gaps in employment just don't put it in your personal details bit when you've got continuous employment
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • I know that most of this thread has concentrated on CVs, interview expenses etc, but one of the perks (drawbacks?) of being out of work is an increased amount of leisure time. My local swimming pool has free swimming if you're unemployed and, of course, you can get a free hot shower!!
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Unfortunately I can't get Job Seekers Allowance as my husband still works & I have just been made redundant. However, when required to go to interviews etc in London I always ask for a later appointment so I can get a one day off peak travelcard. From Chelmsford this saves me over £12 a time.
  • My husband still works and I can get contributions based JSA for 6 months.
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget £350 - Spent £64.45 to date
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you help me - both mine and a colleague's husband are out of work. My husband gets JSA and only that because I work. My colleague's husband gets nothing at all because he receives a pension from the Navy and she works. Not a large pension - it actually equates to less than the minimum wage times 16 hours (think I am right in saying that you can work for a minimum of 16 hours without it affeting your benefits?). Can someone answer is it right that he should not receive anything even JSA? I have been interested to read what benefits you are entitled too - amazing what you learn on this site. Waiting for a reply!!!!!:confused:
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
  • You can - I've had both!!

Trouble is it costs me £4.60 to get to my Jobcentre!

The other big 'saving' is to hang on until you are 60 - your JSA weekly allowance more than doubles!

I'm over 60 and get the straight £60.40 per week. It doesn't go very far...
  • I'm over 60 and get the straight £60.40 per week. It doesn't go very far...

Then something is very wrong. I've just had a letter telling me that I'm due to get an extra £64 from my birthday next month because of 'an age change' (I'll be 60, male, although I think sex is irrelevant :rolleyes:). Basically, you can change from JSA to Pension Credit and you don't have to go and sign on every 2 weeks. Contact your Jobcentre and find out where things are wrong.

And you are right - £60 a week goes nowhere.
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    My husband still works and I can get contributions based JSA for 6 months.
    Me too!

troubrs - have you actually applied for it? I didn't think I would get anything but I think "everyone" is entitled to contribution based JSA
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • KarrieBee
    KarrieBee Posts: 213 Forumite
    I got Contribution based JSA as well even though DH works fulltime. As long as you have worked enough in the past 2 yrs to have paid NI you will receive this.
    Happily only needed to claim for 3 weeks!
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Heres a charity Ive read quite a bit about:

Ladies- are you struggling to get the right look for interviews and working?

http://www.dressforsuccess.org/affiliate.aspx?sisid=37&pageid=1

Or ladies: are you having a clear out and want to give good quality interview/ work clothing to charity? please donate if possible.

There are 2 brachnes- one in london - one in Leeds

Good luck to all jobhunters xx
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills