Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

14567810»

Comments

• adlee
    adlee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Oh Pleeeze! can we get back to money saving...
    Sorry scottishterrier ;)
  • adlee wrote: »
    However, they inform me there is the possibility of arranging a crisis loan even if signing on for less than 6 months - that of course has to be repaid, though only when you are working (and its interest free). Can be arranged by calling 0800 7319091.

Not quite true. Crisis loans have to be paid back out of benefits at approx £7 per week - they don't wait until you have a job.

BTW - in fairness to Job Centre staff - when I signed on today I asked the girl if they were much busier and was told that they now deal with the same number of people in a day as they dealt with in a week a year ago. She also told me that they had no allowance to increase their staff levels - so bang goes the hope of any HR professionals joining :confused:
  • adlee
    adlee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Not quite true. Crisis loans have to be paid back out of benefits at approx £7 per week - they don't wait until you have a job.
    Thanks Phil, thats yet another bit of information they forgot to tell me!
    Poor souls, hit by a tsunami of unemployed - they probably haven't the time of day to tell you everything up front!

I saw the Dispatches programme repeated on More 4 last night... I wish I hadn't. Its not just semi-skilled factory workers being lost to industry, its also higher level scientists and engineers. Gordon Brown spoke so much cobblers last year about the need for more scientists, the reality is almost everybody I know who studied physics, maths and chemistry, even up to 10 years ago, had trouble finding any work with the slightest relevance, unless they went into teaching, where science and maths is so watered down now that they didn't even need a degree to "teach" it anyway. Once you start doing something different, you quickly forget much from those years of training in science, so when they are suddenly needed, its too late. And what money goes into science gets quickly sucked up by the vacuum that is Gordon Brown's (and previously Lady Thatcher's) favoured PFI sector, to large companies which operate largely off-shore, and where building contractors can earn £35-40k whilst the scientists who work in them, having worked hard for 10-15 years in accademia to PhD level, are lucky to earn £25k. Google NPL, Laing PFI - now 9 years behind schedule, the lab still isn't finished properly, and already its subsiding, cracks in the floors, ground floor gravity-defying drains placed "uphill", which led to flooding problems when their cheap plastic pipework burst upstairs. If this thread occasionally veers towards the political, thats because the last 30 years of Government policies have lined us up for this spectacular mess (starting with the privatisation of council housing, generating the cancerous obsession of houses no longer being homes, but "investments"). But it will get better. Just don't vote Labour or Tory.
  • Very constructive, thanks for your comment :T

Glad you approve :j
    As for feeling sorry for people who are wanting to save money..i totally disagree, the consumer can never save enough money as far as im concerned or even get things for free?
    Sure beats being ripped off i suppose ;)
  • "They don't have all the answers all of the time but they are there to help and if treated with mutual respect they should reciprocate likewise.". So, as one of the planks of the service is the "Work Trial" scheme it would be fair for me to expect that someone could explain it to me? After all - that's an answer they should have at their fingertips. But, when I asked how it worked, they couldn't find anyone in the building who could answer me. I sat there for over an hour while they tried to find out the answer to a simple question - "Can I claim travelling and food expenses?" Eventually, they had to give me somene else's name and phone number. It took me about 60 seconds to find out on the net when I got home.

I forgot to mention - when I signed on yesterday, on my way up the stairs, there was a big poster for "Work Trial". There, in pretty large letters, it told me that you could claim travel expenses and a daily meal. Now, how is it that not one person employed in the Jobcentre could tell me that previously?
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I sign on for JSA for both hubby andI - joint claim. I was told that I can get help with interviews but not him! How is this ideal? Surely we should get the same benefits!

Anyone know what qualifies me for a crisis loan? Benefits went in but what with overdraft and bills I could not get to it quick enough. I will try to get it into another account for nxt week, but I have no food for the next week.
  • Work Trials are where an employer can take you on for up to three weeks-you still get your benefits and as you say Philthebear, you get a meal allowance of up to £3 and your travelling expenses reimbursed. This does not have to be a job that is advertised in the Jobcentres-it can be be any job that you feel that this may give you a better chance of eventually securing the job. The Jobcentre will have leaflets that you can include in all your applications, even speculative ones, with contact details for the Jobcentre. All the employer has to do is complete a health and safety form before you start with them and there HAS to be a job at the end of the trial period. You also have to be over 25 and out of work for six months plus before you can access this. An exception is made for 18-24 year olds who are on New Deal in a lot of districts though.
  • k1mmie wrote: »
    Anyone know what qualifies me for a crisis loan? Benefits went in but what with overdraft and bills I could not get to it quick enough. I will try to get it into another account for nxt week, but I have no food for the next week.

Phone up and ask. They'll take details and phone you back. Usually within the day. Then you'll have to go and collect a giro from your Jobcentre - don't forget to take ID or they won't give it to you. And they have specific times for collecting payments.

I had the problem when I first claimed that they'd 'lost' my application and didn't pay me for about 3 weeks. I had proof of the application (which threw them) and I got a loan because I had no money - due to them. Don't go over the top. If you need to cover 2 weeks food then explain your circumstances and tell them how much you need. Obviously you won't get more than 2 weeks JSA payments but you might get £100. Don't forget that they will take it back out of future payments to you.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport