Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

Comments

• Thanks Billie, My husband can't claim contributions based JSA becasue he has none for the last three years when he was at Uni. He can't claim income based because I am self employed and earn money even though it was only about 5K last year. WE've had to settle for Working Tax credit based on my low income but he's pretty miffed, like others, that he paid NI as an employee for 20 years and as an employer for 10 years and now can claim nothing because only the last threee years count.
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It seems to me that you have to know the system to get anything. Honest hard working people don't count. Good luck to you both though and chin up because things can only get better can't they!!!! Had one bit of good luck this month as DS found a job which he is loving.:j
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
  • To all you recently, or long term unemployed, there are actually loads of jobs out there but you have to go look for them and by look I don't mean just on the JCP database which is sadly very limited. OK you may have been on mega bucks and perhaps have to lower your expectations or continue in the back biting rat race along with the rest of the lemmings but that's your choice. For the majority of genuine jobseekers, the opportunities are there but be flexible to succeed. As for Jobcentre staff, as in all employment or pension related businesses or in private industry, there are good and bad, helpful and unhelpful. However, it takes a special person to sit and listen to the misery, sob stories and outright lies that fall upon their ears day after day, every day and for which they are actually paid not much more than minimum wages themselves. Jobcentre staff do not make the rules. They do not make the decsions regarding if and when you get paid any benefits. All they do is apply the rules or at least try to, and push the buttons. Given the time allowed for each signing on appointment - sometimes as little as FIVE MINUTES - they will also try to find something reasonable in the employment or training field on the JCP limited resource. They do their best to help provided that the claimants keep to their side of any job seeking agreement agreement without having to be constantly reminded of the requirements regarding puntual attendances and doing their own job searching.
    So bear in mind if you are unfortunate to be joining the band of merry claimants, JCP staff are not robots. They are human and as such make mistakes. They don't have all the answers all of the time but they are there to help and if treated with mutual respect they should reciprocate likewise.
    HOWEVER the benefit is called JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE not STAY IN BED ALLOWANCE or SITTING ON THE SOFA ALLOWANCE.
    So to anyone claiming for the first time, good luck in finding a new job very soon and to those of you who read this and have been signing on for months or even years...stop repeating parrot fashion the steps taken to find work when you know that it's not true and some if not all of your scribble is totally ficticious. It's only a matter of time until the honey pot dries up and the free money runs out for you so why not try something new like genuine job seeking? Give the folk who really do want to work, and the JCP staff who regularly have to absorb your negative lack of productivity some relief from having to waste their time by sharing the office space with you.
    Gov Bless You All
  • To all you recently, or long term unemployed, there are actually loads of jobs out there but you have to go look for them and by look I don't mean just on the JCP database which is sadly very limited. OK you may have been on mega bucks and perhaps have to lower your expectations or continue in the back biting rat race along with the rest of the lemmings but that's your choice. For the majority of genuine jobseekers, the opportunities are there but be flexible to succeed. As for Jobcentre staff, as in all employment or pension related businesses or in private industry, there are good and bad, helpful and unhelpful. However, it takes a special person to sit and listen to the misery, sob stories and outright lies that fall upon their ears day after day, every day and for which they are actually paid not much more than minimum wages themselves. Jobcentre staff do not make the rules. They do not make the decsions regarding if and when you get paid any benefits. All they do is apply the rules or at least try to, and push the buttons. Given the time allowed for each signing on appointment - sometimes as little as FIVE MINUTES - they will also try to find something reasonable in the employment or training field on the JCP limited resource. They do their best to help provided that the claimants keep to their side of any job seeking agreement agreement without having to be constantly reminded of the requirements regarding puntual attendances and doing their own job searching.
    So bear in mind if you are unfortunate to be joining the band of merry claimants, JCP staff are not robots. They are human and as such make mistakes. They don't have all the answers all of the time but they are there to help and if treated with mutual respect they should reciprocate likewise.
    HOWEVER the benefit is called JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE not STAY IN BED ALLOWANCE or SITTING ON THE SOFA ALLOWANCE.
    So to anyone claiming for the first time, good luck in finding a new job very soon and to those of you who read this and have been signing on for months or even years...stop repeating parrot fashion the steps taken to find work when you know that it's not true and some if not all of your scribble is totally ficticious. It's only a matter of time until the honey pot dries up and the free money runs out for you so why not try something new like genuine job seeking? Give the folk who really do want to work, and the JCP staff who regularly have to absorb your negative lack of productivity some relief from having to waste their time by sharing the office space with you.
    Gov Bless You All

The words of someone who has obviously never sat on the wrong side of the table. It's the sort of stupid attitude I'd expect from a Jobcentre employee (which I assume thr writer is) because, as you pointed out, they are pretty much on minimum wage i.e. too dumb to get anything better.

"Jobcentre staff .... do not make the decsions regarding if and when you get paid any benefits." Actually, they do. If they decide you haven't kept to your side of the agreement they can stop your benefits. Period.

Let's be quite clear. It's called Jobseeker's Allowance but what does it really cover? It's £60.50 per week. Try living on that. Food, clothes, heating/lighting, travel, telephone, postage, newspapers.. Yes, you need all those when you are job hunting. Plus, as the Jobcentre told me, you need internet access because for almost all public sector jobs you HAVE to apply on the net. Please, show me a budget to afford all that on £60.50 a week. Oh, and I paid enough tax in the average year to fund at least 10 jobseekers so I think it's not unreasonable for me to claim some of it back. It's not 'free money'. And it's not a honey pot - it's less than poverty level subsistence.

The reality - my Jobcentre has provided me with TWO - yes, TWO - possible jobs in over a year! Both were as receptionists. In one case the contact was a mobile telephone number that a) never answered and b) the voicemail was full so I couldn't leave a message. The other, the person was never in when I called (twice daily, at different times, for 2 weeks). Fantastic service. Really put themselves out.

In my own field I've applied for over 100 jobs per week - every week. I've been shortlisted and I've been interviewed. Sadly, I haven't been successful - but it isn't lack of trying.

Here's another FACT - there are 5 unemployed people for every vacant job. So let's stop the political crap about there being "loads of jobs". It's a myth. Perhaps you haven't read the papers recently. Thousands of people are being made redundant all over the country. Where are all the thousands of jobs suddenly appearing from for those people to go into?

Yes, there are some jobs. Most of those jobs are minimum wage jobs such as shop workers or carers. Unfortunately, I've got a minor disability which stops me applying for such jobs - there's nothing wrong with them but if I did them then I'd be in hospital fairly quickly. So it's a bit pointless me applying for them - and if I did you can be assured that I'd still be looking to move out of that position into a job that I've got the experience for.

I've looked outside my 'normal' work for lesser paid work. What do I find? Employers tell me I'm 'over-qualified' or they want previous experience (what previous experience do you need to be a receptionist?) My local paper carries a jobs section every week. The jobs fall into 2 categories - ones that need special qualifications e.g. nurses or jobs which are mainly part-time at minimum wage. I can't apply for the first type and if I took one of the others by the time I'd been taxed and spent money travelling I'd be worse off than claiming JSA - plus I'd not have as much time to try and find a decent job.

"They do their best to help provided that the claimants keep to their side of any job seeking agreement". My Jobcentre tells me that they have never seen anyone else produce as much detailed evidence of jobseeking as I have - and I far exceed their requirements of applying for 4 jobs every fortnight. But, they also tell me that they have 'targets' and it's their mandate to force me into any work - suitable or not.

"They don't have all the answers all of the time but they are there to help and if treated with mutual respect they should reciprocate likewise.". So, as one of the planks of the service is the "Work Trial" scheme it would be fair for me to expect that someone could explain it to me? After all - that's an answer they should have at their fingertips. But, when I asked how it worked, they couldn't find anyone in the building who could answer me. I sat there for over an hour while they tried to find out the answer to a simple question - "Can I claim travelling and food expenses?" Eventually, they had to give me somene else's name and phone number. It took me about 60 seconds to find out on the net when I got home.

Helpful? Hopeless. And, yes, I think they do a soul-destroying job. But I also think that the girl who sat chewing gum while talking to me or the bloke who kept me waiting 20 minutes while he chatted to his co-worker about football (loudly, so everyone in the place could hear) is guilty of a total lack of respect for me as an individual. It's bad enough being unemployed and having to go along for the fortnightly inquisition without being looked down on by some moron who thinks he's superior to you simply because he's employed in a Jobcentre.

It's my wish that everyone who works in a Jobcentre should be made to claim JSA for 3 months before getting the job. Then they'd know what it's like - and they'd stop being supercilious to the people that do have to claim.

I think as more and more people become unemployed the more the Jobcentres are going to find that they are dealing with a lot of genuine people who want to find work and who aren't going to stand for the sort of attitude that "notjustanyjobcentre" represents. Maybe then some of the Jobcentre staff will be experiencing unemployment themselves.
  • Why people set out to turn a positive thread into a negative one is beyond me!:confused:
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    I thought the point of this thread was to help us jobseekers save money. Not rant about the job centre. If you don't like the job centre or the people there don't sign on and fend for yourself.

I appreciate the little money I get, and although I don't get anything out of my fortnightly signing days I appreciate that help is available.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • babs2008 wrote: »
    I thought the point of this thread was to help us jobseekers save money. Not rant about the job centre. If you don't like the job centre or the people there don't sign on and fend for yourself.

I appreciate the little money I get, and although I don't get anything out of my fortnightly signing days I appreciate that help is available.

Agreed. And I'm sorry that I got carried away. But I get very upset with people who assume that all people who are trying to find work and have to live on JSA are work shy scroungers.
  • maximise
    maximise Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PM1 wrote: »
    When I was made redundant 7 ish years ago, my (Dietitian) wife converted us to Porridge (Tesco Value) for breakfast, I cycled into the local town every day to look at the newspapers in the library, and eventually found my current job in the local paper, not the nationals.

I lost about a stone and a half, and still have porridge for breakfast.

PM

:T

Walking or cylcing is great. The library is a very useful place to while away some time. More positives:
    More time to improve your surroundings tidy up, organise your belongings, do the gardening, learn a musical instrument, (learn how to) service your vehicle.

... oh and

Visit MSE
  • adlee
    adlee Posts: 29 Forumite
    rovinia wrote: »
    If you need a new suit for an interview - you can get a voucher from the Job Centre for up to £100 - restricted to the Burton Group - but better than nothing. This is not a loan.

Hi, Does anyone know if the above from rovinia is correct, and where to find information about this? I've looked all over jobcentreplus and direct.gov websites, but can't find any mention of this - they only seem to mention payment of travel expenses. Of course, I'll ring JCP tomorrow, but knowing how incompetent some of them can be, I'd rather be armed with facts from their official documentation, if you know what I mean...

Thanks in advance
  • adlee
    adlee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Agreed. And I'm sorry that I got carried away. But I get very upset with people who assume that all people who are trying to find work and have to live on JSA are work shy scroungers.

I think you were perfectly entitled to rant PhiltheBear - "notjustanyjobcentre" is somewhat ignorant of reality. As you say, the facts speak for themselves, approx 400,000 jobs in the system, approx 2 million unemployed... and when they can, employers take on cheaper foreign labour, a double edged-sword due to the creation of competition/increased demand in the housing sector. When I go to JCP, I sometimes see the stereotypical scrounger smelling of cigarettes and beer, but mostly, I see people who have worked hard most of their lives, and through no fault of their own, find themselves without a job, and attend every little thing they can (CV and interview clinics etc) to try and boost their chances of obtaining employment, and attempt to restore some sense of dignity and order in their lives. Some say work is what defines you, so to the person hiding under the sobriequet of "notjustanyjobcentre", please don't waste your time posting such nonsense - a life on the dole is already condemned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure