Great MoneySaving while Job Hunting Hunt

Comments

• BILLIE wrote: »
    Well said PhiltheBear - my husband is unemployed 4th time in 3 years and we couldn't agree with you more. Any questions that he asks of them they don't know the answer and as for helping to re-employ the unemployed I really don't think it is on their agenda. don't mean to be rude, but they are okay they are being paid!! Because I work and most of the household bills are in my name (this being my second marriage) we get no help. Good luck to you I hope you find something soon.

Thanks - I hope so too. You are right about them not having a clue. They referred me to a charity next door to the Jobcentre who could 'help me in my efforts to find work'. It was a sort of compulsory suggestion! I contacted them, told them what I was doing and the person I spoke to told me I knew more about job-hunting than them! Luckily (?) I'm nearly 60 and will be moving on to Pension Credit - which means I get twice the money and I don't have to deal with the idiots any more. Only a month to go :j It won't stop me looking for a job but it will mean I don't have to go miles every fortnight to be talked down to.
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Think the people on the site know more than those at the Job Centre - perhaps we should all club together and start a campaign!!
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
  • I am now unemployed for the second time in my life.

I worked 1977-2001 in IT and was then made redundant. I tried to find another permanent IT job but I did not have a degree as I left school at 16, when the older amongst you will remember people with A levels were unable to find employment because they were over qualified. I often found the person with a degree and zero experience got the jobs.

I started study with OU with the intention of getting a psychology degree (of interest because I am in the 25% of the population who has mental health problems i.e. I suffer from depression). I was also doing part time jobs on Minimum wage.

I then decided to do a full time Radiotherapy degree which I passed in 2008, and got a 6 month temporary contract "which would be likely to be extended" which required a 175 mile relocation. Contract expired on 31.12.08 and not renewed.

I registered for JSA(C) but am ineligible due to the fact that I paid insufficient NI contributions (i.e. none) during 2006 or 2007. The fact that I was on a 45 week/pa full time degree course is of course entirely irrelevant as are the NIC's paid during my 26 odd years of employment. Am ineligible for income based JSA because of savings - should have spent more on riotous living instead of being responsible and prudent.

I do get payments through the TIS but as previous posters have pointed out this is fun (1) to claim. There is no information on how allowance is calculated, other than the cheapest method should be used. For one interview I had a 300 mile each way return trip to a 1600 interview, so stayed overnight. I checked the rail fare (approx £145) so drove (15 gallons of petrol cheaper) as I fortunately have a car (I appreciate many of you do not). So much for the government encouraging us to care for the environment. Incidentally I have been told the max cost of accommodation reclaimable is "about £30". Fortunately the employer is paying expenses for this one.

Regarding JS+ "efficiency", whenever I have tried to phone our local one it entails 30-60 minutes sitting by the phone, risking chronic RSI with the redial button. I have an interview next week and needed to notify them re TIS, so rang this morning. When I eventually got to speak to someone I was told I needed to go in and get a form. I told them that I had previously been told I needed to make an appointment to fill in a form, was asked to hold and lo and behold person came back to make me an appointment. Fortunately this is actually on my signing on day so I do not need to make two trips and can therefore to job search related PRODUCTIVE stuff.

Beware if you commit the cardinal sin of agreeing to attend an interview which means you are unable to make your signing on appointment. You then have to ring in get given the 3rd degree and then have to attend an appointment to fill in a form explaining why you were unable to attend to sign on. One of the questions "Did you try and rearrange the interview so that you could still sign on?" or words to that effect. Can you imagine how that would go down with the prospective employer!!!!!!!! In any case the preceding two days were occupied travelling to 600 mile round trip interview mentioned above.

OK rant over, back to application forms etc.
  • If you can't claim JSA why do you have to sign on?
    My husband is in the same position after completing a full time degree course. He still can't find a job and most of our savings have been depleted but we can't find anything he can claim.
  • BILLIE
    BILLIE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JRC116 your husband has to sign on so that his NI contributions continue to be paid. But why can't he claim JSA? My understanding is that you only can't claim if you have an income of some description. A colleague's husband can't because he gets a Navy pension albeit small, but my husband who has a railway pension can. I think your husband should just persist. Must admist that JSA is pitiful and an insult to grown adults. Good luck in your quest to both make a claim and for him to find work.
    :j I belong to Mike's Mob :j
  • I am now unemployed for the second time in my life.

I worked 1977-2001 in IT and was then made redundant. I tried to find another permanent IT job but I did not have a degree as I left school at 16, when the older amongst you will remember people with A levels were unable to find employment because they were over qualified. I often found the person with a degree and zero experience got the jobs.

I started study with OU with the intention of getting a psychology degree (of interest because I am in the 25% of the population who has mental health problems i.e. I suffer from depression). I was also doing part time jobs on Minimum wage.

I then decided to do a full time Radiotherapy degree which I passed in 2008, and got a 6 month temporary contract "which would be likely to be extended" which required a 175 mile relocation. Contract expired on 31.12.08 and not renewed.

I registered for JSA(C) but am ineligible due to the fact that I paid insufficient NI contributions (i.e. none) during 2006 or 2007. The fact that I was on a 45 week/pa full time degree course is of course entirely irrelevant as are the NIC's paid during my 26 odd years of employment. Am ineligible for income based JSA because of savings - should have spent more on riotous living instead of being responsible and prudent.

I do get payments through the TIS but as previous posters have pointed out this is fun (1) to claim. There is no information on how allowance is calculated, other than the cheapest method should be used. For one interview I had a 300 mile each way return trip to a 1600 interview, so stayed overnight. I checked the rail fare (approx £145) so drove (15 gallons of petrol cheaper) as I fortunately have a car (I appreciate many of you do not). So much for the government encouraging us to care for the environment. Incidentally I have been told the max cost of accommodation reclaimable is "about £30". Fortunately the employer is paying expenses for this one.

Regarding JS+ "efficiency", whenever I have tried to phone our local one it entails 30-60 minutes sitting by the phone, risking chronic RSI with the redial button. I have an interview next week and needed to notify them re TIS, so rang this morning. When I eventually got to speak to someone I was told I needed to go in and get a form. I told them that I had previously been told I needed to make an appointment to fill in a form, was asked to hold and lo and behold person came back to make me an appointment. Fortunately this is actually on my signing on day so I do not need to make two trips and can therefore to job search related PRODUCTIVE stuff.

Beware if you commit the cardinal sin of agreeing to attend an interview which means you are unable to make your signing on appointment. You then have to ring in get given the 3rd degree and then have to attend an appointment to fill in a form explaining why you were unable to attend to sign on. One of the questions "Did you try and rearrange the interview so that you could still sign on?" or words to that effect. Can you imagine how that would go down with the prospective employer!!!!!!!! In any case the preceding two days were occupied travelling to 600 mile round trip interview mentioned above.

OK rant over, back to application forms etc.

Thought this was your CV!!!!!!! Lmao
    This is not the beginning of the end;
    This is the end of the beginning......
  • Really, no one tells you this, does anyone know best place I can look/contact to see what I am entitled to.

I believe there is a website called 'entitled to' which can help with this - good luck
    This is not the beginning of the end;
    This is the end of the beginning......
  • A flask of coffee, a packed lunch and a good book, along with a small antipersrant deodorant, comb, a small shoe shine - these can all fit in a reasonably sized handbag/briefcase/ courier bag and ensure that one is clean and tidy, not sweaty with nerves!, shoes shiny and no tummy rumbles. A good impression counts.

No offence meant by any of the above, it's all obvious stuff but sometimes in the nervousness and hurry of getting and attending an interview it can be easy to forget the obvious stuff!

Oh, and put your interview outfit ready the night before, having checked it's clean and crumple free.

Voice of experience here, having done all the wrong things at various times ...:rolleyes: and thus spent an awful lot of money buying lunch/deodorant [very nervous!]/new blouse, shoe polish etc to replace marked/not v clean items, discovered on train to interview.
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Suzkin wrote: »
    FREE eyetests, prescriptions etc. only if you are on INCOME BASED JSA (and NOT contribution based).

Yes that's true if you're talking about the automatic free prescription policy for people on benefits. Anyone with a low income and less than £8000 savings, from the unemployed to students and pensioners, can get them by filling in an HC1 form, which you can get from your local dentist, hospital, or online (http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/2123.aspx). The PPA then sends you either an HC2 certificate for full help or an HC3 for partial help, so there's no need to pay dentistry fees, prescription charges, eye test fees, or even for wigs.
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    When I was made redundant 7 ish years ago, my (Dietitian) wife converted us to Porridge (Tesco Value) for breakfast, I cycled into the local town every day to look at the newspapers in the library, and eventually found my current job in the local paper, not the nationals.

I lost about a stone and a half, and still have porridge for breakfast.

PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport