Can you claim Children's Tax Credit from 2002/3?

Options
What is this all about?

If you have children born between 6th April 1986 and 5th April 2003 you may be eligible to reclaim £529, or even £1,048, back from the tax office.

Between Apr 2001 and Mar 2003 working parents were entitled to an additional tax allowance called the Child Tax Allowance for one child per family under the age of 16. The allowance was given to parents automatically, rather than needing to apply for it, so MOST people should have received it at the time.

If you're one of the rare few who didn’t, there’s now a few days left to get your claim in, as the deadline is 31 Jan 2009.

Who is eligible?

The standard allowance was £529, and up to £1,048 if your child was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003.

You may be eligible to claim the relief for 2002-03 if all of the following conditions apply:
  • your child was born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
  • the child lived with you for all or part of 2002-03
  • you worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002-03
  • You earned over £6,000 in the 2002/2003 tax year
The allowance was usually given to the highest earning parent but the amount was reduced for higher rate tax payers (those earning £34,615 at the time). You may still be eligible if you were a higher rate tax payer though, depending on your income.

How to claim

Complete the form on the Tax Office website and send it to your local tax office before 31 Jan 09. If you need to find your local office use the tax office locator, although it is not always the one closest to your home or work.

If you had more than one child under 16 during these dates you can only claim once but it's usually best to claim for the youngest.

This is quite easy to do for yourself, you do not need to have another organisation help with your claim. Some companies are charging over £100 to do the claim for you, when you can do it for free!

I don't know if I got the allowance?

If you're not sure whether you've claimed the relief or not, complete the form and send it back anyway. The Tax Office has asked that people don’t ring in to check as this could cause a delay.

A quick way to check whether you've already had the allowance is dig out your P60 from April 2003 (or any payslip from 2002/03). If your final tax code (PAYE code) ended in a "H" or a "T", you have already had the allowance. The usual code was 702H but anything over 600 could already have had the allowance.

What else should you know?

Although the allowance was introduced in 2001, claims for the financial year 2001/2 are no longer possible.

If you already received the tax relief in 2002 you won’t be eligible for anything now.

Details on the allowance are available on the HMRC website.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• hect63
    hect63 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    hi MSE Wendy,
    in your post it states april 1985,did you mean april 1986.
    cheers hect63
  • thomas0735
    Options
    We phoned up and my husband hasn't had it but we never got the form they said they posted so I downloaded the form from https://www.hmrc.gov.uk (search for 11ctc or ctc11 can't remember which way around) and then sent it to his local tax office. However when we phoned to see what was happening as we posted the form at Christmas we were told it could take up to April before it was all sorted out due to the amount of people who were claiming,
  • boxingboy
    Options
    Make sure you get the claim form from www.hmrc.gov.uk as there is a form on taxcredits.co.uk that claim it back on your behalf but take £94 from it for "helping you"!!
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What happened after March 2003 because my tax code changed back from H to L? Was there any more money for the next year?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    That was when the current Child Tax Credits came in so, no.
  • Siemo
    Siemo Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can someone confirm if it's april 1985 or 1986? Thanks!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
  • denisiw
    denisiw Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi.

Click the HMRC button on the original post.

This is copied from it:

You may be eligible to claim the relief for 2002-03 if the following conditions apply:
    • you had a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
    • the child lived with you for all or part of 2002-03
    • you worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002-03
    Denis
  • Siemo
    Siemo Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have downloaded the form from the link,but while the cursor is showing,when i press the keyboard,nothing is happening??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure