PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I freeze cream?

Options
I freeze milk sucessfully, but can I freeze cream?

And what else can I freeze that's not obvious?

I'm single so I find stuff goes off before I can use it, so if I can freeze things like cream, cheese etc then I can portion it up when I get home and use it as I need it, without waste.

I'm thinking storecupboard/fridge type tihngs that would otherwise go off...

Also, what about eggs? I never get through a box of six before they go baaad. I'm guessing it's a no, though. Would they explode??
:cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
:heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    skintchick wrote:
    I freeze milk sucessfully, but can I freeze cream?

And what else can I freeze that's not obvious?

I'm single so I find stuff goes off before I can use it, so if I can freeze things like cream, cheese etc then I can portion it up when I get home and use it as I need it, without waste.

I'm thinking storecupboard/fridge type tihngs that would otherwise go off...

Also, what about eggs? I never get through a box of six before they go baaad. I'm guessing it's a no, though. Would they explode??

There are all sorts of items in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky listed under freezing - and cream and eggs are both in there to read about.

Eggs I normally keep in the fridge for a good while - but when freezing I crack them into a container. Cheese is often best frozen grated, people have said, and some can go quite crumbly after thawing. There's a thread about the place somewhere and I'll see if I can find it and edit back in here.

Edit:-

freeze cheese
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=74468

store cheese
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=50555

freeze eggs
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=3098

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    skintchick - you can successfully freeze whipped cream although it should be sweetened first. It will then keep for up to months.

Unwhipped cream does not freeze well - it separates into water and buttermilk type stuff.

Remember that cream will pick up other flavours even in the freezer so be careful what you freeze it next to.

HTH
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just remembered - Nigella freezes eggs, although she usually has them separated because they are whites or yolks left over from another recipe. Just crack them into a placcy bag and freeze away :D
  • megasaver
    Options
    Hello everyone, haven't been on here for ages and I have got a lot of catching up/reading to do. Anyway I hope you don't mind but I need some advice. Today got three huge pots of double cream reduced to 10p each. Was just putting them in the freezer when I read on the back of one of them that "must be whipped to freeze" is this correct :confused: ....never done it before and any help or advice would be great

thanks

Mega xx
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds right to me, and my memory of various posts all say the same thing.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi megasaver,

I buy double cream when it's reduced and freeze it quite often. I'm not quite sure why it needs to be whipped, but I do it and when I defrost it it's the consistency of ordinary double cream and can be used in the normal way. So go for it. :)

Pink
  • pabenny
    Options
    After you've whipped the cream, freeze it in icecube trays and then transfer into bags. That way you can easily use small quantities for sauces or whatever and yoou don't need to allow for thawing.
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Or pipe it or spoon it into blobs/ rosettes, open freeze and then stick in abag when frozen. That's what I do
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • tryingtobegood
    Options
    I have a third of a tub of single cream leftover from last night's dinner. Normally I would try and use this up but as I'm "supposed" to be trying to lose weight we only have puddings on a Sunday.
    I am sure that I've heard TV chefs suggesting that leftover cream (and wine ;) )could be frozen in ice-cube trays and used later to add to sauces etc but the carton says Do Not Freeze :confused:
    Has anyone ever done this?
    Must learn not to count chickens before they are hatched!!!!:D

Every day is a new challenge not a new problem!:p

SW start 08/01/14 4/21lbs (1st target) :j
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport