PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can I freeze cream?

Comments

• clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ok folks, have i messed up? I brought 2 lots of double cream when it was reduced to silly money in the shops (after christmas) and froze it (along with some mince pies).

I defrosted it yesterday, and its still tastes like there is bits in it? (even after a good old stir around) Am i doing something wrong?-please use your wisdom to enlighten me!!!
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Ah, really and truly you would have been better off giving it a light whisking *before* you froze it! Your lumps are bits of fat from the cream where they have separated.

You might try whisking it up to whipped cream?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Yeah, you have to beat it till it is thick. Then put dollops of whipped cream onto a baking sheet. When it is frozen hard, transfer to a poly bag and use it as required.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow Thanks for that - I had no idea you could freeze whipped cream !
  • clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    thanks guys, i'll know for next year!!!
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • lizzylou
    lizzylou Posts: 37 Forumite
    hi all,
    just wondering if you can freeze doudle cream as i have 1 pint nearing use by date. Thanks lizzylou.
  • Claire70_2
    Claire70_2 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Hi there

Did a quick search .. just popping out ...

Post 29 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=7353777

Claire
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, the supermarket tubs usually have the 'suitable for freezing' sign on all creams apart from single cream. When it defrosts, it does not seem so 'smooth' though, it has a textured feel to it, if that makes sense. Maybe if you whip it a little you'd get rid of that.
  • Stargirl12
    Stargirl12 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Hi - we quite often freeze double cream but it always defrosts as a solid lump and then separates when heated for sauces...

can anyone tell me if it can be whipped after freezing? (already have some in the freezer) and why whipping before freezing stops it seperating?

Thanks!
  • Cream is one of those things I buy occassionaly but struggle to use it all and it is so wasteful! I freeze milk. Apparently you can freeze yoghurt so can you freeze cream? I'm thinking no but teach me oh money savers!
    Trying hard to remember... "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." David Coperfield
    [STRIKE]C/C £800[/STRIKE] paid off February! :T
    And onto the next...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family