credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• niccy
    niccy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    i haven't had time to read the whole of this thread, but the Halifax phoned me yesterday "had i tried to use my card online at comet and had i bought £30 PAYG O2 top up" no to both,the card hasn't left house since i got it,although have used it online,"would i mind if they reported to the police" no not at all,i will have to sign something for the £30 top up,but otherwise all o.k.I thanked them very much, well done for spotting the bas*****
    living on the "edge"
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just spoke to a victim of the Greasby (Wirral) Garage Scam.

Her card was hit for £3,000 worth of ATM withdrawals in just over a fortnight in Liverpool.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crankup wrote: »
    Just got my CC statement today. I had 10 x £100 transactions with ITunes over a weekend end of May! I dont even have an ITunes account. :mad:

CC issuer closed the card, and said as it was "Cardholder Not Present" transactions they will claim the money back from Itunes and I would not be charged. And issue me a new card.

Prior to this I had only used the card 4 times recently - 2 Asda till purchases, 1 Morrison petrol purchase, and an online camping store. Hmmmmm.....

That is the standard pattern: Try the card details on a low cost simple purchase, to see if they work and then go for the big hit.

Be warned, you might still turn out to be a victim of this crime, from now on be sure to have a wad of real cash in you wallet.

My ongoing experience is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5494846#post5494846

It looks like the credit card issuers are now going after the merchants: Chip and Pin dumps the identity problem back on the customer.
    Now non compliance with "security standards" will prove that the "merchant" is at fault.

Thursday's Radio 4 "You and Yours" featured an item explaining that the 5 underlying credit card networks have created "The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council" to impose standards on merchants' systems to secure their networks, avoid viruses and all other malware, comply with personal data protection and delete old information"
    Can I hear the sound of stable doors slamming after the TJX/TK Maxx data heist?

You can see the way this is going: You use your card to pay the local taxi company and the two of you are left to sort out the mess between you, because it cannot be the banks fault in any way.

That said, I'm all in favour of the PCISSC going after Orange and Sky (in my case), who should know better than accept a CC without checking out the card holder's name and address. (note both those companies were selling something that would cost them nothing extra to supply: "airwaves", So they were risking virtually nothing by doing a transaction against hookey credit card details. The same is true of I-Tunes.)

John.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/items/06/2007_25_thu.shtml

(If the "Real Player" won't work, the item is 46 minutes into the whole program)

MSE has attracted a night time audience of American cousins.
    I am pleased to see that they seem to have a more robust attitude to this crime:

"It's rare to spend the extra (government) funds to chase online theft, when the merchant makes an easy target for being in possession of stolen money".

For government read FBI. There is also a description of "Gold Farming" if you don't know what that is.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5532116#post5532116
  • lordash
    lordash Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, I just found out that my bank account has been emptied after loosing my visa debit card earlier today, phoned as soon as I realised card was missing, and was told 22 purchases had been made from it during the hours of 11:30pm and 1:30am, most of which were for £50 each!!! Still do not know where the purchases had been made, but this has led me to only having £50 availiable in my overdraft to last the whole month (unless I get the money credited in time). :eek: :eek: :eek: I have no idea how I am going to survive as I need to pay £320 rent, credit card payments and car insurance premium this month! Do you know if Halifax are particularly fast at dealing with this sort of thing or if they are likely to increase my OD??

It really is quite scary how information like CC numbers is dealt with. I used to work for one well-known supermarket, and I could quite easily get the details (CC no, expiry, security code, address, tel, etc.) of any customer who had ever shopped online or placed an instore order just by pressing a few buttons on the stores PC. Just goes to show how secure these systems are.
    DEBT OUTSTANDING [14.01.12]: £6,900 / £21,725 (REPAID 68%)
  • James
    Options
    lordash, sorry to learn of your experience.

I'd go right down the nick (If you live in England, Wales or Northern Irleand) and report this to the police. Reason being your card issuer will probably put pressure on you by asking you how they got hold of your PIN.

Tell your card issuer you've done this and ask them to tell the appropriate police force in the areas they've used the card soonest. (They maybe able to retrieve CCTV evidence).

This maybe wishful thinking, but it's more power to your elbow if your card issuer attempts to shif the 'PIN negligence' onto you.

Good luck
  • James
    Options
    Used the ATM recently at Tesco's, in Courtney Road, Gillingham?

Then check your statement.

Story here.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    James wrote: »
    Used the ATM recently at Tesco's, in Courtney Road, Gillingham?

Then check your statement.

Story here.

Thanks for this posting James; I notice it says if you have suspicions then contact the police, don't do a Jack Straw and "have a go" yourself.:rolleyes:

Can I leave it to you to comment on today's BBC R4 "Moneybox"? In my present mood I would be in court for libel if I told you what I really think of the "female person" put forward to tell us the new non crime introduced in April, is a logical solution to the problem.
    Spin spin spin
    >:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:?????????

I have recorded the program, so I know exactly what she said. I just wonder how many fraudsters she has ever arrested?

Harry
  • James
    Options
    Just read in the Guardian the estimated haul of the garage scam frausters was £30 Million.

It's probably still going on, but I doubt if we'll hear about it anymore.
  • James
    Options
    I thought' we (the public) had heard the last of cards being cloned and PINs captured.

I wonder how this one slipped through?

Used your cards in DISS? Check your statements.

Police Launch Card Cloning Probe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport