credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Garage card cloning scam toll tops 200

Keep checking those statements.

Story click here.

PS Excuse typo - should read: Dorset Garage Scam Update
  • catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local newspaper is advising people to change their pin numbers in case their cards have been scammed, but my other half(s) card was used to purchase top up credit over the phone. How do they do that (purchase with his details)? especially as I am told they need the card security code.

And if they did it by cloning the card, what is the point of telling people to change their pin?
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our local newspaper is advising people to change their pin numbers in case their cards have been scammed
    [...]
    what is the point of telling people to change their pin?
    None in this particular case - the PIN wasn't used in the purchase.
    How do they do that (purchase with his details)? especially as I am told they need the card security code.
    The clone (if it was that) included the security code (handwritten/etc.)

No PIN required.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Dealmad
    Dealmad Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    Makes me sick all these scum bags cloning cards etc....it makes you think twice about where you use your card and it shouldn't have to be this way.

Also makes me wonder if some of the people what work at the call centres are not corrupted as there will always be one or two ...im sure i saw a program once when one guy at a call centre was recording phone conversations and getting peoples details to sell to other people etc
  • James
    Options
    Well done the Old Bill.

Story here.

Gemma Smith from APACS says the magstrips were copied. Question is, how are these crooks obtaining peoples PINs on an industrial scale?
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    James wrote: »
    Gemma Smith from APACS says the magstrips were copied. Question is, how are these crooks obtaining peoples PINs on an industrial scale?
    From the article:
    Fraudsters had targeted retailers — including Shell garages — to get the card details.
    If you're paying for petrol (or whatever) and (a) your card gets swiped and (b) you need to enter your pin in a separate device, it opens up the possibility that they're accumulating details they shouldn't.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • James
    Options
    T-Mobile hit by top up scam

Story click here:

• knowledgeman
    Options
    Not really newsworthy

The mobile phone companies have always been riddled by fraud transactions and will continue to be

The level of fraud with mobile companies is no worse now than it was a few months ago
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Hi knowledgeman,

You know, I know and James knows that the mobile phone companies are riddled with fraud.
    Companies that sell something that marginally costs them next to nothing, like phone calls, using a farthing's worth of electricity, will always be tempted to get slack on their security.

However, do all the punters out there, even the wise ones reading this thread, realise how big internet internet fraud is getting, because of the couldn't care less attitude of some traders.

My personal experience of this crime has demonstrated to me that it is NOT a victim less crime, I now have credit cards that I cannot trust, never knowing when they are going to be rejected (I'm probably flagged in the credit card secret world as a potential fraudster, because who knows, perhaps I was involved in the scam (like the driver who over insures his rust bucket car, still on HP, and then torches it, having reported it stolen?))

It is no surprise to me that "Orange" was the largest fraudulent transaction, and "Tesco" was the trader that checked and spotted the fraud.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=3848546&highlight=car#post3848546

If an employee of a 'phone company thinks his company is being unfairly branded as slack on security, perhaps he would like to come on here and tell us all why his company is the exception.

Regards,

John.

PS James it has occurred to me that I could scratch the identity code off the signature panel of my "non-internet" cards BUT i've a feeling that would make my cards invalid??
  • poohbear1
    poohbear1 Posts: 10,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi....I need some help...

I've just found out my credit card has been used on the internet and over the phone. I found out today because I received a parking receipt in the post of which I knew nothing about.

I've informed the credit card company etc...but the worse thing is, not only have they got hold off my card details but they have my address..

How can I protect my other accounts etc....I feel so sick and I don't know how they got this information.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
    JUNE: Wine - DVD :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport