Improve your screen's clarity for Free

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
A tip to improve some computer's screen clarity (and worsen others, so try it, it's easy to reverse). Go to your computer's control panel, click Display, then Appearances, then effects and change your screen font from "standard" to "clear type".

Click reply to discuss.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi Martin,
    I did what you suggested but found it very 'blurry!' wonder why?
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • NellyLock
    NellyLock Posts: 487 Forumite
    now i believe clear type is mainly to be used with flat screen monitors...microsoft have a little walk thru application to see if clear type is for you...
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm

neil

*edit: you need to be using internet explorer to make this little app work
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Even with the tuner process I find the text too blurry with Cleartype on my flat screen. I think it's really for the older LCD (pre-TFT) laptop screens.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • I tried it on my computer which is XP and a couple of years old, and I think it's great! I'm going to use it on my laptop as well. Much easier to read and a lot clearer. I think it's something to try and if you don't like it, it's easy to reverse. Any more computer tips?
  • RowaN
    RowaN Posts: 184 Forumite
    Blinky - it works fine on TFT screens. But it is NOT for CRT monitors (will look worse)! Cleartype is microsofts nickname for sub pixel font rendering, something introduced into Windows XP. Mac OSes have been using it since the 80's IIRC. For a tech explanation of how (and why!) sub pixel font rendering works check out http://www.grc.com/cleartype.htm
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
  • Got no probs on my CRT screen, I think it definately looks clearer. Mind you I have just had a letter from the opticions.
    Down south where, unfortunately, the government does remember us.
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    I have an 18 inch Dell TFT and it made it more blurry. I switched back to standard.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • RowaN
    RowaN Posts: 184 Forumite
    by defintition of this technology (see GRC link above) there is no reason why it makes sense for use on CRT screens. Yet Microsoft says "Readability on CRT screens can also be somewhat improved." but how.. I'm not sure. Looks a mess when I tried it on a CRT screen (as expected).
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
  • NellyLock
    NellyLock Posts: 487 Forumite
    Viz wrote:
    I have an 18 inch Dell TFT and it made it more blurry. I switched back to standard.

is that the ultrasharp 1800?? if so did u use the application above...i believe dell have used "BGR ClearType configuration" which is diff to normal c/type...try the app if u didnt already if not each to their own eh?

neil
  • pennyminnow
    pennyminnow Posts: 11 Forumite
    Just Changed To Clear Type As Tip Above.
    Guess I Won`t Need Those Cheap Glasses From Glassesdirect After All
    Free Tip And Saved Money
    Can`t Be Bad
    :cool2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business