'Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?' Money Moral Dilemma

As it's MSE's 7th Birthday we decided to dig out our first ever MMD to get your fresh views on it:
Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Hilary is nipping off to Spain for a long weekend; her daughter Chelsea wants her to buy 40 packets of cigarettes as they're a fraction of the price over there and she'll save serious cash. Yet Hilary hates smoking and especially the fact Chelsea smokes in the house where her 5 year old son (and Hilary's grandson) little Bill lives; however if she doesn't buy them Chelsea will buy them elsewhere and they'll be much more costly.
Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Yes she should buy them, and tell her daughter to spend the extra money on her son! Why waste the extra money? x
    'Patience is a virtue till we die.
    Then a ripple in the water caught my eye'
    Mrs Jason Orange.
    Getting organized and thrifty for christmas 2010!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No, why would you "treat" a loved one to someting that is bad for them??! If Chelsea wants to waste her cash on fags rather than spend responsibly on her child then that is her choice.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Buy them. Then sell them back off to her at a cheaper price than UK retail stores but more than you bought them for. Everyone's a winner :D
  • I always get people asking me to buy them cigarettes when I go abroad.

I refused every time.

Let them pay the UK tax so the system at least gets some money in to it to pay for all the health problems they will get later on in life
  • How about making a deal - buy her the cigarettes on the condition that she stops smoking in the house (ie around the child) PERMANENTLY
  • IIRC you can only import tobacco for your own personal consumption. So, selfish Chelsea's smoking habits aside, it would be illegal for Hilary to bring them back for her. A simple but genuine reason, hopefully preventing yet another argument on presumably a well-rehearsed theme.
  • And who's to know that they aren't for Hilary's consumption. I'm with tjramage on this on. Sell them to her, though that in itself is illegal, but still once again who's to know. Either sell them to her at a slightly less than they are in the shops here and make her make a donation of the half the money she's saved to a cancer charity.
  • monopoly_money
    monopoly_money Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2010 at 11:28PM
    As nice as it is for someone to bring back cheap tobacco from abroad, its illegal if its not for personal consumption.
    MM

(sorry missed this page, damn glasses)
    Reclaimed unfair charges on 5 credit cards, £1,800 :T got all my money plus 8% interest and court costs :T chuffed to bits! cheers Martin!
  • No! Let her have the guilt of spending on cigs when she could spend it on her child - don't condone what you don't approve of!
  • No! Let her have the guilt of spending on cigs when she could spend it on her child - don't condone what you don't approve of!

Hi, I totally agree with you, but... she may not be neglecting her child. but.... she shouldnt be subjecting her child to passive smoking.. childrens lungs are at their most vulnerable stage in infancy. and thats a crying shame.
    MM
    Reclaimed unfair charges on 5 credit cards, £1,800 :T got all my money plus 8% interest and court costs :T chuffed to bits! cheers Martin!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure