Great 'Fave Sub-£5 Beauty Products' Hunt?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 15 February 2010 at 11:55AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Whilst men think we just roll out of bed looking fresh as a daisy, it takes time and effort for us girls too look great! But it can sometimes be a bit costly, so we're asking MoneySavers to tell us what their fave under £5 beauty products are.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• fern37
    fern37 Posts: 8
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2010 at 3:35PM
    Love Clarins 'Beauty Flash Balm' but want something cheaper.....read on...

Years ago, I read a review of expensive vs cheap alternative facial products. I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but couldn't afford the price tag so I was interested to read that Superdrug did something similar but way more cheaper.

It's called NATURALHIGH RADIANCE BALM and it is approx £4. Smells gorgeous and I think it does the same job as the expensive Clarins Flash Balm.

Hope this helps someone.
  • It's on offer online at the moment at £1.95!!! Have just bought two :j
  • King of Shaves Azor with a total of 3 blades is on offer at Superdrug at £2.50, normally you pay at least £1 a blade. I bought 6 last time I was there!
    *removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
  • mcjj
    mcjj Posts: 34 Forumite
    fern37 wrote: »
    Love Clarins 'Beauty Flash Balm' but want something cheaper.....read on...

Years ago, I read a review of expensive vs cheap alternative facial products. I used to use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm but couldn't afford the price tag so I was interested to read that Superdrug did something similar but way more cheaper.

It's called NATURALHIGH RADIANCE BALM and it is approx £4. Smells gorgeous and I think it does the same job as the expensive Clarins Flash Balm.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for this, where do you buy it?
  • Simple's face wipes are £2.99 for a pack of 25 and are possibly the best I've ever used - they shift make-up really easily but don't dry your skin out.

Simple also do an excellent range for oily yet sensitive skin (as opposed to most skincare companies which think sensitive always equals dry) which all comes in at less than £5.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Superdrug Vitamin E range is excellent, all 1/2 price at the moment so less than £2!

Savers sell Nivea facial wipes 2 x25 packs for about £2.99.

M&S do a range of make up for less than £5 an item which is very good.
  • This charity blogger recommends here mixing sugar or salt to ordinary facial cleanser to turn it into exfoliating cleanser (which usually costs more); she says that most exfoliating cleansers that you buy have non-biodegradable plastic bits to provide the "grit" that end up in fish so it's doubly a good idea.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2010 at 3:37PM
    vaseline is so cheap and so versatile. A small pot costs just over £1 and lasts me months.

use it as a lipbalm, on it's own, or over or under lipstick.
    use on cheekbones and brow bones for a dewy glow
    use to keep unruly eyebrows in place.
    great for small areas of dry skin
    even works as a great nappy/barrier cream :D
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Palmers lipbalm; the normal one is under £2 and the mint chocolate or cherry chocolate ones are £2.49 and are yummy plus work, even on the driest lips like mine. Also Palmers Cocoa Butter is the best body lotion I've found and is again under £5.

Rimmel Hide The Blemish is the best high street brand concealer, and their soft kajal eye kohl is a fantastic eyeliner; both are under £5.

The Johnsons face wipes in the pink packaging are great for dry skin and are about £3.99.
  • bebebelle
    bebebelle Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    It has to be mememe Poppy cheek tint its about £5.00 and on offer at the moment at superdrug . Its a great dupe for Benefit Posie.

Im gonna love this thread, as I make it my mission to find good cheaper alternatives of higher end products.

Marks and spencers have good well priced make up from about £2.50. Although I dont rate the staying power of some items. Its trial and errror.
    I appreciate Each and Every win. I thank every comp poster from the bottom of my heart :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure