Great 'Big Freeze Tips' Hunt

With record icy temperatures and more snow on the way, Britain's grinding to a halt. Whether it's stocking up on canned goods or bringing out your skiing gear, we'd like your top tips for surviving the big freeze.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Such a simple tip, but after slipping all over pavements in my work shoes and trainers, I started wearing my wellie boots, which have surprisingly good grip on the soles and stop any wetness getting to my feet. They make walking in the ice and snow so much easier and worth the hassle of carrying other shoes to change into at work etc.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • ChrisCobra
    ChrisCobra Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Take your young ones to school in a sledge if theyre at that age , they do over here.

Walk in the fresh part of snow , more grip so you dont slip.

Dont drive out in ice unless its an absolute emergency , it could save your life or serious damage to yourself and others.

Put the heating on now and then to avoid freezing pipes!
  • mummy_Jay
    mummy_Jay Posts: 495 Forumite
    Sweep your drive & paths off (when the snow is fresh to make it eaiser) to avoid it turning to ice.

If you really must drive, go really slowly and don't rev your engine. (can't believe the amont of cars I've seen sliding in the last week cos they're puting the foot down on the accelerator on ice)

If you must drive anywhere have a blanket and shovel, just incase. Always carry a phone with you, just incase.
  • Evansangel
    Evansangel Posts: 6,791
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All the snow has turned to ice in Portsmouth, some people have been shoveling it away on the street outside their house, but others haven't.

Maybe offer to shovel theirs or maybe lend them your shovel?

Not everyone has one, and its a big help for when you need to walk down side roads :)
  • Glitzkiss
    Glitzkiss Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    If you are cold wear lots of thin layers instead of one thick layer of clothing. The thin layers trap and contain your body heat better.

Carry some old mats/carpets in your car. If you get stuck in the snow stick them under the wheels that the engine provides the power to and they'll create a more suitable surface to get you moving.

Don't try driving a rear-wheel drive car in the snow :p:D
  • daisy1973
    daisy1973 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Glitzkiss wrote: »

Don't try driving a rear-wheel drive car in the snow :p:D

If you do drive a rear-wheel car make sure you have got plenty of weight at the back,helps even things out abit.:D
    £365 in 365 days challenge(dec 09/ dec 10)£62 banked:D
    Feb GC /£390(me,DH,DD(17),DS(12)2dogs)
    (food,drink,household goods,toiletries,petrol)
    Drop one thing in 2010 challenge-Magazines
    50,000 situps by end of 2010 1024/20,000(own target):)
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Candles - have a stock of tealights about in case of powercuts and also light a few in the evening - they actually give off a surprising amount of heat - especially if you close the doors to the livingroom :) Buy a large bag from IKEA :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • I've been stuck in my house for the last week because of the snow but as a result haven't spent anything! Because the supermarket delivery van hasn't been able to reach me I've had to eat my way through all the stuff in the freezer and the cupboards I'd probably never have got round to thereby saving even more.

I'm therefore donating some money to the charities I support from my savings this week - if your week has been like mine, why not do the same for your favourite charities?
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2010 at 7:48PM
    Wear old socks over your shoes/wellies - really gives grip on the ice.

Make sure you feed the birds & keep them supplied with fresh/unfrozen water.

Check on elderly neighbours - see if they need anything.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Evansangel wrote: »
    All the snow has turned to ice in Portsmouth, some people have been shoveling it away on the street outside their house, but others haven't.

Maybe offer to shovel theirs or maybe lend them your shovel?

Not everyone has one, and its a big help for when you need to walk down side roads :)

The thought of lending a shovel is a good one.

I've been wondering at intervals whether to use a shovel to remove ice on "my" bit of pavement - but instantly stymied each time I think of it because I dont actually HAVE a shovel. Wouldnt find the use for one enough to warrant buying one - and wouldnt have the space to keep one anyway in my tiny little house. So - I've ended up each time I think about it just hoping that someone else nearby has one and is publicspirited enough to do a few other peoples "bits of pavement" as well as their "own".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure