MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you pay for no-show?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you pay for no-show?

Your friends are celebrating their wedding anniversary and have invited you and 17 others to a posh restaurant for a set £40 a head dinner. Six people fail to show up. You’re leaving early and go to pay your bit of the bill, and find it's now £57 a head – as the restaurant is charging for all 20 people who should’ve come, (its pre-stated policy). You know your friends couldn’t afford to foot the bill for all six, do you pay up £57 or just £40 – and leave it to be sorted by the rest.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Would you sell a story on a mate for £20K?
Should Roman Rockafella leave all his money to his kids?
Would you keep a mistaken 'double refund'?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Archna wrote: »
    Six people fail to show up.

No. Those six people should still be paying the £40 each otherwise they're not very good friends. It's usually best to collect the money beforehand to avoid disputes like this.
  • No, you are not responsible for no shows, you are only responsible for paying your
    own usage. It is unfortunate that the hosts will have to resolve the matter them selves.
  • It is not an ideal way to celebrate a wedding anniversary by making "guests" pay for their invitation but to accept then not show up is reprehensible. It would be the hosts' responsibility to make good the shortfall and collect from the missing people later.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Sunny_Saver Posts: 3,044
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I agree, it's for the hosts to collect the owed money, not for guests to have to cough up for those who didn't show.

The hosts should have made it clear to everyone that it's £40 per head and if anyone doesn't show after booking they still have to pay.

Having said that, if the hosts invited us, shouldn't they be paying?
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • I would give the host the heads up so they could let everyone else know the situation and contribute if possible. I would also ask the restaurant if there was any way they could soften the blow by giving for example a doggy bag for the food they were charging us for - it's worth asking!
    I agree it is the host's responsibility overall but I would definately contribute in this situation but make damn sure any future occasions were paid for in advance.
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Nope. I doubt I wouldve gone in the first place anyway having to pay to go to a party !
    The persons organising should have collected the monies on booking the places
    :hello:
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Had this happen to me [as organiser of a team night out] wrt taxi/minibus hire....only ONCE though!! lol

What I did from that night on was get a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit from everyone who said they were going out.

One little tweak was that I always made the deposit deliberately more than their share of the bus hire, that way if they didn't go not only was there no shortfall in paying for the minibus, but we actually had money left over to go in a kitty for all those who did turn up....lol
  • Yes, if they were good friends I would.
    :beer:
  • You don't pay to go to a party where someone is celebrating something in their life! Would you pay to go to a wedding or funeral? I don't think so.
  • Of course I would pay the additional £17 - these people are friends! What sort of friend would I be if I left them to sort it out for me?
    I would however seriously consider my views on the missing guests especially if, after understanding the result of their non attendance, did not offer to pay up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure