November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Morning everyone - just wanted to say Welcome to all the Newbies, you'll soon be addicted like all of us are.:p

Also hugs to those that need them especially cw18 and MRSMC good luck with the Hospital stay.:grouphug:

Making some HM Chilli for Dinner tonight, a recipe from a friend of mine where you add Baked Beans, Kidney beans etc to bulk it out, not had it for ages so just the sort of warming dish we need when it's cold like this.:D

My new GC starts today as it's Payday so popping into Lidl's for a few bits as have friends coming over for Dinner on Saturday, just need a few starter bits as Main Course is going to be made with Ingredients from the Chest Freezer. I have managed to empty 2 Drawers so far so only 2 more to go and then I can stock up for Xmas.:D

Have a good day everyone.:D

EDIT:- Forgot to mention that I have made some Xmas Chutney this week, made with Oranges & Dried Apricots:-

5 Oranges Chopped(bought a SP bag from Asda for 87p with some leftover)
    500g Dried Apricots Chopped
    450g Sliced Onions
    450g Caster Sugar
    1 tsp Salt
    Half Tsp Ground Cloves
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
    Half Tsp Chilli Powder
    Half Tsp Ground Mace
    1 tsp Curry Powder
    1 tsp Mustard Seeds
    1 tsp Turmeric
    700ml Cider Vinegar (I used 2 x 350ml Bottles from Tesco at 46p a bottle)

Fry Mustard Seeds until they start to pop and then add the onions to fry for a couple of mins then add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about an hour and a half or until at the consistency you like. Let it cool slightly and then put into sterilised jars - should make approx 5 jars, I just used all different odd sized jars I had been saving so you may get more or less.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• pollysg
    pollysg Posts: 207
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi! Can I please declare at £188 for November, rather over but closer than last month, and could you please put me down for £150 again for December.

Thank you
    Polly
  • Karb
    Karb Posts: 853
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Its going to be touch and go for me. I do calendar months so still have four days to go, and around £10 left if I want to hit my target.

I should be fine for hitting my petrol spend target. There's not much left in the tank but unless I have to make any significant unplanned journeys over the weekend I should have enough left to last me until the end of the month.

My grocery spend total includes all food spend (including meals out, takeaways, cups of coffee on the train etc) as well as all cleaning products, toiletries and medicines for 7 people, 1 dog, 2 rabbits and 13 fish. I'm quite pleased with my efforts because I was a fair bit over target last month. Hopefully its a sign that I'm getting into some good habits.

My spend also includes a few lunches that I've bought when I've had to travel for work purposes and can claim back on expenses. Hopefully these will be in my pay packet tomorrow - if so I'll deduct them from my total and this should mean that I'll come in slightly under target. Sometimes the payment doesn't go through in time though, in which case I'll probably end up slightly over target.

For December I'm setting myself £450 for groceries and £100 petrol to account for the extra food and travelling over Christmas.

Good luck everybody
    Debt free since December 2015. It can be done

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    We are having problems with the Bread machine. Its not rising at all, so yesterday my planned NS day ment I had to buy a loaf of bread. Cheapest was 65p.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ZLS1984
    ZLS1984 Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    I dnt use a bread machiene any more I was not happy with the quality. I do it by hand now its great for getting my anger out lol.

I am so happy today my lovely mum has bought me a slow cooker for Xmas and I think I might be able to get it early. Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooo
    :wave: Wins in 09 = A vodka cocktail kit thing lol, £150 Amazon voucher.
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone - just updated my signature and I am pleased to say that I made it this month by a comfortable margin - however, this was largely because we were away for a long weekend and ate out more than once though this came out of the holiday budget!

Anyway I am declaring at £275.78- under by £24.22

I am setting a budget of £350 for December to last from today till 31st. I have managed to save about £100 by putting a £1 a day away for Christmas (not everyday but nearly) since the end of the summer and I am going to use this for the Christmas groceries - though it will still count as coming out of the GC money. I will use my Nectar points to pay for the first shop in the New year, always a help in the post Christmas gloom!

Will see you all over in the December challenge. Good luck everyone.

Moniker
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I was looking for the December thread but I guess I am too early ! Anyway please put me down for £350 for Dec whoever is looking after the thread and good luck Mrs M with the hospital stay - hope all goes well for you.

love Moniker
  • Mooloo wrote: »
    We are having problems with the Bread machine. Its not rising at all, so yesterday my planned NS day ment I had to buy a loaf of bread. Cheapest was 65p.
    I used to have a wonderful b/m and then it broke and I bought a slightly smaller one but it can be a bit hit and miss - obviously you have checked your yeast is in date, I've always used good yeast and still had problems. I have however found out that if I throw all the dry ingrediants in and then the liquid and finally the yeast and leave it overnight to come on about 4 in the morning it always rises - thought it might be worth you trying.
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm declaring at £333.70 thats £6.30 to add to my savings jar.I've been really good and every time I save any money on things I had to buy I put the extra in my jar which gets decanted into high interest account at the end of the month.I'm not sure what target for Dec,dont want to be too frugal and go over budget or too splurgy and get carried away! I'll go for £400and hope there's something left.All the best Mrs M for the hospital.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi all I am declaring at £225.94 not brilliant but not bad as the end of this month has been a nightmare, dd1 and ds2 had birthdays,were budgeted for but not the meals out, we needed nice chill out time, attempted break in of our garage so new locks!! dishwasher pipe blocked very wet kitchen, followed by washing machine pipe split wet kitchen again! and the very sad loss of my brother so every other budget has been blown to bits, so its a miracle I even came this close on the food budget. £250 for december please it has got to be a better month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure