Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 91

New Post Advanced Search

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1K replies 79.5K views

Replies

• Thanks Jenny, Yes and the toucan's got lots of company now..and the fridge has still got food in it! This GC challenge is a bit like a no diet diet in the sense that we are eating better than we did Pre Challenge and we're saving loads of money. SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • I have been absent for afew months but am pleased to have done well for those months.

For Dec, Please put me down for £318.15

Good luck everyone

Clare
  • I am declaring at £363 for November.

Please put me down for £350 for December.

Was a but disappointed to go over budget until I realised it covered a 5 week month supermarket shop wise. as 1 shop just missed out being included in October figure.

Sept - budget £300 -spend £400
    Oct - budget £375 - spend £325
    Nov - budget £350 -spend £363

Figure includes all food eaten at home (except DH takeaway once a week)all my lunches & some DH lunches during the week, all food & household shopping & all alcohol - 2 adults & 1 chid
  • Morning everyone - just logging on quickly to declare total for Nov £246.11. Really struggled to decide what to set it at for December as everyone coming here and still need to buy a Turkey, a Gammon, booze etc etc so setting target for December £350. I thought it sounded a lot but when I look back at what I was spending before I joined the GC I don't feel so bad so Big Thanks to everyone for all the support and GOOD LUCK to those still to declare. Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing really well this month - thanks to DS leaving home and no energy to go out to the shops.

OH and I are eating out of the freezer and cupboards to make some space, we are not having much company for Xmas this year, all the kids live elsewhere and are working most of the time. I usually have tons of goodies stashed in the wardrobe by now but this year its a couple of 2 for £7 tins of chocs from Asda and a packet of biscuits!!

The freezer is chocker with meat so I have nothing to buy on that score, though I will have to go out tonight to get stuff for DD's 21st party tomorrow (different budget).

OH is getting a bit depressed at the job situation, his current temp contract finishes after Xmas and there is nothing on the horrizon - though the nature of temp work is it pops up suddenly, but a permanent job would be nice:D

(((Hugs))) to all who need them
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We stayed within the £50 target (just) veg box delivery today has taken total up to £49.14:eek: phew! could only do it by also joining the storecupboard challenge, think it might be worth doing that more often, just to keep a check on stores that need using up.

Going to have to raise the budget for next month, we need some cheer as dd is being made redundant! - £250 for December Grocery Challenge. I've made the mincemeat and the cake but need to get the meat in and all the sundries.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Hi Everyone

Can I join you for December??? I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and think that this board will really help me.

Bascically i want to cut down my grocery bill, I had a shock when last month I checked my balance only to find that I was £1000 overdrawn. We looked into it to see why we were so overdrawn and apart from spending £500 on doing up our new kitchen, we had spent £860 in Tescos. This was for me and OH, a 2 year old and a 5 month old!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! :o:o:o:o:o So the mission is to cut down our grocery bill to £450 for December, which I think should be comfortably do-able. We tried shopping in lidl which didn't work as we got too tempted by the special offers and ended up spending £177 which did last us around 2 weeks but was still ridiculous. So yesterday me, OH and the babies went Old Style shopping. We went to Iceland for frozen and cupboard stuff, the market for fruit and veg and to the butchers. It felt really Christmassy and really enjoyed ourselves, especially since we went to the Bakers and got ourselves a cake each for being so good! It did take about 3 hours but it did feel like a day out and the girls were happy in the pram all wrapped up. In all we spent £90 which included Nappies bought from Boots (to get the points), this is compared to a bill of at least £150 if i had gone to Tescos. I bought loads of fruit and veg which i have been busy purreeing for the little one, so I'm feeling really positive!! Ooooh I've also dug out the breadmaker but haven't got round to using it yet!

I will work on my signitiure today once i can work it out!! Hope i can join in with you all this month. The mission is to be able to stay off work, I'm on mat leave at the moment and really don't want to go back. We should be able to survive comfortably on OH's wages but first i have to prove it to him - so thats my mission!!! Wish me luck!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Hello all,

Have come in over budget (again!) at £151.70 so I'm only £1.70 over budget and I have "spare" meals from Nov that can be used in December and I've been using less mince and bulking out beyond belief with veggies I'd have previously "ignored" so some of those meals are lasagnes and chilli's. Some of the wine I bought for november is still in the fridge (it's the miracle season after all!:T ) so I won't need to get any of that either. Also we go away for two weeks over christmas which means the budget for December only has to stretch 3 weeks so may I please be included for December at £100 thank you!

SR
    No outfit is complete without cat hair or baby vomit :j
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone and welcome poffigirl.I've been MIA because we're getting the kitchen done.We're trying not to stress out with the fridge and the chest freezer in the living room and the constant mess.I'm still sticking to the challenge though and I reckon I'll do it,finishing on Friday,mainly down to not being able to find anything.We spent an hour looking for a cheese grater before we lost the will to live! It will be worth it I keep muttering to myself.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome blondy and poffigirl and any other newbies :hello: Pink-winged will be starting the December challenge thread within the next 2 or 3 days.

Best advice I found on the GC (many moons ago!) is to list what's in the cupboards and freezer, using that list work out a meal plan for the next week/fortnight/month (whichever suits you); then write a shopping list and stick to it - although I always allow a few £ extra in case I see a really good offer. ;)

poffigirl, click on the blue 'User CP' on the top menu, then 'edit signature'

russetred, hang in there, it will be worth it :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener