PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi mum of 4,

I'm not sure about the tesco one in particular but I have used terracotta dishes in the freezer before with no problems. I had a quick look on google and it seems that many terracotta dishes are freezer safe.

Pink
  • mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Hi mum of 4,

I'm not sure about the tesco one in particular but I have used terracotta dishes in the freezer before with no problems. I had a quick look on google and it seems that many terracotta dishes are freezer safe.

Pink

thanks, i'll get Mum to buy them anyway but always helps if they can go in the freezer. They have some nice size bowls for £2.50 that would be great for a pie for one, sometimes i only have enough leftovers for one extra portion and my dishes are all quite big.
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mum_of_4 wrote: »
    thanks, i'll get Mum to buy them anyway but always helps if they can go in the freezer. They have some nice size bowls for £2.50 that would be great for a pie for one, sometimes i only have enough leftovers for one extra portion and my dishes are all quite big.

Sometimes when I'm freezing food I line the dish with cling film then add the food and freeze. When it's frozen I take the food out of the dish and freeze it in a freezer bag. That way it takes up less room in the freezer and I can continue to use the dish for other things. Because the food is frozen in the mould of the dish, when I want to use it, I just lift it out of the freezer and pop it back into the dish to defrost or reheat.

Reading that back, I'm not sure it will make sense to anyone but me, but I hope it helps.

Pink
  • mum_of_4
    mum_of_4 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm freezing food I line the dish with cling film then add the food and freeze. When it's frozen I take the food out of the dish and freeze it in a freezer bag. That way it takes up less room in the freezer and I can continue to use the dish for other things. Because the food is frozen in the mould of the dish, when I want to use it, I just lift it out of the freezer and pop it back into the dish to defrost or reheat.

Reading that back, I'm not sure it will make sense to anyone but me, but I hope it helps.

Pink

don't worry - it makes sense to me and is a really useful tip. I went back to Mr T and got 2 small dishes with my coupons so a real money saver. Making fish pie tonight so i'll try your idea out this afternoon.
    Kind Regards
    Maz

self sufficient - in veg and eggs from the allotment
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    I second dawnteabag's last question...

Can you simply wash and cut peppers then freeze them? Or do they need further preparation such as blanching?

I've just cut mine (getting too cold outside now :eek: ) so I need to know what to do sharpish ;) LOL

Any advice welcome.
    :wave:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dawnteabag wrote: »
    Do you do anything to prepare the peppers for freezing or just chop and freeze? I don't like the frozen peppers that you can buy as they seem to be very stringy and badly prepared.

I just chop them and freeze - same as onions. But they go soft after freezing so if you stir fry them from frozen they won't have their crunch ;)

I cook them straight from frozen usually.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would freeze all of them - tray freeze first then put into bags so you can just shake them out as you need them - particularly good for peppers which go off in my fridge if I don't use them in time. I just wash, deseed and chop them before freezing on a tray, covered in cling film (so easy to remove). Once frozen, bag them up.

I blanch carrots, peas and parsnips first (plunge into boiling water, leave for a few mins then plunge into cold water and tray freeze).

I freeze potatoes either by boiling whole and freezing, or boiling and mashing and freezing portions of mash. I think they go black if they aren't cooked before freezing.

All the others on the list, I would just tray-freeze without cooking, then bag up.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Can any of you tell me what vegetables can be frozen.

I mainly use

Green, red, yellow & orange peppers
    Mushrooms
    Onion
    Corn
    Peas
    Carrots
    Parsnip
    Potatoes

and basically it would save me a lot of time if I could just get them out of the freezer after work already washed and chopped and good to go.

Thanks
    Pinky

These threads should help:

Can I Freeze Peppers???

Freezing mushrooms

Freezing onions

freezing sweetcorn

Peas - Help!

Freezing carrots

how to freeze parsnips?

Freezing potatoes

And for more ideas on what you can and can't freeze this thread may help: What foods can/can't you freeze?

I'll add this thread to the Quick Questions on Freezing thread as the replies may be useful to others.

Pink
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my son by mistake took out the wrong pack of prawns on wednesday night to defrost in the fridge ready to make a jacket potato with prawns thursday night. he was supposed to take out a bag of normal size. anyway we did not use them and they are now still sitting in fridge they weigh 180g dated 4th october and is about 12-18 of the things, they were bought already cooked and i now dont know what to do with them. it seems a waste to just throw them away and was considering throwing them into a jar of curry sauce and to refreeze them but not sure you can do this late in the day and whether you can do this with something already cooked when we bought it. although dont want to waste them dont want to kill anyone either?
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi homealone,

Guidelines say that if something has been previously cooked it shouldn't be re-frozen. I don't always stick to guidelines :o but as it's shelfish (which needs to be treated with respect) and was lifted out of the freezer on Wednesday night I wouldn't risk re-freezing but just use them to make yourself a lovely luxurious lunch or something with prawns for dinner tonight.

This thread might give you some ideas:

Prawns help!

I'll add your post to the Quick Questions on Freezing thread later.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport