Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In Ofcom's opinion:

27 August 2008

Thank you for your email regarding the option to override CPS services.

It appears that BT is referring to Sky upgrading some of their CPS customers to WLR (wholesale line rental). There is no obligation on WLR providers to allow indirect access to other companies using an override code. In the majority of cases, WLR providers apply Indirect Access Call Barring (IACB). This prevents customers from being able to route calls via a different operator.

If Sky are upgrading their CPS customers to WLR they would need to have their customers’ agreement. They must also make clear whether there is IACB applied to the service.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Yours sincerely

:: John Ingham
    'Upgrading' is rich; he means 'switching'. However, if Mr Ingham is right, then customers affected would, after the switch, be paying line rental to Sky, not BT. And if Sky is hijacking line rental without telling the customer, and if (inexplicably) BT is not stopping this, then that is slamming. Or is Sky, perhaps, telling people that they can have line rental 'free' as part of a package, without making it clear that they will then be leaving BT?

I also emailed BT, but so far have got only a nonsense reply from someone who does not understand the issue.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Using Google I found this but it is a few years old (2002).

If your CPS provider goes out of business, you will still be able to make calls using an over-ride code until you choose another provider. If your provider is taken over or merges with another company, your CPS service will probably not change.

DOWNLOAD PDF

READ IT ON WEB PAGE
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mr Ingham of Ofcom was wrong. BT Wholesale is now plugging Wholesale Calls Line Independent (WCLI). Details at http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Voice/Wholesale_Calls.html

This gives the offending CP (such as Sky) complete control of call routing, even though the End User is still paying line rental to BT Retail.

This appears to be a way that BT Retail can escape its obligation to allow Indirect Access. I am complaining to Ofcom about that.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    YoungNick wrote: »
    Mr Ingham of Ofcom was wrong. BT Wholesale is now plugging Wholesale Calls Line Independent (WCLI). Details at http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Voice/Wholesale_Calls.html

This gives the offending CP (such as Sky) complete control of call routing, even though the End User is still paying line rental to BT Retail.

This appears to be a way that BT Retail can escape its obligation to allow Indirect Access. I am complaining to Ofcom about that.
    We all need to complain to Ofcom over this otherwise all other CPS providers will just do the same. We need to complain to Ofcom as it restricts our choice of providers for which it was Oftel/Ofcom's intention that we could choose who we wanted to carry what type of call we decided. It's basically stifing competition.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wow very underhand by sky, if primus is only monthly contract I will change to them. Seems cannot sign online have to ring them up?

also cant find that special mobile tariff on their website, only shows the free and the max product.
  • billsavings
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    wow very underhand by sky, if primus is only monthly contract I will change to them. Seems cannot sign online have to ring them up?

also cant find that special mobile tariff on their website, only shows the free and the max product.

You have to phone Primus to get the Penny Mobile Bolt On with Primus Saver 2.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    I have now phoned up and signed up, apperently its possible to do via uswitch but they only offer the line rental package, I forgot about the penny mobile addon so I will again for that after its activated.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Remember unless an official complaint is made to Ofcom that this goes against the whole idea of CPS and the fact that Sky haven't informed anyone, then Sky will get away with it and if they do then its possible other CPS providers will follow suite.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    yeah I will be emailing ofcom as its quite bad whats happened.
  • wakeupalarm
    Options
    What is the process of switching back to BT? I'm on TalkTalk CPS. Do I ring up BT and ask them to cancel the CPS or do I have to call TalkTalk and cancel the service?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure